The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 3, 2007, 04:33 PM   #1
Gary_M

Using a .22 Single Six in Competition?

Hi all,

I've got one of those, and I think it would be fun eventually to do competitive shooting. I'm more interested pure, slow, boring tests of accuracy (no acrobatics, scopes, costumes, or secret handshakes)...just standing and shooting at a target. I have no idea what types of competitions exist where I could do such shooting. And, would a single six be accurate enough for any kind of competition? Thanks!

-Gary
Old August 3, 2007, 04:38 PM   #2
JWT

There are lots of .22s better suited to competitive shooting. The Buckmark and Ruger Mark III come to mind, but there are others just as good.
Old August 3, 2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Gbro

Its as accurate as any SA revolver needs to be. I didn't think so once, but after setting one up with a laser it was evident where the problem was.
As for competition, its a little slow in the reloading department. It can be done but most will go for the auto's.
I have shot a single six in timed fire exercises and it is a challenge.
Find some interested folks at your range and just do it. who knows?
Old August 3, 2007, 09:19 PM   #4
Gary_M

Thanks for the advice!

Thank you for the tips.

I DO want to add a Mark III at some point, but I really like revolvers and would enjoy using it in a competition where it isn't a handicap. (Even if I *did* have a Mark III, I still wouldn't know what kind of competition to look for. I'll figure it out, though.)

Thanks for the tip about starting something up at the range...I just might put out feelers! Also, it's nice to know that someone else has used this gun competitively, even though reloading is a challenge. Time to get my finger dexterity up!

-Gary
Old August 5, 2007, 10:46 AM   #5
Casimer

Revolvers are popular in Silhouette shooting, and there's a 22 class. You might need a scope, but sometimes you'll find reduced range courses that you could shoot w/o one.
Old August 5, 2007, 10:57 AM   #6
Casimer

Revolvers are popular in Silhouette shooting, and there's a 22 class. You might need a scope, but sometimes you'll find reduced range courses that you could shoot w/o one.

[SORRY for the re-post ;P ]