The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 8, 2016, 10:25 PM   #1
5whiskey

Cheap gun cleaning mat

Ok, this is more of a public service announcement and no one may be interested... but I wanted to share my findings...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

So I recently had my 4th child (whom we refer to as 4th baby as a joke, but not really, because we don't have hyper-overprotective parent syndrome). 4th baby is both blessed and cursed. 4th baby must conform to our already busy lifestyle in which 4th baby cannot always be the center of attention. 4th baby is blessed, however, because she has older siblings who love and adore her and are a huge help in taking care of her. We also can afford more niceties for 4th baby... like a wipe warmer.

So while changing 4th baby on our shiny new changing pad the other day, I realized this is the perfect gun cleaning mat. It is large, waterproof, thick, washable, and costs about 1/4th of what a purpose-built gun cleaning mat would cost. It will now protect my kitchen table so that 4th baby doesn't grow up fatherless because her mother killed me for scratching up the table. I had to order another one... you know to make sure that 4th baby doesn't grow up fatherless. I thought I would pass my find on to others.

My daughter's name is Eliza, BTW
Old February 10, 2016, 05:32 PM   #2
cw308

5Whiskey, life has been good to you. Thanks for the info on the mat. I am a grandfather of 8, retired, Vietnam Combat Vet that dodged another bullet. After going through a screening for agent orange , they found a spot on my left lung, cat scan the next day was good. So give your family a big hug. Garth Brooks song, if tomorrow never comes summed it up. Thanks again, Be Well
Old February 10, 2016, 07:56 PM   #3
FITASC

A cheap shower mat from Walmart also works well.......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 10, 2016, 08:09 PM   #4
foxytwo

I use a cheap bath towel, one that the wife does not want anymore. When it gets dirty, she washes it.
Old February 11, 2016, 10:28 AM   #5
g.willikers

Better Half's dinner place mats work well, too.
Not the ones still being used for dinner, of course.
Just the old ones heading for the trash.
I'm cheap not crazy.
Old February 15, 2016, 01:45 AM   #6
StrangeBird1911

Mrs. Bird gave me a sheet of bubble wrap left over from Christmas after I spilled some Hoppes on the kitchen table. Works fine.
Old February 15, 2016, 03:39 AM   #7
gyvel

I always found the dinner place mats you get at the dollar store make good mats.
SIFE