The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 27, 2015, 09:02 AM   #1
D Thomson

Blue Whistler

I have a question about the Blue Whistler ,32 rimfire, is the barrel screwed in or pinned? I am looking at reworking the pistol to 22 rim fire and think it might be as easy to put on a new barrel as line the original. It will be very thin where it goes through the frame if I have to drill it out. I know the pistol is junk and worthless but I think it will be a fun project and it will cost nothing but time and scrap is about 2 cents a #.
Old June 27, 2015, 04:35 PM   #2
RJay

The gun was made by Hopkins and Allen. Because it was made as a very inexpensive revolver I highly doubt it was either pinned or threaded. Both process' take an extra step and as such the cost rises in production, the barrel was probably pressed in. These guns were cheap even in a day of cheap revolvers. Some of these guns do not even have rifling .
Old June 27, 2015, 06:02 PM   #3
D Thomson

It very well could be pressed in. I may see if I can remove the barrel, I don't want to scar the finish, it has a bad finish but it is consistant with the rest of the pistol. That is the reason I haven't drilled out the old barrel and installed a new one. A new barrel would really make the pistol look bad. I am thinking a black oxide finish might be OK for the pistol as it tends to hide a rough finish. Thanks for the responce.
Old June 27, 2015, 08:51 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Pressed in would seem reasonable based on keeping the cost down, but the barrels on most of those cheap "suicide specials" were screwed in. You may be able to unscrew the barrel, but make a frame vise to the correct shape and be careful as the frame is cast iron and not very strong. You can drill it out without weakening the frame if you increase the drill diameter a size at a time until you cut out the minor diameter, then pick the barrel threads out of the frame.

Jim