The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 1, 2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Backwoodsboy

Approved!!!!

I just got the approval letter for my pistol permit here in NY. Come next week I can finally go pick up my firearm and join the ranks of all of you. Sorry just had to tell someone other than my wife and kids. Lol
Old June 1, 2013, 01:40 PM   #2
NESHOOTER

Good for you, now that you can be aware and safe
Old June 1, 2013, 01:57 PM   #3
armed_librarian

Congratulations!
Old June 1, 2013, 02:09 PM   #4
g.willikers

You had our approval long ago.
Old June 1, 2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

Nice!!! Congrats! Really happy for you man. A permit in NY is like pulling teeth. Really excited for you. Make sure you post pics for us when you get the gun/guns that you'll be carrying.
Old June 1, 2013, 04:04 PM   #6
SgtLumpy

Be sure and read the fine print on the permit. In nearly all jurisdictions it is mandatory that you post photos of your new guns here on TFL.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 1, 2013, 04:24 PM   #7
glh17

Congratulations! Be safe and enjoy.
Old June 1, 2013, 05:18 PM   #8
Frankv64

Approved!!!!

Congrats
Old June 1, 2013, 09:11 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Congratulations.
Old June 1, 2013, 09:48 PM   #10
GJSchulze

Quote:
A permit in NY is like pulling teeth.
I keep hearing this and it's just not true. New York State is not just NY City. In Western NY it's rare to be turned down. Each county is different in the way they handle permits, including fees and even the permit itself. Monroe County has paper permits while Livingston County has plastic cards. Go figure. The farther away you are from NYC, the easier it is and the fewer restrictions on carry. In Binghamton, they have restricted some people to just home and gun range. I haven't heard of any restrictions in Monroe County. However, two years ago mine took nine months to be approved; they are slow.

I don't mean to be hard on you; it's just that I'm tired of Upstate NY being equated to NYC so often. All the county gov'ts north of NYC sent letters to Cuomo protesting the "SAFE" ACT.
Old June 1, 2013, 09:57 PM   #11
Maineah

Is this your carry permit or just a permit to buy a gun?
Old June 2, 2013, 09:07 AM   #12
Backwoodsboy

Sgt Lumpy, you can bet I will be posting pictures of any and all handguns I purchase right here on this forum.

GJShultz, You are correct sir in that here in upstate NY it is not really that hard to get a pistol permit. However I do have to say I believe any process in which you or I or anybody has to spend any amount of money just to apply for a permit, and a process in which we are at the mercy of our county judges discretion to be unconstitutional.

Maineah, this is a permit to possess and carry.

Thank you all for your congratulations. Just one more reason I love this forum
Old June 2, 2013, 09:33 AM   #13
Tactical Jackalope

Approved!!!!

I mean NYC lol forgot the "C".
Old June 2, 2013, 09:34 AM   #14
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations!
Old June 2, 2013, 11:52 AM   #15
BfloBill

GJShulze + Constantine - You are actually both partly right. It totally depends on the county. In Cattaraugus county I have friends who waited less than 2 months and every permit they issue is for concealed carry. But in Erie county (which is about as far from NYC as you can get) I know people who have been waiting over a year and they are LEO's who are state and county qualified to carry on duty. I know this is going to make absolutely no sense to those of you who live in gun friendly states, but it is the truth. I am jealous of you.

BTW Congrats to the OP- Enjoy and be safe!!
Old June 2, 2013, 12:15 PM   #16
FoghornLeghorn

Just out of curiosity, if a gun collector from another state wanted to move to upstate New York, what hurdles would he expect?
Old June 2, 2013, 12:20 PM   #17
mikejonestkd

Foghorn,
Most upstate counties are similar for the application process.

For example: Monroe county process:
http://www.monroecounty.gov/clerk-pistolpermits.php

You can not bring a handgun into NYS until you get a permit, so you'll need to find a safe storage place for at least a year or two ( min 6 months until you can apply for a permit , plus up to a year to get it approved )
Old June 2, 2013, 01:10 PM   #18
Maineah

That's ridiculous. I can understand a permit to carry, but just to buy seems way over the top.

It is a 15 minute process here in Maine from the point you're in a gun store and decide what you want, to the time you walk out with your gun.
Old June 2, 2013, 01:40 PM   #19
Backwoodsboy

Bflo Bill, you r correct in your statement sir and I thank you for clarifying it more than I did. I received my permit in Wyoming county and it took just over 3 months from submission to final approval.

Maineah, I fully agree with your point that its rediculous, especially when I served in the USMC for 4 years and carried a pistol daily. However seeing as I currently live in a very anti 2nd amendment state I must follow there rules until the time comes I can leave this place.

Foghorn, I am sorry to say the Mike Jones tkd is correct. That is why I sold my xd40 before moving back to NY in the first place.

Last edited by Spats McGee; June 3, 2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: "Commy state"
Old June 2, 2013, 02:33 PM   #20
stu925

Congrats on the permit approval. Seems like they've slowed the process down significantly since I got mine in 96 or 97. I know Ulster County now requires you to go before the judge which they did used to do, the girls in the pistol permit bureau used to have a stamp of the judge's signature.

The other posters are right though NYC is a whole other animal from the rest of NYS. In fact your NYS Pistol Permit is no good in NYC, seems like if NYS said I could carry I should be able to carry anywhere in NYS, not so. Apparently NYC is so special that NYS law doesn't apply to them. Maybe they should be their own state.

Stu
Old June 2, 2013, 02:47 PM   #21
dgludwig

I have a friend who lives just outside of Syracuse and he advised that in order to get a pistol permit anywhere in New York state, the applicant has to be "approved" by the local judge and/or police chief. New York state (albeit separate and more "lenient" than NYC) is not a "shall issue" state and the notion that you might have to "suck up" to the local magistrate just to secure a right to self-defense is repugnant to me.
Old June 2, 2013, 05:12 PM   #22
s3779m

Bad thing about buying that first one is you will buy that second one, which leads to buying that third one..........
Old June 3, 2013, 10:15 AM   #23
EdInk

C'mon we all know that strict gun control reduces crime. If not for Bloomberg, imagine how easy it would be for criminals to acquire firearms. Chicago and L.A. would also be burdened by armed gang members. Quit whining about the inconvience of all the red tape and government strangulation of the second amendment.
Old June 3, 2013, 11:11 AM   #24
richardcorey

It's so true that one handgun leads to another, and as anyone here will agree, the Must-Have list just gets longer and longer (My own list is at least two pages long).
But what would life be if you said "OK I'm full up now I can stop"??? There's ALWAYS one more handgun or one more rifle that is just begging to follow you home, and ain't it fun to keep looking??? Welcome to the club and as always Enjoy The Ride...
LISTEN!!!
Old June 3, 2013, 12:12 PM   #25
FoghornLeghorn

Upstate NY has two things I like, viz. snow and mountains. It's a travesty of justice to let the politicians drive us out of some of the best places in the country. (California, Colorado, NY, etc)

Last edited by Spats McGee; June 3, 2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Response to "Commy state"