The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 28, 2012, 07:14 PM   #1
buffalo

SLOW 7.62x39 ideas wanted

I wanted to ask if anyone here has any good recipes for getting a slow 7.62x39 round?. I'm wanting to make some for use in my AK and a friends but have never reloaded this caliber and really have no idea. These would be used with a suppressor which is why i want/need them slow for those wondering why i would want to do this. I have been reloading for awhile now so i have all the tools and alot of brass,just need some ideas for this one. Thanks alot for any ideas/suggestions on this one.
Old August 29, 2012, 12:19 AM   #2
Rangefinder

170gr cast bullet over 4-5gr Red Dot is subsonic. It won't cycle the action in a semi, but it's definitely a quiet load.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old August 29, 2012, 12:52 AM   #3
Adamantium

It won't be subsonic but a 160 grain cast or 150 grain jacketed with 14.5 grains of 2400 will cycle most AK/SKS actions.
Old August 29, 2012, 07:06 AM   #4
rbernie

I like the 174gr RN Hornady. You can run it up to 1900fps if you want or down to subsonic if you want, and it'll fit into the OAL of the cartridge relatively easily.