The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 12, 2010, 09:14 AM   #1
Mike Langlais

Need help Identifying a Flintlock

Hello everyone,
first time here, and I was hoping I could get some help in identifying a Flintlock that my grandfather owns. All I know of it's history is that my Great-Grandfather owned it prior and kept it mounted on a wall. On top of the barrel is a stamp that I believe says "Made in Belgium" though part of it is obscured/doublestamped. I've included a few pics of the barrel stamps (right side and left). Total length is about 5 to 5.5' long, with a bore between .5o and .58 caliber. I didn't have any way of accurately measuring it at the time.
My great-grandfather had two flintlocks, one was a replica, the other supposedly genuine, and my grandpa doesn't know which one he has.
I can try to answer any questions you have.
thanks for your help.
http://phoenixravenwolf.deviantart.c...ntlock-left-si...
http://phoenixravenwolf.deviantart.c...ntlock-right-s...
http://phoenixravenwolf.deviantart.c...ntlock-full-16...

The images are clickable to enlarge to the full size. If you would prefer, I can email them to whomever would like.

Thanks again.
Mike
Old June 12, 2010, 09:29 AM   #2
Jim Watson

The pictures do not come up for me.
Old June 12, 2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Mike Langlais

Is there a better way to post them?
Old June 12, 2010, 01:01 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

photobucket.
Old June 12, 2010, 04:04 PM   #5
kodiakbeer

I think you're using the insert link button by mistake.

Right click on the image.

Choose "copy image location".

Push the "insert image" button on the reply here in TFL.

Right click and "paste".
Old June 12, 2010, 04:59 PM   #6
PetahW

[ was hoping I could get some help in identifying a Flintlock that my grandfather owns.]
[On top of the barrel is a stamp that I believe says "Made in Belgium" ]
[My great-grandfather had two flintlocks, one was a replica, the other supposedly genuine, and my grandpa doesn't know which one he has.
]

clue: - "Made in Belgium" = replica.

Old June 12, 2010, 05:09 PM   #7
Rifleman1776

Not necessarily a replica. America has imported firearms since the Revolution. Research the Charleville. We took the Brown Bess from the Brits. And, the imports didn't stop then. Imports have continued since.
We really need to see pics to help. Hint: click on the paperclip.
You can send pics to the G.M. Davis Museum in Oklahoma, the curator might help.
Old June 12, 2010, 06:27 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Made in Belgium is not something you'd find on an original piece. Certainly we had imported guns in the New World. The Dutch, Spaniards, French and English brought in guns to trade with the Indians (and locals). Germanic or Swiss also brought their rifles or rifle making technology here too.

It's also possible (but not probable) that a worn barrel was replaced with a fresh Belgian barrel. It's not probable because it was not unknown for a gunsmith to ream out an tired, iron barrel and then re-rifle it to make it shoot accurately again.
Old June 12, 2010, 10:13 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

IIRC, the original US country of origin (COO) law dates to the early 1900's so a "Made in Belgium" marking would not appear on a flintlock firearm in their period of general use. Since antiques are exempt (no, an original DaVinci painting does not have to have MADE IN ITALY stamped into it), any flintlock with the COO stamp would be a modern reproduction.

Jim
Old June 13, 2010, 07:49 AM   #10
Mike Langlais

Ah, there we go... Didn't see the attach file icon before :P

When I took a look at the firearm last weekend, I noticed that it was a smoothbore, and not rifled. And I can tell you that I am fairly certain my bore measurement was wrong (only had a piece of graphpaper at the time)
I'll give my G-pa a call today, see if i can get more accurate measurements on the length and bore.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a replica, and while a little disappointing, it would make it more likely that the weapon is taken to a range and used after we get it cleaned.

I do appreciate the comments and the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0_LEFT SIDE - MARKINGS.jpg (229.7 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg O_RIGHT SIDE - MARKINGS.jpg (223.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg O_RIGHT SIDE.jpg (77.9 KB, 70 views)
Old June 13, 2010, 08:13 AM   #11
mapsjanhere

The gun has the standard Belgian proof marks as introduced in 1891 (cursive EL and ELG over star in oval). Since that is way past the time flintlocks were produced, it's clearly a reproduction.
Old June 13, 2010, 09:33 AM   #12
Jim Watson

The back action lock with the frizzen on a separate plate looks like the inexpensive wall hanger - plinker muzzleloaders that Stoegers used to sell from the 1930s up into the 1960s.
Old June 16, 2010, 05:41 PM   #13
Mike Langlais

Thanks for the inputs!
@mapsjanhere do those stamps trace to a single company by chance?
Old June 17, 2010, 07:50 AM   #14
mapsjanhere

No, proof marks are usually specific to the proof house, in your case, the one in Liege, which is the only one in Belgium and handled all proofing for the country. Since the firearms manufacture was centered around that city that wasn't much of an issue.
If you're interested into the subject, look for Wirnsberger's "standard directory of proof marks", I pulled mine of ebay for $10.