The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 17, 2001, 05:33 PM   #1
gringo5

Ammo for a Le Mat 9 shot revolver with a 28 gaugeshot gun barrel

I pickup a old Le Mat 9 shot revolver with a short 28 gauge shotgun barrel in the center and was wondering were i could get some ammo for it both the pistol cartriges and the short shotgun shells. It is in real good shape but i'm more interested just to have the shells for conversation not to fire the gun.. Thanks for any info....
Old October 17, 2001, 09:02 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

28 gauge shotshells are still made, though many stores don't stock them. They are 2 3/4 inch and I would not fire them in a pistol (both the pistol and the shooter might suffer, the latter from a broken wrist if nothing else). The Civil War period LeMat's (and the repros I have seen) were percussion, but they were later made for fixed ammo, both pin-fire and center fire.

Do you have any other information, like the markings on it?

Jim
Old October 21, 2001, 11:35 AM   #3
gringo5

It's a civil war model that the south used. The 28 gauge shell would have to be shorter than 2 3/4 inch to load into the barrel.
Old October 22, 2001, 12:39 PM   #4
Cap n ball

If as you say, it was one that was actually used in the Civil War, I probably wouldn't fire it at all but if I just had to hear the old gun bark once,I would take it to the best gunsmith I could find and have it checked for cracks in the cylinder and frame and it bench fire it before I would fire it holding it in my hand. Find a re-loader that will make you some 'soft loads'. I will warn you that the mechanism in a Le Mat is complicated and tricky to disassemble and may require some special tools. Do not for any reason fire modern ammo in it.

Quite a few of the old revolvers of all makes were converted to pinfire. I've seen several of these and to my mind it spoils the looks of the revolver but makes it easier to load.

Last edited by Cap n ball; October 23, 2001 at 11:21 AM.
Old October 22, 2001, 10:07 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

If it is the Civil War model, it doesn't used fixed ammo, either in te shotgun barrel or the pistol chambers. I think we need more info on this one.

Jim
Old October 23, 2001, 10:22 PM   #6
biganimal

mine is a replica and the center bbl is 65 caliber. we make our own cast bullets .
Old October 23, 2001, 10:36 PM   #7
C.R.Sam

Anybody make a pocket holster for one of those ?

Anybody big enough to wear one in a pocket holster ?

If so, they don't need a gun.

Sam..
Old October 24, 2001, 11:11 AM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Naw, I wear a vest and carry my Colt Dragoon in the watch pocket, so it's completely concealed.

Jim