The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 29, 2017, 09:06 PM   #1
cjsoccer3

How can I self learn how to hunt?

Long story short I grew up in the city, and I have no knowledge of how to hunt anything.

I have taken a hunter safety course, and I don't mind if a how-to book was 300 pages. I just really want to learn.

I don't know what to bring to a hunt (besides a gun and safety gear), a cooler? with ice? I'm sorry but I just don't know.

Are there any great resources to self learn from? Books, maybe, the longer the better. Animal activity hours, scent masking, stands, stalking, calls, use of cameras, pressure, etc. I know the words but nothing about them.

Kind of sucks as I really want to do it.

Last edited by cjsoccer3; April 29, 2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old April 29, 2017, 10:44 PM   #2
shootniron

Congrats on having the desire to learn to hunt.

I am not sure what type animals you have an interest in hunting.

I would suggest that you contact your local game and fish department or officers and tell them what you would like to do and ask if they could give you some suggestions or put you in contact with someone that might give you some help.

Good luck and I hope that you develop a great sense of love and appreciation of game animals and the out of doors.
Old April 29, 2017, 10:51 PM   #3
dakota.potts

What part of the country are you located in?

I taught myself with a lot of what's on the forum here and I have not been often enough to say that I am a good or even successful hunter.

What I will say is that, using recommendations on this forum, I practiced a lot and then went to some private land where there were some nuisance hogs. For a small fee, I went to the land where the owner allowed me to take a hog. It was less hunting than harvesting, but it was a great first exposure. A clean shot through the nose and out the back of the head dropped it on the spot and Thanksgiving dinner was greatly improved with some young hog ribs in a slow cooker. All said and done, I was in and out in only a few hours and the quartering of the animal was done for me, but before that I had absolutely zero experience to harvesting an animal (fish aside) or ethically dispatching it, quartering it, etc.

After practicing marksmanship fundamentals, you may find somebody with some land and a nuisance animal problem to see if you could get yourself into a similar situation for a first time out.

As far as stalk hunting, best for me to leave the sage advice to somebody else.
Old April 29, 2017, 11:05 PM   #4
JoeSixpack

See if you can hook up with someone here on the board that lives close by.. or join a gun board OR perhaps a hunters forum in your state.

You can probably find someone willing to mentor you in hunting.
Not discounting books but I think hands on exp would be valuable.

Im not a hunter either.. wouldn't mind going hog hunting though.
Old April 30, 2017, 12:24 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

Knowing your location and intended (or likely) quarry would be helpful.

(Don't be surprised if this gets moved to the hunting forum.)
Old April 30, 2017, 12:27 AM   #6
rickyrick

Depends on the animals, location, local and state laws, time of year and so on.

There's different hunting styles, some are less challenging than others.

Moving this to the hunting forum will help.

No one taught me, I taught myself. It was full of costly mistakes.

I'm no expert, but don't fall for gimmick marketing. I did a few times.
Old April 30, 2017, 12:42 AM   #7
DaleA

I'd want to hook up with someone who already hunts and go with them.

There is a book, "Call of the Mild" that describes someone doing just what you are trying to do---that is, take up hunting as an adult with no prior hunting or shooting experience. It's more of a fun read than a how-to book but you might enjoy it anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Call-Mild-Lea...ll+of+the+mild

Good luck.
Old April 30, 2017, 08:02 AM   #8
ligonierbill

To start with, spend as much time as you can in the woods and fields near you. Leave the bow and gun (unless it's your carry piece) home, and learn to navigate, move quietly, observe. Hook up with any outdoor club, hikers, bird watchers, mushroom hunters, anything to learn about living in the outdoors, even for a day. Find a few places you'd like to hunt, and get out there for some scouting, and more learning. Good hunters are excellent overall outdoorsmen.

Pick a quarry to start with. I'd suggest small game like squirrels, rabbits, pheasants. They are generally more plentiful than larger animals, and field dressing and butchering are easier. For the most part, you will use the same skills hunting squirrels that you will use hunting elk.

Match you weapon to your game and become familiar and proficient with it.

And here's the real secret: You should never stop learning. You can always find something new in the field.
Old April 30, 2017, 08:21 AM   #9
NoSecondBest

We really need to know where you live if that's where you're going to be hunting. Also, what are you going to be hunting? Big game, small game? Need a bit more info about that and what degree of familiarity you have with the hunting weapon you'll be intending to use.
Old April 30, 2017, 08:36 AM   #10
cjsoccer3

DC / Northern Va

I live in Fairfax, Virginia - northern va (suburb to DC).
Old April 30, 2017, 09:22 AM   #11
deserted

Read everything you an get your hands on. Watch a cat hunt, and then move like they do. Practice sneaking up on stuff. Be very still.
Old April 30, 2017, 09:34 AM   #12
ammo.crafter

New hunt

Research hunting preserves in your area for the game you wish to hunt.

For instance, pheasant hunting will require a shotgun 12ga or 20ga, and a gun dog or two. A preserve will have guides and trained dogs for rent and guidance.

Look into hog hunting preserves where guide service and butchering are available.

Good luck; learn, enjoy, research, etc.
Old April 30, 2017, 10:25 AM   #13
Nathan

Start with going to the local fish & game state agency office. They are usually pretty helpful.

Get a copy of the hunting laws pamphlet. Read it front to back.

Ask about legal hunting equipment and determine if your is legal or what to do to make it so.

Ask about licensing and bag limits.

Ask about orange requirements and license display.

Ask if they can recommend hunting lands and how to get access.

That should get things going for you.

Equipment:
Legal gun
Knife and know how to gut your animal. Butt hole tool and saw help....just have a plan for those. Rubber gloves are nice.
Something to drag it with.
Warm enough clothes. Lots of deer have been killed in old street clothes or work clothes. Camouflage is optional. Avoid brown.
Bag to carry the basics.
Some basic orienteering skills with tools, maybe a map, etc
Some basic survival plan. Broken ankles can get you killed a few 100 yds from the road, but not if you have a flare and a pre-negotiated plan for where you plan to go and when to start the search. Communicate that to a friend, wife, etc.
A method to haul your kill home, butcher, check station.

Good luck. Look out for a local hunting club. Avoid big purchases until you fail due to not having the item. Often, failure is relatively cheap compared to having everything possible.
Old April 30, 2017, 10:40 AM   #14
Gunplummer

Maybe you could join a local Gun club. Most of the local clubs here are hunting oriented.
Old April 30, 2017, 10:40 AM   #15
cjwils

Are there any hunters where you work? Make friends with them. Tell them you are interested. They might be happy to invite you along.
Old April 30, 2017, 11:19 AM   #16
osbornk

Quote:
I live in Fairfax, Virginia - northern va (suburb to DC).
I grew up hunting in the mountains of Southwestern, Virginia. I sold my shotgun and rifle when I moved to Fairfax because I didn't feel I would be safe hunting anywhere near the big city. I didn't get back into guns or hunting until I neared retirement and moved back to the mountains. I think the approach I would take if I were in or near a city would be to join a local hunting club. You could learn how to hunt from other members and they would have the availability to having places to hunt.
Old April 30, 2017, 11:26 AM   #17
Mr. Hill

The best way is to hunt consistently in the same area with more experienced hunters. I think that consistently hunting in the same area where I was able to learn the trails and the area really helped me learn how to hunt.

I went elk hunting in the mountains for the first time last season. I'm glad I was with more experienced elk hunters, who really helped out, especially when I had to scout the area, figure out where to set up, and gut/quarter/debone the elk I got. There is a learning curve, and I learned a lot from the guys who'd hunted elk for years. Their ATVs helped, too! I'd suggest a deer camp with some more experienced hunters who can help you out and significantly increase your chances for success.

Patience and luck help, too. And keep your scalp away from nasty broken branches on the trees you hang your deer from.
Old April 30, 2017, 12:53 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

I have a good friend that moved to Springfield last September, and he dove into hunting in the area, head-first. He's an avid, dedicated hunter with a lot of experience in Texas, 'Bama, and Utah; but had no idea what he would get into in VA.
Some of the easiest and most accessible hunting, he claims, is bow-hunting in some of the parks and reserves in the area. Though the season is likely over by now, it may be something worth looking into, and preparing for, for next year (later this year?).

Though he had experience hunting, he had little idea of where and how to get involved in that area.
So, he just asked around. People he worked with. People in gun shops and sporting goods stores. People on local firearms/hunting forums.

I also agree that just being outdoors, getting a feel for the area(s), and learning how to observe and move (or just sit) quietly are helpful.

My father never really taught my brothers and I to hunt. We pretty much had to figure it out for ourselves.
The best lessons come from finding a place to hunt, knowing the laws, making sure you're legal, and just giving it a shot.
Old April 30, 2017, 01:58 PM   #19
rickyrick

This I have been wanting to try, I've wanted to get into photo-hunting, during off season or in areas that actual hunting is prohibited.

I figure if a person could take a good picture of a particular animal, then they could probably hunt in a similar fashion.

It would be good practice stalking and finding the animals.

One thing for sure, being in the presence of the animal is most of the battle with hunting.

I've let some animals walk, because I was satisfied that I would have been able to kill them.

Most of all, you've got to have a heart. Always respect the life, whether or not if you take the shot.
Old April 30, 2017, 02:11 PM   #20
g.willikers

^^^^
I was just about to suggest the same thing.
Hunting with a camera is as good a place to start as any.
Just be careful not to do it during hunting season.
Old May 1, 2017, 07:49 AM   #21
Doyle

I've said this before on this forum and I'll say it again. ALL the basics (other than scent control) you need to know about deer hunting can be learned from squirrel hunting at a fraction of the price. For squirrels, all you need is a well-sighted .22 or a shotgun and some hardwoods on public land. It doesn't get any cheaper than that. You'll make misstates -but making a mistake stalking a barking squirrel is not the same emotional drain as making a mistake on a good deer. Do that regularly for a full season and you'll be ready to start deer the next.
Old May 1, 2017, 09:35 AM   #22
Arnold S

I'd also recommend to start with small game. Equipment is cheaper and from there you can work up your way.

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
-Clint Eastwood
Old May 1, 2017, 05:39 PM   #23
KEYBEAR

Hunting is not about the game you kill and more about the things you see . Hunting is being as close to god and the world that he has given you to enjoy.
Hunting is a church in the woods being close to life is hunting . No big secret to it just you and the time spent being in a place of peace and silence . Taking game is just a small part of hunting spending the time to find out just that you really are made off .
Old May 1, 2017, 06:31 PM   #24
Berserker

What do you want to hunt, and do you plan on hunting in your area? Only need a cooler if warm out, or if you won't get the game out right away.

The animal you choose makes a huge difference. Bird hunting is alot different than deer. Lots of walking, good exercise, need to be in so-so shape. Get to see more, so not as boring for some.

Deer hunting around here is a big cultural event. Schools close. You go camp hopping, or talk it up in bars at night. It can be tougher just starting out, depending on area. Blind hunting tends to be more productive, especially starting out. That can be boring for some.

Are you going to hunt farmland or woods? Big difference.

You can spend as much as you want. Some say hunters don't care about cost, because they spend so much. BS. I know lots of hunters that just go pick a good spot in the woods and sit. Only thing they buy every year is tag.

Many like to spend money on gear, it can be fun to do.

Pop up tent blind are easy to set up, and little safety concerns, unless populated area. Then being in a tree has advantages. But those are harder to set up, and need to be careful.

Down there you may be able to go hog hunting easy.

I just reading lots of people stories and questions on sites and books. Just keep in mind, many are just regular folks. Who may not know alot, and may not be able to admit it.

I'd maybe start small game hunting in September, learn the area walking and driving. Then go deer hunting in November. Just realize, unless you live in deer dense area, you may have some slow years. If you know any farmers they like people to shoot every deer they can.
Old May 1, 2017, 06:41 PM   #25
Berserker

While it can be disheartening not getting anything, little compares to deer for me. Big losses, but big gains when you get one.

Unless you lack money, I see no reason you can't do both. Around here, small game is before deer, and then starts up again after.

Go get a shotgun, and wander the woods in September. Looking for a good spot. Check to see if you can hunt with a rifle in your area, it may be shotgun, or rifles that shoot pistol rounds.

Don't put to much faith in them, but watching some hunting shows or reading some magazines can get the imagination going. Just realize them for what they are. But just starting out, can be fun.

Some people say they don't cover enough advance topics, but I like Richard P Smiths books.

Type hunting in Amzaon, read some reviews, and get a book or two.