The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 2013, 04:09 PM   #1
TXJohn

9mm Handloads with Berrys 115 rn

Not new to reloading been loading for to many year years to mention. But have started loading 9mm with 115 gr Berry's RN bullets.

I have Unique, and HP-38 and was looking for a nice safe load to be shot out of a S&W MP9. I also have Blue Dot but have read things about it that concerns me on pressure. I am not a competitive shooter just want a good safe load that functions well and not get me into trouble, and need a simple OAL not to long or short since I know short OAL can get me into trouble in a hurry any one have a safe load that has work well in several 9's you may have had,any help would be appreciated.

I have several Manuals they are all over the place any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for any info.

John
Old December 14, 2013, 04:25 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

standard

Start 5.0g Unique; figure 5.5g to be a 'standard' load under 115g of any construction.
Old December 14, 2013, 04:31 PM   #3
TXJohn

Thanks WESHOOT2 have loaded 1000's of rife loads but have not loaded 9mm yet did not want to do a kaboom lol, Thanks again!

John
Old December 14, 2013, 04:38 PM   #4
phillyr121

Using HP-38

I've been using HP-38 for some time now. It's the same as Winchester 321. My loads have been successful with 4.3 - 4.7. You'll have no problem with that.
Old December 14, 2013, 04:38 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

Unique offers some forgiveness room.......
Old December 14, 2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

One of my general purpose rounds with the 115g RN bullet is 4.0g of W231 (W231 & HP38 are the same powder). It's a great shooting/practice round that is accurate and will cycle your gun with no trouble.
This load yields:

966 FPS through a Khar CW9 (3.7" bbl)
1046 FPS through a Baretta 92SF (5" bbl)

So as you can see, it's not a rocket-hot round. Just an excellent GP shooter.

Unique is a good choice too. And as WESHOOT2 said, it gives a little more forgiveness because it's slower; if you feel an extra level of safety margin is important.

As far as Blue Dot goes: pressure isn't the problem. It's just too slow for the bullet weight and application. Don't bother. With 9mm, I'd only use Blue Dot with 147 grainers.

As far as OAL goes: You need to perform a "plunk test" with your MP9 and that Berry's bullet, to find the correct OAL. It's not something you should adjust. Find it. Set it. And forget it.
Old December 14, 2013, 06:34 PM   #7
TXJohn

Thanks guys, not looking for oal close to max just a safe oal that will feed with no problems.

John
Old December 14, 2013, 08:45 PM   #8
rdmallory

HP38 and 115 is my steal plate load. Use the load right off the jug.

Doug
Old December 14, 2013, 08:51 PM   #9
Swampman1

Ditto...4.3-4.4 gr of HP-38 fires great.
Old December 14, 2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Ditto...4.3-4.4 gr of HP-38 fires great.
Yes, my 4.0g is a modest round. There's definitely room to increase the grainage
Old December 14, 2013, 09:14 PM   #11

TXJohn, do a search for 9mm OAL, OCL, COAL, OACL etc. It is best to establish OACL with the bullet you're using from the pistol it's to be fired from. If you don't find something that helps, shoot me a PM. It's easy to do with cast and plated and really easy when you use jacketed bullets.

Of what you have, Unique is probably the best all-around choice but accurate loads can be easily done with HP38/W231. I've loaded thousands of 9mm rounds with Blue Dot. It is a Max. effort powder that works best when loaded warm with compressed charges. It's capable of performance beyond what your plated bullets are rated for.

I prefer spherical powders that are just slower than Unique. If you can find True Blue, it will do well in any cartridge you load it in and particularly 9mm and .40 S&W. It's very dense and fine grained so it meters at least 100% better than Unique while being more uniform ballistically. The other powder I'd recommend is the one I use in my defense handloads and that's Silhouette. It's treated to have low flash and is very well suited to 9mm, especially if you want to replicate factory loads. Plenty of good data for cast, plated and jacketed bullets at www.ramshot.com. Download the data while you're there and if you request it, they'll send you a printed version that offers good tips on reloading as well.
Old December 15, 2013, 07:41 AM   #12
TXJohn

Thanks again for all of the info guys, I went with 5.2 of unique and a oal of 1.150 with the Berrys. I will post results as soon as I can get to the range to try.

John
Old December 15, 2013, 03:51 PM   #13
Reloader2

John

I am interested in your results. One been loading some 9mm with 4.0 grains of Titegroup and seating the Berry's bullets to 1.100".
I was loading a little hotter but found the Lee Auto disc measure would drop 4.0 grains consistently.
I'm new to semi-auto pistols and my first purchase was a Beretta M-9.
Old December 18, 2013, 08:55 AM   #14
TimSr

Don't be afraid to try Blue Dot. No pressure issues, in fact, its hard to get into trouble with or overload Blue Dot in 9mm because the case will be full or near full. My favorite 115gr load (both bast and JHP) is over 8.4 gr Blue Dot. Start at 8.0.
Old December 18, 2013, 09:24 AM   #15
SWThomas

I get confused about reading theads like this... If you've been reloading for many years, why not just go with the published min/max in reloading manuals and work up your own load?
Old December 18, 2013, 12:13 PM   #16
nlaudato

Have ran hundreds of 115gr RN Berrys with 5.2gr unique at 1.135. Good target round.
Old December 18, 2013, 01:22 PM   #17
TimSr

Quote:
I get confused about reading theads like this... If you've been reloading for many years, why not just go with the published min/max in reloading manuals and work up your own load?

Best idea yet. If there is no load data for it, its probably not an exceptional load.
Old December 18, 2013, 02:54 PM   #18
WESHOOT2

actual

Blue Dot can respond erractically in extreme temperatures, hot and cold.

I only recommend Blue Dot in medium-bullet-weight high-performance 10mm.
Old December 19, 2013, 12:57 PM   #19
9miller

I've found 4.5gr of titegroup with the 115gr Berrys to be magic, just got back from the range maybe an hour ago with the load, shot great as always, I as well load to an OAL of 1.150 with these. Shooting out of a S&W sigma.
Old December 19, 2013, 03:53 PM   #20
Strafer Gott

Bluedot doesn't really turn on at low pressures. Like Nick said, if you can give it something to push like a heavy bullet, it really comes alive. With a light bullet like the 115 gr 9mm, you have to use more than 8 grains to get it to light efficiently. Even then you get a pretty awesome flash, not a very efficient powder in small cases.

Last edited by Strafer Gott; December 19, 2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old December 19, 2013, 04:20 PM   #21
TXJohn

SWTHOMAS I have been reloading for years but have a read a lot about Blue Dot not being the best for 9mm just asking for advice for some that have loaded with BD. I have just started reloading for the 9mm and was wondering what some people have been loading.

I thought this was a place where I could ask some questions with out your smart a$$ answer!! If you have nothing good to say keep your mouth shut. I have loaded more ammo than you have ever shot. So in closing I don't need you smart a$$ comments. If you read my first post my manuals are all over the place with loads with BD. that is if you can read?

Thanks to those who have giving me good advice.
Old December 19, 2013, 10:13 PM   #22
larryh1108

Quote:
I thought this was a place where I could ask some questions with out your smart a$$ answer!! If you have nothing good to say keep your mouth shut. I have loaded more ammo than you have ever shot. So in closing I don't need you smart a$$ comments. If you read my first post my manuals are all over the place with loads with BD. that is if you can read?
Well said!

I never could get why some people open their mouths without offering a bit of good advice. If you have nothing to add to the conversation then just move on. Some guys just need to add their two cents I guess. However, if you add up all their posts I'd bet you don't get a pennys worth of good advice.
Old December 20, 2013, 01:59 PM   #23

TXJohn, Blue Dot was once a great choice for 9 x19mm and I loaded thousands of rounds using it. The thing is, that was when the 9mm's pressure rating was 35,700 CUP which is very close to today's +P at 38,500 PSI. At 35,000 PSI/33,000 CUP, today's SAAMI standard pressure, Blue Dot is just beginning to get warmed up. It performs best with compressed charges, some of them fairly heavily compressed and there just isn't any data around for that today with the exception of getting an older manual like the SPEER #11 which was their last before SAAMI reduced the 9mm's pressure rating. Be advised though, if you find such a manual and use the data, You will be shooting today's equivelant of +P. When loaded warm, Blue Dot can be extremely accurate but velocities are likely to be as high as anything you're gonna find labeled +P.
Old December 20, 2013, 02:23 PM   #24
TXJohn

Thanks 57K, I think I will hold out on the Blue Dot for now I have plenty of Unique, HP-38 AND 700X. I have been looking for some Power Pistol and maybe some Titegroup but haven't had much luck finding them local. Thanks again for all the great info provided in this thread. If I can ever find some
147s I may give the BD a try.

John

Last edited by TXJohn; December 20, 2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old December 20, 2013, 02:38 PM   #25

You're welcome. Ramshot True Blue and Silhouette are a couple of others you might want to keep in mind. Both are very well suited to the 9 x 19mm and Silhouette is what I use in my defense handloads up to +P. It has a flash inhibitor and both powders are very pressure stable. My warmest Silhouette +P loads are very uniform ballistically and statistically when fired over my chronograph and accuracy is on par with the excellent stats, typically standard deviations around 6 for 10 shot strings.