The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 2012, 12:09 AM   #1
kilotanker22

magnum primers in standard catridges??

If one were to use standard cartridges with slower powders like mag pro or retumbo say for the 25-06 or 270 what impact could using the magnum primers have on performance of said load?

BTW I know to start low and work up with caution.
Old December 12, 2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Catfish

You will probly find no difference, but as you said, start low and work up. A few years back I got a wild hair and and loaded several different rounds with everything the same except the primer. I found that in most cases there was no difference in velocity. I did find that with 1 load that there was signs of pressure with 1 primer, that that was with a standard primer and not a mag. primer, so there are some small differences.
Old December 13, 2012, 08:22 PM   #3
reynolds357

I rarely use standard primers in any case with more capacity than .284 Winchester. My accuracy in the larger cases is almost always better with magnum primers. My 1000 yd .284Win load uses Federal magnum primers.
Old December 14, 2012, 02:09 PM   #4
wncchester

"what impact could using the magnum primers have on performance of said load? "

Many people seem to suspect a 'hotter' primer just has to be better than a standard primer; IF that were true the makers would only make mag primers. Most shooters fine best accuracy with a primer that's sufficent to ignite the charge, that helps obtain the most consistant burn.

The ONLY way for YOU to know is to try both types in YOUR rig using YOUR loads.
Old December 15, 2012, 01:36 AM   #5
old roper

I don't load for a 25-06 but looking at Hodgdon data with H-1000 and Retumbo with the heavier bullets your using on average 3/4more grains of powder compare to others at same velocity. If I was going to use mag primer I might look at other powders. It kind of the same with the 270 and Retumbo.

Since I load at the range one option I can change primers on load development and most time I see no difference in accuracy on rifles I decide to switch primers. My 280AI and 35 WhelenAI I'd seen better accuracy and when I chronograph got small increase in velocity and primers I used was Fed 210M and Fed 215M.

Well good luck
NRA Life Member
Old December 15, 2012, 05:12 AM   #6
Mike / Tx

I have loaded and shot a 25-06 for quite a few yeas. I cannot even begin to count the different loads I tried over they years, suffice to say I have put at least 50 rounds of about every brand and weight of bullet weighing 100 - 120grs through it, not to mention the ones I settled on and shot for a few years.

In all of those loads I never really found a need for a powder slower than H4831, nor a need for any primer hotter than the Win-WLR. I have tried them all and the WIN will consistantly light up even the slowest powders you would pour off into the 25 cases.

This said, RL-22 has been about the most acurate powder across the board with all of the loads I have tried with very few exceptions, and those were with the 100gr bullets.

Not to say that some of the newer powders might not have a slight edge, but I am more into the KISS principal, and the loads I use with RL-22 are getting me top end velocity and will shoot bug holes at 200yds, and have for years. Not much reason to look elsewhere.
Old December 15, 2012, 06:33 PM   #7
tekarra

I have heard people espousing the use of magnum primers for use in the cold for consistent ignition. I have always used standard primers and have not had a failure to ignite.
Old December 15, 2012, 09:36 PM   #8
GeauxTide

With the expansion ratio (case capacity versus bore diameter) of those two cartridges, H4831 is going to be the slowest to get decent velocity. You'll be dissapointed in the results of the two you mentioned. For example, my 280 likes RL-19, IMR4350, and IMR4831. I load for a friend's 270 and it likes IMR4831. Magnum primers are not necessary until you get to a case capacity of 70gr.