The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 2012, 01:09 AM   #1
M1ke10191

Best trimmer for mainly .223 plus other calibers?

Right now I use Lee case length gauges with a drill for all my trimming, but it's sort of slow, and my .223 CLG has some damage from pliers making the cases hard to insert and remove. I'm looking to upgrade.

My calibers are .223, 9mm. 7.62x54R, and 8mm Mauser. That being said, .223 is the only caliber I load in bulk with, so that's my priority. My thoughts so far are:

1) buying a replacement gauge for $5.
2) getting the WFT in .223 for $80. The only con is I hear it doesn't always deburr the cases, therefore not being too much faster than the lee gauges.
3) Getting an actual bench mounted trimmer. For the same cost I can be versatile and trim any caliber. I have no clue which brand, though. My greater concern here is lack of speed.

A giraud is out of my price range before anyone mentions it.

I load on a Hornady SS press. Also, I don't need crazy volume. Just something where I can trim 100 cases at a time without sitting there for over an hour.

Sorry for the wall of text, but if anyone has any input, that would be great.

I'd like to set my budget at $100 but that's also flexible to an extent.

-Mike
Old December 12, 2012, 07:15 AM   #2
rebs

For 223 you could buy the possum hollow trimmer for around 35.00 including the drill adapter. MidwayUSA has them. I use the Lee myself, no problem I sit and watch TV while trimming my cases.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:15 AM   #3
the led farmer

the wft is money well spent. it will deburr but does not chamfer. one quick twist with a lee chamfer tool works for me.

trimming brass sucks, the wft makes it suck alot less
Old December 12, 2012, 11:15 AM   #4
603Country

I have the RCBS Trim Pro with the 3 way trimmer (trims, chamfers, deburrs all at once). I like it a lot, and it's pretty darn fast.
Old December 13, 2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Smokey Joe

Case trimming...

Mike 10191--FWIW, The Lee Zip-Trim is good. I have it set up with the universal shell holder, and use the Lee gauges and cutter, with it. Could chamfer and debur by switching tools for each case, and giving the case another spin with the Zip-Trim.

With the Zip-Trim, I don't think 100 cases takes me anywhere near an hour, but to be honest, have never timed myself. Don't really care exactly how long it takes--My reloading time is "me time," and that's how I like it.

--Smokey Joe
Old December 14, 2012, 01:02 AM   #6
M1ke10191

I just bought a WFT from Amazon.
Old December 14, 2012, 07:20 PM   #7
PoiDog

I recently bought a WFT as well. It works as described, and it works well. No more hand aches for me.

I understand you can chuck it up in a drill press, but I haven't tried that yet. I will in the near future, though. That would make it even easier on your hands. It works pretty fast, I think the inventor says he easily gets 10-12 cases per minute without trying hard.

I bought the .223 version since of the calibers I shoot, that one needs trimming the most. I also have an RCBS Trim Pro which I use on other calibers. It's rough on my hands, though. I have an issue or two with my hands, and constant motion and pressure cause me pain. The WFT does not.