The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 27, 2012, 12:26 PM   #1
PT-92

Tactical Revolver in Germany

I discoverd this on a blog I stumbled upon--I always find it unusual/interesting when I see LE still using a revolver in some capacity as obviously the vast majority of LE/Mil abondened them long ago:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...er-in-germany/

-Cheers
Old June 27, 2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Glenn Dee

I dont see whats the big deal? I did find all the comments interesting though.

Why would a SWAT cop need a revolver?

Why WOULD a swat cop need a revolver?
Old June 27, 2012, 05:51 PM   #3
PT-92

Glenn,

Not suggesting that there's an "big-deal" to be had in the story (wasn't the intent). I just found it to be interesting that professional SWAT teams (or the European equivalent thereof) still deploy what many (rightly or wrongly) purport to be 'dead' tactically speaking, namely, the revolver. It's not everyday that one sees a SWAT guy with a revolver anymore.

-Cheers
Old June 27, 2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Dondor

And S&W makes that black 8 shot .357 with a tactical rail... why?
Old June 27, 2012, 06:31 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am almost certain that it is an S&W, but it could be one of several models in .38 or .357.

Few Americans seem to be aware of the huge civilian and police business U.S. arms and ammunition companies do in overseas sales. That includes sporting and personal defense firearms as well as police guns and military weapons. (I am not counting weapons supplied to friendly foreign governments by the U.S. government, only in direct sales.)

Jim
Old June 27, 2012, 08:44 PM   #6
moxie

Could be the fulfillment of a dream. Not a cop, but I carried a S&W 15 in Germany for a long time. The German (West) pilots and others carried pathetic little automatics of various brands, mostly in 9mm Kurz (.380). They were all envious to the nth degree of the S&Ws. Maybe now that they can have what they want, they choose a good revolver, albeit a better caliber too. Who knows?

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old June 27, 2012, 11:08 PM   #7
mete

You want tactical ? This isn't quite a 'revolver' but it certainly is 'tactical'

http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?optio...apons&Itemid=5
Old June 28, 2012, 12:09 AM   #8
sigcurious

In my best crocodile dundee voice "that's not a tactical revolver...this is a tactical revolver!"

I'm guessing the use of a revolver comes down to having latitude in firearms choice and that person likes revolvers.

In jest, I would say that guy is scared of losing his footing on ejected cases.
Old June 28, 2012, 12:36 AM   #9
DaleA

Sigcurious - that is one 'interesting' revolver!

For a one of a kind gun it looked to be pretty well made. I wonder what year it was made. A lot of those multi-barrel creations were from the mid to late 1800's but this one looks a little newer.

Lots of times I think we aren't as 'creative' as folks used to be when it comes to firearms design.
Old June 28, 2012, 12:58 AM   #10
sigcurious

^The first article I saw about it was on the same blog as the OPs link, I just couldn't find it again. It had more information about it than the gizmodo article.
Old June 28, 2012, 01:05 AM   #11
youngunz4life

OP

Quote:
Not suggesting that there's an "big-deal" to be had in the story (wasn't the intent). I just found it to be interesting that professional SWAT teams (or the European equivalent thereof) still deploy what many (rightly or wrongly) purport to be 'dead' tactically speaking, namely, the revolver. It's not everyday that one sees a SWAT guy with a revolver anymore.
I read your posts and thread and the blog from your original post. this is a good thread. Maybe someone else has better input but the bottom line is as far as I am concerned is that there could be a myriad of reasons the revolver was being used....

For whatever the reason, that could've been the 'extra' sidearm that the officer carried on his person(not issued). maybe he was a veteran. maybe he is the only guy that does that. Literally there are many other examples so the examples given could be off the mark), but it isn't always dress right dress and exactly the same. he/she is expected to handle business regardless. maybe at the last minute he noticed an issue with his primary weapon. I mean it is Germany, but I am not used to seeing a handgun in that scenario let alone a revolver.

I know many of these guys do carry a revolvers as a backup(or semi). I see no problem with the picture whatsoever and I willing to hazard a guess or throw a few bucks on the issue betting he/she had a good, valid reason for the use of the piece in the situation pictured. I would like to know the reason whatever it is.

If the revolver is emptied the officer would probably go to his next weapon without reloading. there having an issue if a gunfight escalates. they don't want that to happen obviously. going back to the scenarios and maybe others have some not mentioned and closer to the truth, but it is possible this officer was 'pulled for duty'. Now I am not saying that is why he would use a revolver mistakenly or a revolver correctly...what I am saying is these "teams" always aren't the same individuals. If a situation arises designated officers are pulled together usually from a list of those into the stuff more than another colleague as an example(if they had to someone not on the list would be used however). "Bernie"(choose any other name) isn't going to come back from keywest while on vacation to be with his buddy...it depends on the numbers and who is available...other emergencies could've been going on at the same time somewhere else as well. Personally I don't fault the officer...I am interested to know more though...
Old June 28, 2012, 01:10 AM   #12
youngunz4life

mete

"And Watson, bring your revolver."

I'm nominating that line for the best I have seen on TFL to date....lol
Old June 28, 2012, 01:14 AM   #13
egor20

Quote:
youngunz4life

"And Watson, bring your revolver."

I'm nominating that line for the best I have seen on TFL to date....lol
youngunz4life and mete solved it, the German police officer is named

Watson.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old June 28, 2012, 01:25 AM   #14
youngunz4life

to late to edit....

that Korth revolver 357 is a nice firearm huh?! they said it was custom:

click on the blog link in the original post....on that very page if you scroll down it mentions that there is an update and the revolver might be a korth revolver. the korth is a different color and a link if you click on it. oh heck I'll just post the picture lol. I would like one. I mean that could be a model 629 44 magnum too...I don't see how one can tell the firearm via the picture?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg korth.jpg (14.5 KB, 164 views)
Old June 28, 2012, 01:26 AM   #15
Dragline45

When raiding houses or buildings there have been cases where in all the excitement of breaking down the door and rushing in officers have accidently shot other officers. There was actually a very recent case of it a couple months back or so. It appears the officer wielding the revolver is backing up a couple guys who are entering the bar, a revolver would seem to be a good choice for this due to the DA trigger ensuring you wont preemptively pull the trigger.

Also no way thats a korth, if you click on the image to make it larger and look at the pattern on the sign behind the revolver you can see it is not a full lug barrel, also I don't see any sign of the ribbed barrel. If I had to take a guess I would say a S&W 65 4"

Last edited by Dragline45; June 28, 2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old June 28, 2012, 01:32 AM   #16
bds32

Good stuff. There have been other special units that used revolvers for certain missions. I still think it is a great choice for up close offensive action in which there are some other considerations. For example, an open air hostage rescue where the hostage taker is surrounded by hostages and covered up with a blanket. Rifles are out of the question due to overpenetration and the need for a free hand. This type of operation could involve contact shots or obstructions that could cause the semi-auto to jam. I know the French GIGN (hostage rescue unit) used revolvers for this reason or similar reasons.
Old June 28, 2012, 01:49 AM   #17
youngunz4life

dragkline I agree. I was wondering how someone could just know that without credible doubts. thanx for the pix

44 magnum model 629 maybe S&W???
Old June 28, 2012, 02:55 AM   #18
Burner

Supposedly the "tactical revolver" is a good choice for the shield guy because the awkward one handed hold the shield necessitates creates a lot of circumstance for operator induced malfunction as well as an obvious inability to clear the weapon.

Never done a dynamic entry with a shield in training or otherwise so I wouldn't know.

Added - someone hit this in the comments on the OP's link so rumor or not I guess I am not the only one who heard it.
Old June 28, 2012, 04:02 AM   #19
Willie Lowman

Tactical German Revolvers?

How bout this for tactical and German?

Old June 28, 2012, 04:09 AM   #20
Burner

Quote:
How bout this for tactical and German?
The Firearm Blog had an article on this one a while ago. There was one pearl of a comment.

"That’s German engineering for you. I hear that a German anvil has 30 moving parts, and has to be wound every ten minutes of use."

I lol'd.
Old June 28, 2012, 08:31 AM   #21
Jim Watson

As long ago as the 1970s, when most German PDs were turning in their .32s for 9mms in the approved P5,6,7 series, there was one very tough outfit that really hated losing their Model 19s. I no longer have the periodical that names the agency, sorry.

Seems that not all German PDs quit revolvers, at least not for some applications.
Old June 28, 2012, 07:18 PM   #22
Glenn Dee

Still I ask whats the big deal?

A SWAT type using a revolver? I could think of many reasons to use one in a similar situation. What? there are like eight officers with all kind of sub-machine guns, auto pistols, and all kinds of gear. It's not like the team will run out of ammo any time soon.

My guess would be that a special team like that may have some choice in their weaponry. Maybe this officer chose a revolver. I'd bet that if all officers had some choice in their servce firearm.. you'd see a lot more revolvers on the street.

In this or a similar situation I dont see where the use of either a revolver or an autoloader would make much difference.
Old June 28, 2012, 08:13 PM   #23
youngunz4life

Glenn I agree
Old June 28, 2012, 08:23 PM   #24
jmr40

For probably 99% of applications a semi-auto is a better choice, but I see an application for an accurate, powerful, long barreled revolver here.

In a possible hostage situation a very accurate, shot at longer than normal range may need to be taken and a rifle may not be an option because of the layout of the building. A very good shot could pull that off with a "hunting style" revolver vs a combat stye semi-auto much easier.
Old June 28, 2012, 08:38 PM   #25
youngunz4life

I'm not sure about 99% but my views might be tainted since I refer revolvers

....check out the officer with sneakers, jeans, and a different shirt....it just all depend son the situation. the officer might have had to draw in an instant and the other guy might've dropped what he was doing to assist in the 'call'