The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 26, 2000, 12:28 AM   #1
Bud Helms

So, it's 0430 this AM and the dog (shih-tzu) starts hassling and breathing heavy to wake me up 'cause she wants to go out and pee.

Up I come, take a little tinkle of my own and pull on some britches, slide my mocs on, grab a jacket, put on my headlamp, grab the .22 ... nope the .22's off somewhere I can't remember, so I get my nightstand pistol, the Mak, and off we go. By this time she's really ready to go.

Out in the front yard she decides she's got to smell every damn blade of grass and azalea bush and takes her time peeing. I'm waking up pretty good by now and something catches my eye just at the outside perimeter of the mercury vapor night light over the garage door. It's a possum. No big deal. A possum. This is Georgia. Georgia has lots of possums ... they're not exactly rare. Nasty, greasy little marsupials. Ever see a possum with its teeth bared? Whoo!

So, I'm eyeing the possum, knowing that the dog will go off on a cross-country after the damn ugly thing if she sees it. It's 0450 by now. I edge around so the possum can see me and the dog can't see the possum, knowing the possum will take off. It doesn't. The little bastid makes a beeline for me and the dog. It's about forty steps away doing the waddle right for us. [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]?! I grab the dog up and turn on the head lamp to make damn sure it sees us. It does. It keeps coming. Now the dog sees the possum.

Now I've got a squirming shih-tzu screaming her dang head off and a possum trotting my way at 0500 hrs and no contingency plan ... ! 'Friggin possum's about 12-14 feet away and finally slows down and fangs up! Jesus, what a sight! Out comes the Mak in a flash . I'm still holding the dog in my left arm, finally got the Mak in my right hand, sighting bullseye style at a possum that has its lips way back over its head ... nothing but teeth ... lots of 'em.

I realize, in a flash, that my truck is the back drop for this shot and start sidling for a clear shot and the possum starts coming again. I start backing up. The possum picks up a little speed and I have to turn sideways to keep distance and it's a little difficult to keep the light on the little bastid while I'm turned away. So now I'm moving away from the critter, holding a yodeling, berserk shih-tzu, trying to get a shot at an early morning possum over my shoulder with my deadly Bulgie Makarov, without shooting my house or my vehicle. And, yeah, I'm breathing fast! What's up with this possum?

I finally turn to follow the curve of the driveway and the back stop for the shot is heavy woods and I'm ready to do the deed. All aimed up and ready and the possum goes right by and about its business. Now I'm about ready to shoot the dog. I've managed to hold on to one leg and she's almost squirmed loose. I holster up, grab the little shih-t__ and head for the front door. We get inside and the wife wakes up 'cause the dog is having a coronary. She wants to know what's up and I say, "Nothing," make some coffee and start laughing ... KNOWING I'd tell on myself on TFL.

- sensop (Baaaad a$$ with a Mak)

[Edited by sensop on 11-26-2000 at 01:33 AM]
Old November 26, 2000, 02:02 PM   #2
Zorro

Rabies Anyone?

You should have blasted him anyway opossums are known to be common rabies carriers.

I got bit by a rabid cat 2 years ago and the shots hurt like hell and there are a lot of them.

Any animal acting strange like that is a risk.

Make sure all your pets are immunized, that's how I got tagged my cat didn't have the shot and she just went nuts while I was petting her.

I figured in the center of town there was little risk, well that was a painful mistake.

Old November 27, 2000, 12:37 AM   #3
bk40

sensop, a very entertaining tale worthy of the LawDog Files! Like Zorro my first suspicion would be rabies...

now, down here in Mississippi we deal with rabid possums in a more deadly manner than Maks

----------
{edited by ASPCA}
Old November 27, 2000, 04:44 AM   #4
Bud Helms

You know, I thought of the possibility of rabies way too late. I agree. I'll have to get the High Standard limbered up and start carrying it around the yard after dark. Even though I got a clear shot because of woods, there really are a lot of houses nearby. I'll have to give the sheriff a heads up about the shooting that's going to be heard around here.
Old November 27, 2000, 05:14 AM   #5
pawcatch

I'm a trapper and come across possums often,but the season on possums doesn't start till december 1st here in georgia.I hardly ever kill the possums I catch though I just turn them loose.And in georgia only rimfires and shotguns with shot no bigger than no.2 can be used on them.But possum aren't shy of humans one bit so I doubt it was rabid.
Old November 27, 2000, 06:21 AM   #6
Bud Helms

pawcatch,

I appreciate that info. 'Didn't realize all that about season and "legal to take". I should know better. But, I came here from Florida 14 years ago and I still can't get used to a season on rabbits!

A good point about them not being shy of humans too. I have run them off the cat's food bowl many times. Maybe I should treat 'em like nosy neighbors?

Now I really want to know how to identify a rabid possum!! I think I need to read up.

- sensop
Old November 27, 2000, 04:15 PM   #7
pawcatch

I'm sorry I was wrong about the hunting season it starts oct.15 same as coons.The trappimg season on them starts the 1st of dec.
Old November 27, 2000, 05:27 PM   #8
Ledbetter

I shoot every one that comes in my garden-they eat my pond fish

I use a Ruger .22 with a Beamshot laser, and a strong light in the other. It's alsomt too easy.

Led
Old November 27, 2000, 09:37 PM   #9
Zorro

For close range, near the house work a .410 shotgun with 1/2 ounce of number 6 shot and a full choke is the ticket.

Old November 27, 2000, 10:08 PM   #10
Bud Helms

.410!

I have a .410 H&R single! You're right. That's the right medicine.

bk40 ...
Old November 28, 2000, 06:28 PM   #11
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

The first year I was hunting out at Spartacuses' family's place in E GA, I was out of the cabin so my dog could do her thing. There are coyotes in the area, and my dog weighs about 21 lbs, so I always carry a gun when I'm outside.

This night, I was carrying my Sub-9, when Startdust started barking at something in the yard. I walked over, and there was a large possum.

Now, I had automatically covered the greasy little (15 lb) bastard with my carbine. I'm standing there, and I think: it's not hurting me. I'm not gonna eat it. I should just let it go. Then he growled, and showed those teeth.

BOOM!

The bullet peeled a large section of the skull away, and the critter spasmed. I hit him again in the body. Reports from the KTOG list indicate that possums are quite hard to kill, for the size. (124-grn Corbon was in the carbine.)

Sensop, I would have honestly considered firing as it came for you self-defense. No joke. Not being afraid is one thing, but advancing with arms bared (so to speak) is another.
Old November 28, 2000, 06:50 PM   #12
Ledbetter

Nasty mean and probably rabid. What more do you want?

I agree with Spectre. They are vermin. See my post above. They will hang around and have a family if you let them. Even if no vet bill this morning, what about the next thousand times? Good luck, stay safe.