The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 10, 2009, 03:40 PM   #1
skidooman603

Swedish Ljungman questions???

I am looking to purchase one of these rifles. A couple questions. Do they have a rear peep? How do they compare to the M1 Garand accuracy and weight wise? Always been a fan of the 6.5x55
Old September 10, 2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Claude Clay

weight is less than a garand--but unless you are going to carry it afield it matters little.
accuracy of both is dependant on the bbl.
the m-96 when set for 100 meters is going to shoot high cause they really are zeroed for 300 when set for 100.
k-31's are the same: go figure

for the 6,5 if you know how to read the disk you will know what condition the bbl was the last time it left the arsenal. a 6.4(marked on the )9 is best. on the '0' is acceptable. the wedge with a 1-2-3 in it should have no mark or the '1'. the 'torp' is how it is sighted at 300 metere--over or under. not truly relevant as you will be reloading for 100 [ or whatever] yards yourself.

none i have seen have factory peeps. i have seen one with an aftermarket peep and it looked professional. the stock had been sporterized also so i am going to guess it was used for hunting. in Europe the 6.5 x 55 is used much as our 30-30 is here.

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old September 10, 2009, 05:32 PM   #3
hodaka

You are mixing up your Swedes, Claude. The Ljungman is a semi-auto. I have never fired one but would love to have one. A friend had one and I think they are good quality, on par with a Garand but more rare.

BTW- the sights on a K-31 are set for 100yds (or meters).
Old September 10, 2009, 06:34 PM   #4
skidooman603

Thanks for the feedback. I own many Garands, 1903s, 1903A3's, M1 Carbines, 1917's, Mausers, ect but this one intriques me.
Old September 10, 2009, 07:02 PM   #5
hodaka

Me too! The Egyptian Hakim is a rough copy in 8mm. In the early 90's you could pick those up for a couple of hundred bucks IIRC. What sort of price are you looking at these days?
Old September 10, 2009, 07:10 PM   #6
Baba Louie

Think of a Garand using direct impingement gas action, no op rod, etc and you have your Ljungman... more or less.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old September 11, 2009, 03:22 AM   #7
skidooman603

Nice ones seem to be goin in the $600-$800 range
Old September 11, 2009, 06:48 AM   #8
2damnold4this

I had a Rashid, an Egyptian version of the Ljungman in 7.62x39, but could never get it to run right.
Old September 11, 2009, 01:41 PM   #9
GONIF

the egyptian version of the Ag42 Ljungman is in fact the Hakim ,the Rashid is a strange version of the Hakim in 7.62x39 that looks like an SKS of sorts ..I have both the Hakim in 8mm and a Ljungman in6.5x55 and they both are great rifles . if you have a chance to get a nice example of ether you will enjoy it .prices on a good Ljungman are going to be high and you may have trouble finding spare parts shoul you need them in the future . I also have 2 M1 Garands 1 is a CMP rack grade and 1 is a Cmp that was a top grade (I forget what they called it ) that looks new . both are excellant shooters . given the choice of a Ljungman or a M1 Garand in top condition I would opt for a Garand . that said if I wanted a semi auto of that era it would be the M1A/M14 .

Last edited by GONIF; September 11, 2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old September 11, 2009, 02:21 PM   #10
2damnold4this

Yes, the Rashid has a charging handle unlike the Hakim but otherwise it has the same operating system. I never could get more than five or six shots in a row before it would dork up. Maybe that's why the Egyptians made so few Rashids.
Old September 11, 2009, 02:49 PM   #11
skidooman603

My problem is I have a tough time with the notch rear sight versus a peep. My mausers I cant shoot nearly as well as my American mil-surps with a peep
Old September 11, 2009, 02:56 PM   #12
BobR

Quote:
I have both the Hakim in 8mm and a Ljungman in6.5x55 and they both are great rifles .
I have both of them also. The Ljungman is a much nicer rifle, IMO. But, the Hakim is great for clearing the benches next to me of riff-raff if needed.

Quote:
My mausers I cant shoot nearly as well as my American mil-surps with a peep
Try one of these for your Mausers, people swear by them.

http://www.mojosights.com/

bob
Old September 11, 2009, 03:09 PM   #13
GONIF

and I see I'm not the only one who brings a Hakim to the range to clear the bench next to me ,ya gotta love the MB on the Hakim .
Old September 11, 2009, 07:33 PM   #14
Tom2

I remember seeing a Swede for around 250$ plus or minus(probaby plus) years ago at the gun shows. I was tempted and should have bit. I am sure is softer shooting than the Egyptian 8MM version. And is quite valuable. They were in decent condition, near perfect, when they started coming in. I am sure you could adapt some sort of peep sight to it, but it would have to be something that mounts where the regular sight goes to not alter the gun. That is not optimum at all for a peep, but the one on the Japanese rifles is usable, despite the configuration. If you butcher it up any at all to modify the sight so that it is not reversable back to original, you just killed alot of investment value on one. Maybe get one of those peep sight things that snaps on your glasses and helps sharpen up open sights.