The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2000, 05:45 AM   #1
Big Bunny

Anyone out ther had problems with +5% non-chambering with new Winchester brand S&W 40s using a black "petal" type metal jacket?

Well we have had problems with brass 'bulges' way over spec near the head, leading to stoppages in Glock pistols on our range.

Yes...well -
I too made the usual flippant comments to the people concerned over lack of cleaning and 'Gaston's revenge' and happily took the rounds home for a check, to report back on any findings.
To my surprise they WERE way over spec and would not chamber even in my CZ-75 either.
Hell!!

Now we are talking seriously here. A stoppage while on patrol could lead to loss of life with these people I feel. Also the ammo is not cheap here with the aussie 'zloti' dollar at near 50c/USD and a Winch US imported box costing nearly $40 for 50 carts in local sports stores.
I am appalled at possible US factory poor Winchester Q/Control, but is this usual for them? There was no obvious damage to the patrol rounds, but the teflon lead target L/Enforcement ammo round has similar problems but it is of low quality ove4rall this can be expected so not such a problem on the range - and could even be good training!
Any comment would be appreciated as this is a "no duff" call and could affect morale.
I have advised for them to check each round for chambering in a disassembled barrel/chamber before use or magazine filling...(as we shooters do in some hunting ammo).
The disclaimer on each packet is fairly all encompassing as regards liability.But it should never have happened, to hell with liability etc - I feel.
Batch number and ID is available. Do I report direct or through channels. Advice please BB

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.
Old September 22, 2000, 06:14 PM   #2
Big Bunny

Moderator...please could you consider moving this to another page as I need a reply on this one.BB
Old September 22, 2000, 10:48 PM   #3
saands

I can't help with the proper channels to get this resolved. I read it because I reload a lot of .40S&W and wnated to help with your problem as a reloader ... if you are interested, Lee Precision makes a "Factory Crimp" die that also full length resizes the round. You can set it to ignore the crimping and just use it to guarantee chambering, but that would be fixing the factory's problem ... I'd return the whole lot.
Best of luck,
Saands
Old September 23, 2000, 12:53 AM   #4
Big Bunny

Thanks Saands....it was a part of a contract PD lot!
Thanks for replying.
BB

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.