The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2000, 06:55 PM   #1
Moose

Please tell me if there is one powder that will work OK for both calibers.
Just to get me started to learn the basics first.
Thanks, MOOSE

Old April 5, 2000, 08:16 PM   #2
Bud Helms

Moose,

I am going to be as sincere as I can in this answer and you must understand it for the kindness it is meant to be.

If you are trying to learn the basics of reloading, accept my compliments. There aren't enough reloaders here on TFL in my opinion. But, do you have a couple of reloading manuals?

You MUST get at least one, preferably two or three reloading books and READ before you buy your first canister of powder.

Then come back and ask some serious questions because you will be better prepared to do so.

Don't get turned off by this reply, please. Once you get a good book, like Speer, Hornady or Lyman, and really read it, you'll understand. I promise you it's not boring reading. If you like to shoot, especially rifle (as in .30-30 and .270), it'll be fantastic reading. You won't be sorry.

BTW, there is a powder or two that can be used for both. IMR 4064 is one. There are others. IMR 4895, RL12, W760, H414, H450, H380. It depends on the bullet weight, desired velocity, intended purpose of the load, and how badly you want to be hurt when you blow up your .270. The .270 cartridge needs a slower burning powder than the .30-30, as a rule.

Trying to choose one powder for the .30-30 and the .270 is like trying to pick the same tires for a 4x4 pickup truck and Buick Roadmaster. Only the results are much more noticeable.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited April 05, 2000).]
Old April 6, 2000, 02:30 AM   #3
Mal H
Staff

I'm going to second, third and fourth sensop's advice to get a good reloading book if you don't have one.

If I were to choose one powder to use for the two cals you mentioned, it would be IMR 4895. I have found that powder to be very versatile in both small (22-250) and medium large volume cases (270Win/30-06). Will it be the best one for all loads? No, but it will get you some pretty good and accurate loads.
Old April 6, 2000, 04:08 PM   #4
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Moose one other thing when you get your reloading manuals get some new ones pinted in the last few years. I have some older ones I bought in the early 60's (telling my age ) and while they were fine and all my fingers (and guns) are still intact some of the loads that were listed back then are well over the maximum listed in todays manuals, in some cases by 2 grains or more. I realize a lot of this is caused by lawyers input and a lawsuit crazy country, but it is good to know. ALWAYS start either at the lowest listed load or at least 15% below the highest listed load and work up from there constantly watching for pressure signs, miking case dimensions, watching primers etc. Also a chronograph would be very valuable(they cost less than a good powder scale or measure today). If a load way below the listed maximum is giving velocities at or near maximum velocity and the case or primer shows the LEAST bit of pressure signs STOP do not increase anymore!! You may have a tight chamber, short freebore, harder bullet jacket material, or a longer bearing surface which is causing increased pressure. One other thing DO NOT go below the lowest listed charge either. It's highly unlikely but sometimes it seems that light charges of certain IMR powders may detonate in the case instead of burn turning your rifle into a hand held hand grenade! We are not trying to scare you or discourage you from reloading its a truly rewarding hobby, but do use care and glean all the information that you can before you start. If you have any questions what so ever either ask them in this forum or please feel free to E-mail me at any time, Above all ENJOY!!!

------------------
Carlyle

[This message has been edited by Southla1 (edited April 06, 2000).]
Old April 6, 2000, 06:35 PM   #5
Moose

To SENSOP, MAL and SOUTHLA1:

Thanks for your response.
I appreciate it immensly, and I would never get mad or take it the wrong way when people with more experience give me advise!!!!!!!

Yes I do have manuals, and more then one.
And I do read them over and over and over again.
I fully understand that one powder will not serve both calibers perfectly, but even my Ford 4x4 will run OK on the highway with it's monster tires!
It is great to be experienced and to have years and years of visdom, but attempt to think back when YOU started first!
To pick the right powder, and then bullets and to make the perfect round takes experience and range tests!!
Well, I have to start somewhere, and quite frankly I must confess to you that after purchasing the press, scale,bullets, primers, calipers ,manuals, shells......you get the picture.......I can NOT afford to buy2 or 3 different powders, wit a HAZMAT fee attached to it, just to reload two rifle calibers.
I must also confess that my primary interest is in pistol reloading, and I have all the ingredients for the .40SW, 357 Mag, 38Spl and 9mm.
SO, sorry if my question was to simplistic, or sounded scary to you !
I will be educated before the first round is fired, I will read all my manuals, and I will listen to what I was told on this site.
Thanks again to all,.....MOOSE
Old April 6, 2000, 08:48 PM   #6
Bud Helms

Moose,

That makes me feel a lot better. 'Glad you took it the right way. You've got the right idea and now that I see that you're farther along than I first thought, here's this ... I expect each rifle and each different chambering I own to like a different powder, once I choose the bullet I want for that combo and purpose.

After you get all the money into reloading equipment, and the price of a rifle and scope, a pound of powder is only $20 or less. It's supposed to be fun! If your powder choice doesn't work out, save it! You'll need it some day on a different gun in a different cartridge.

Happy, safe reloading!
Old April 8, 2000, 12:10 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Is there no gun store in Port Charlotte? Or Fort Myers or Sarasota?

Is there no gun club in your general vicinity? No IPSC or IDPA group? No shooting ranges around, anywhere? Any of these can provide information as to where you can buy components at a local shop...

You can go to the Shotgun News website and click on their "gunshow" folder and check for anything in your general vicinity. Tampa or Orlando, if not closer.

Regards, Art
Old April 8, 2000, 05:19 AM   #8
johnnybravo

Testing...

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss.
Old April 8, 2000, 05:30 AM   #9
johnnybravo

Hey, it works.
Moose, I too primarily shoot pistol. When I load or shoot rifle it's for a break in the routine and have a little fun.
I didn't want a bunch of different rifle powders around because I knew I wouldn't burn them up very quick.
I tried a couple and settled for IMR 4895 for the .223, .30-30, and .30/06. This works out very well for me.
Yes, I researched my loads. Safety first.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss.
Old April 8, 2000, 09:42 PM   #10
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Art Eatman:

You can go to the Shotgun News website

Regards, Art
[/quote]

Please! Please! Mr. Eatman can you give me the web address to shotgun news? I have searched for it on-line to no avail.

Thanks,

------------------
Carlyle
Old April 8, 2000, 10:34 PM   #11
Bud Helms

Shotgun News
Old April 13, 2000, 06:27 PM   #12
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Thanks Art I have it bookmarked!