The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2000, 07:27 PM   #1
TAckerman

How do you guys clean the lube off a few hundred loaded progressive press assembled .223 rounds?

There has got to be a safe, effective and quick way to do this.

Thanx,
ACK
Old March 9, 2000, 07:51 PM   #2
WalterGAII

Just takes a few, safe, effective minutes with my Midway tumbler (vibratory) and treated cc media. If you use the spray-type lubricants, it's a lot easier.
Old March 9, 2000, 11:16 PM   #3
BILLG

I agree with Walter. I e-mailed Dillon awhile back and they said it could to no harm as long as it was a vibrating tumbler and not a rotary tumbler,tumble cases about 15 min.I use Dillon spray case lube on all my cases even when using carbide pistol dies,the reduced lever effort makes it worthwhile. BILLG
Old March 10, 2000, 07:14 PM   #4
HankL

10-4 to the above.
Hank
Old March 11, 2000, 09:43 AM   #5
dundee

From comments I've read about tumbling finished ammo combined with other things concerning deactivated primers, I never vibrate loaded ammo. As the previous person stated it may be safer to vibrate ammo than tumble it, but why take risks unnecessarly. Vibrating the ammo at this point may be the fastest way, but try to vibrate only as long as mecessary.

I always vibrate my rifle brass first, lube it and size in on a single stage press, then vibrate it again to remove the lube. At this point I check the case length and do any case prep necessary. Now I feel ready to load 223 on the Dillon. It adds a step or 2 but I feel confidant of the quality of the ammo produced this way.

[This message has been edited by dundee (edited March 11, 2000).]
Old March 11, 2000, 10:51 AM   #6
Patrick Graham

I lube, size on my rochchucker, tumble the lube off, then cycle them through my dillion. I have a sizing die in station one that is set up high enough not to size but to poke through the primer hole. This is just in case the hole is blocked by media.. Media in the primer pocket cost me an 8 point buck about 12 years ago.