The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 18, 1999, 11:01 AM   #1
Rich Lucibella
Staff

I guess most of you know that Kevin McClung is my favorite knifemaker. (He's also a fair teacher, advisor, gunsmith and friend ).

Some time ago I purchased a one of a kind Mad Dog short sword at auction...it was dubbed "The Warlord" by The Creator. As the work was still in progress when I purchased it, I took the liberty of faxing my hand print to Mr. Dog. One day later, he called to inform me that my hands are somewhat mutated in size and proportion. (Seeing as they're my hands, I have always been vaguely aware of this fact.)

Kevin suggested that I come out to the Mad Dog shop to have the two handed grip custom fitted. An opportunity like this doesn't present itself more than once in a lifetime; so off I went, Moderator Mykl in tow.

Well, I told you all that to tell you this: If interested in graphics of the process, kindly proceed to www.thefiringline.com/gif/WarLord1.html

If interested in the Mad Dog line of edged weapons and other implements of destruction, kindly proceed to www.mdenterprise.com/ .

Thanks Mr. Dog!
Rich

[Note: This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella]
Old April 18, 1999, 11:50 AM   #2
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

Rich;

Thanks for the Link to Mad Dog's page. A friend mentioned a type of knife I've been interested in and there it was!

Now. If Mr Dog would e-mail me I've got a ? concerning the Mirage-X Micro and the sales limitation on this.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Old April 18, 1999, 12:10 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Rich, thanks for including the photos. That had to be a fascinating session in Mad Dog's shop. I have always loved to watch true craftsmen at work. I even sat and watched for hours as a worker at a plywood plant cut out, by hand, those little ovals that cover the knots - a simple job, but he was so exacting in his work it was almost an art.
Old April 18, 1999, 01:42 PM   #4
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Rich,
Looks like a serious tool … Great photos. It’s good to be able to put a face with your name (the Mad Dog as well). By the way did you get a sheath with your sword? If so I’d love to see that as well.
Old April 19, 1999, 09:42 PM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Scott-
The sword comes with a slip-type sheath with regularly spaced holes the entire margin. This allows for some degree of imagination in attachment.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited April 19, 1999).]
Old April 21, 1999, 01:18 AM   #6
fubsy

There is another custom knife (there thousands), but this man makes hi quality and unique designs.....if you get a chance look up Walter Brend, Walterboro, SC...Ive his number and address some where---but Ive been out of custom knives bout 5 years or so.....still admire em though...fubsy.
Old April 24, 1999, 10:29 PM   #7
Rob Pincus

DAvid,

If your question is very technical or specific to his sales policies, you will have to talk to MR. Dog, of course, but if you want an unbiased opinion of the Mirage-X knives and to hear the results of my testing of the knife and its unique abilities, just Email.