The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 7, 2015, 04:12 AM   #26
bamaranger

centerfeed

The Savage "centerfeed" is not like the older staggered mag rifles as noted, but not too difficult with a bit of familiarzation. I bought a Savage Hog a year ago, and found the system different, but not difficult,and after one deer season, load it now w/o a second thought. I wouldn't let the centerfeed scare me off from a good deal or a rifle I wanted due to other features. One would't be speed loading a varmint bolt rifle all that much, anyhow.

One tip that may help is that a solid, one piece scope base on the rifle does rob one of a bit of room over the open bolt. I've a two piece base on the Hog Rifle and think that may be a better solution than a solid rail, despite a possible accuracy benefit from the one piece base.
Old March 8, 2015, 05:43 PM   #27
CLC

As a PA native I wouldn't give up all hope on the AR. Lots of guys are working on getting the laws changed. That being said I personally went with a Remington 700 sps in .223. It's a bit on the heavy side but much of my shooting is within shotgun range anyway.
Old March 8, 2015, 05:55 PM   #28
The Verminator

CZ-527 Carbine

Oh, do I love my CZ-527 carbine!

Handy and accurate. Set trigger when you want to use it, but the regular trigger pull is excellent anyway. Barrel, I think, is 18.5 inches.

It does have its quirks.......safety works backwards, magazine protrudes a bit.....but I can deal with them. It shoots well. CZ makes great barrels.

The question of barrel length vs. accuracy came up earlier.

Shorter barrels can be harder to shoot accurately (practical field accuracy shooting offhand is what I mean) but you beat that that by using a sling and also smart shooting positions (like sitting for example).

Slings are not just for carrying.
Old March 9, 2015, 01:44 AM   #29
johnwilliamson062

There is also sight radius to consider if using open sights. Between a 16" and 22" barrel there is a difference there, but nowhere as dramatic as between a 2.5" and 6" pistol.

I try to avoid new production rifles. A CZ 455 FS in 22lr is my next rifle though. If it turns out well I expect to pick up a couple more over the next few years.
Old March 10, 2015, 12:49 AM   #30
Clark

$240 1972 Savage 110 .223 gun show 2013

I made pillars from Aluminum rod.
I cut ribs for the epoxy to grip.
I cut space for trigger relief.
I cut the tops with a boring head in the mill to have a concave radius that matched the radius of the receiver bottom.
I tightened the screws on the pillars to have them pre compressed in the epoxy before it set up.

I changed some things:
$109 Boyd's tactic kool stock
$114 Lothar Walther .224" 14" twist CM barrel blank bought on sale in 2002
$26 SSS recoil lug
$11 paint
$67 cheek rest Karsten's Custom Cheek Rest A-Model
$55 tactical bolt handle

First group at 100 yards with 35 gr Vmax 15 gr Blue dot ~ 35kpsi 3500 fps

I am $622 into it.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 14, 2015, 08:12 PM   #31
pltx2000

Just picked up my Mossberg MVP Varmint. Adding, budget accessories, a UTG bipod and Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 scope. We'll see how it does. The laminated stock looks really nice.
Old March 21, 2015, 11:48 PM   #32
pltx2000

Range experience

Rifle shoots great. Very accurate. However, mag well is poorly designed. Clip flops around and if not held forward when chambering a round you get FTF about half the time.
Very disappointed with the mag well. You'd think Mossberg quality would be better than this.
Old March 22, 2015, 06:43 AM   #33
10-96

Pltx- don't give up on your Mossberg yet. I wasn't thrilled at all with mine until I shot it a bit and started using different magazines. I forget what all name breands, but they are used surplus 20 rounders- oh- and the Brownells 20 rounders work better as well.

I can't use poly mags at all apparently. I tried a P-Mag and a Magpull- neither of them would stay locked in.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 22, 2015, 08:01 PM   #34
pltx2000

Tried multiple mags

I tried pmags as well, still lots of wobble. Tried 20 & 30 rd metal mags too. All had lots of play.
Old March 23, 2015, 06:25 PM   #35
Arizona Fusilier

Wow....thanks for that intel on the Mossberg.

I'm sorry, but there's more than enough guns that work perfectly out of the box that one should not have to suffer so much experimentation and expense.
Old March 24, 2015, 06:55 AM   #36
sigp226wgerman

Savage is good, check out the Mossberg MVP which takes AR mags.

Tags
cabelas , magazine , savage , stock , varmint