The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old December 24, 2011, 05:34 PM   #1
5RWill

Is this normal size for a wolf?

First off this isn't me as you can see i live in the delta. But i was wondering fo rall you that hunt wolves in the mountains and protect elk populations etc. This size of that animal isn't normal is it? This just seems far to big for a wolf. Maybe i've never seen one and thats why but thats rather huge IMO.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...84#Post2987984

Last edited by 5RWill; December 24, 2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old December 24, 2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Anything in front of the person will look relatively larger than reality. That's true for fish, deer or wolves.

However, it looks to be about the same size as a full-body mount I saw in a gunstore in Detroit in 1963, so, yeah, allowing for the camera deal, it's about right.

According to a bunch of buzz here at and at THR wolf threads, a big male at around 150 is not rare.
Old December 24, 2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Rembrandt

Those look about right.
Old December 24, 2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Deja vu

pretty typical I think. he ones I have seen are about that size.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old December 24, 2011, 08:55 PM   #5
5RWill

I wanna kill one now not that we have them around here but i never though they were that big.
Old December 24, 2011, 09:07 PM   #6
Ridgerunner665

I've only laid eyes on 1 wild wolf in my life....it was in Wisconsin a while back, feeding on a deer that had been hit by a car. It was right next to the road...

Yes...it was that big, at least 150 lbs.
Old December 25, 2011, 01:23 AM   #7
stevelyn

On average they run about 100-120#. The ones in the pics look a bit bigger than that and are what i would consider exceptional.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old December 25, 2011, 03:49 AM   #8
SHNOMIDO

ive seen what Id call "city-wolves" walking down the sidewalk at about 3am here in the IL suburbs bordering on farmland.

happened about 3 times. Was probably the same fella all three times. He was a little guy, maybe 60 pounds if wolves run the same as dogs.

I gotta tell you, as a semi-city slicker, that scares the hell out of me! I didnt know they came that big!
Old December 25, 2011, 05:21 AM   #9
warbirdlover

That one in the pics was an unusually large one shot in Idaho. The alpha males might occasionally get that big but that's not quit the norm. They still are some very large animals. We have a huge black alpha male on our land but it's not that big. It's chased deer right past some guys blinds during rifle deer season. I posted some pics of some of the smaller wolves taken by one of the bow hunters. Here is what a more typical wolf looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wolfnormal.jpg (73.8 KB, 222 views)
Old December 25, 2011, 12:15 PM   #10
taylorce1

My only experience with wolves was the one my buddy shot during our bear hunt in southeast Alaska last may. This was a young female around 75-80 lbs. My buddy that shot the wolf is 5'10" and 190 lbs.

Old December 25, 2011, 12:28 PM   #11
Shotgun693

Wolves have very distinct size variations. The big Canadian wolves are being brought in to 'repopulate' the Western States. You might wanna buy a bigger gun.
Old December 25, 2011, 02:07 PM   #12
Buzzcook

I don't know how much those two animals weigh. But average is under 100lb.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...-than-hunters/

http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2010/...in-idaho-hunt/

The claims of 150lb wolves is right up there with 40lb trout. They're out there but not the norm.
Old December 25, 2011, 02:54 PM   #13
Deja vu

Here in Idaho where the wolves have lots of elk/deer/sheep/calves to eat they get pretty big. I suspect in areas where there is less for them to eat they may not get as big.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old December 25, 2011, 04:48 PM   #14
Gbro

I have seen some very big wolves and then many smaller ones also.Of course these smaller ones were in the summer and some of the smallest were in Canada were we watched 3 that were chasing a deer that swam out into the lake we were fishing. The wolves couldn't follow the sent because it kept bringing them into the shore as the deer made good the escape
The wolf will look smaller in summer and I am dreaming of a picture with my smile in it some day also.
Old December 26, 2011, 03:26 PM   #15
Colorado Redneck

From National Geographic

Fast Facts:
Type:Mammal
Diet:Carnivore
Average life span in the wild:6 to 8 years
Size:Head and body, 36 to 63 in (91 to 160 cm); Tail, 13 to 20 in (33 to 51 cm)
Weight:40 to 175 lbs (18 to 79 kg)

The diet of newly introduced wolves in areas that are high elk populations probably allows them to reach their genetic size limitations.
Old December 26, 2011, 04:24 PM   #16
jmr40

Those photo's look fake to me. I've killed a 260 lb bear that wasn't nearly as large as the animals in those photo's. No way I could have held my bear up that way to pose.
Old December 26, 2011, 04:47 PM   #17
Alaska444

THe Idaho wolves are gorging on huge dinners of elk and deer with a few domestic pets thrown in the pile from time to time. Yes, 180 pounds is seen here officially.
Quote:
COEUR d'ALENE - As the woman walked by the truck with the tailgate down, she glanced at what lay in the bed of the pickup parked outside Fish and Game's Coeur d'Alene headquarters.
Then, her eyes opened wide.
"Oh my God," she said.
It was the head and fur of what had been a massive wolf that Brett Pitcher shot Monday.
The 2002 Coeur d'Alene High School graduate got what he estimated was a 180-pound wolf in the St. Joe area.
"Really. I live there. I don't like that," the woman said Tuesday morning. "That's big."
http://www.cdapress.com/news/local_n...5118ce217.html

Why do they get so big here in Idaho? First, this is the largest subspecies of wolf, the Canadian Mackenzie Valley Wolf. This is not the native canus lupus irremotus that they replaced. The native Idaho wolf was much smaller and had a different temperament.

Secondly, they have unlimited supply of game animals not yet depleted. Some studies document 47 elk killed per wolf. Add a number of deer and you see an amazing feast here in Idaho by these huge killers.

So to the question of faking the pictures? No, not by that documented by F&G for instance in the link above. Yes, that is a big wolf and that is what they can grow to be here in Idaho. It is an alien subspecies gone wild in an ungulate population that just can't cope with these giant killing machines. I have no doubt that those photos are quite real.

Here is another set of pictures of the wolf from CDA above. Yes, that is a big wolf!!

http://www.skinnymoose.com/bbb/2010/...gs-first-wolf/
Old December 27, 2011, 12:04 AM   #18
warbirdlover

Quote:
Those photo's look fake to me. I've killed a 260 lb bear that wasn't nearly as large as the animals in those photo's. No way I could have held my bear up that way to pose.
Those aren't fake photos. Those were in a major hunting magazine that I have somewhere laying around the house. They named the hunter and gave the story of it.
Old December 27, 2011, 09:46 AM   #19
Deja vu

If you see wolves in a zoo they are usually well fed and very big, wolves in Idaho are nearly as well fed and they get exercise to build muscle mass. They are naturally going to tend toward the larger end of the species

Old December 27, 2011, 10:09 AM   #20
Skadoosh

I think they are just big boned up there from radiation accidents at all those Idaho nuke labs.
Old December 27, 2011, 10:22 AM   #21
5RWill

I wonder if the elk/deer population in these places are taking a big hit. Regular size wolves alone feed on elk, these look as though one or two would have no problem taking down a full size elk.
Old December 27, 2011, 10:50 AM   #22
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Is this normal size for a wolf?
LOL, my dog looks about 50% larger too with her winter coat. Look how much the guy's arms sink into the coat such that the arm wrapped around the wolf doesn't actually appear to be wider than the circumference of the rest of the wolf's coat.

Quote:
THe Idaho wolves are gorging on huge dinners of elk and deer with a few domestic pets thrown in the pile from time to time. Yes, 180 pounds is seen here officially.
Wow A444, that is really amazing. Your "official" record seems to be from a hunter's boastful estimate to a reporter and not actually from any official source. Now I realize that no hunter has ever overstated the size of his kill and that like fishermen, can be counted on to provide absolutely unbiased and accurate results. However, if he really did have a 180 lb. MacKenzie Valley gray wolf, he would have the new record given that the record is 175 lbs. and was from a wolf taken in Alaska more than 80 years ago in 1939.
http://www.californiawolfcenter.org/learn/wolf-facts/
http://www.cosmosmith.com/mackenzie_valley_wolves.asp

But hey, if you have access to "official" records that indicate that the wolves in Idaho are bigger than the previously held record, please share them with us. An unweighed and unconfirmed boastful estimate from a hunter to a newspaper reporter doesn't actually count.

Quote:
It’s not surprising that wolf weights get exaggerated, said Jim Hayden, Fish and Game’s regional wildlife manager in Coeur d’Alene.

“They look huge,” he said. “They’ve got long legs, big heads and lots of fur.”
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...-than-hunters/

---------------
Quote:
Those aren't fake photos. Those were in a major hunting magazine that I have somewhere laying around the house. They named the hunter and gave the story of it.
Oh please do share with us the name, year, and month of the major magazine with the pictures. Based on the internet postings, that wolf gets killed a lot, new every year since 2009 and has been killed in Idaho (generic state listing), Yellowstone, Sun Valley, Montana, Manitoba, and Alberta. Most of the posts have the wolf being from Canada and not the US.

Funny how the hunter who supposedly shot this now famous record 197, 230, 230+, or 235 lb. wolf, or his guide that was supposedly along at the time, didn't think to get the kill confirmed by any officials despite knowing it was a record. Most hunters would be extremely pleased to have their name associated with the largetst known wolf kill, and yet this hunter doesn't. Odd.

Oh wait, maybe there is no clear cut story, no famous hunter, no single weight or location, and no official record because the image and information are hoaxed?
http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005139271
Old December 27, 2011, 10:56 AM   #23
5RWill

Well damn lol
Old December 27, 2011, 11:05 AM   #24
Alaska444

Hey, DNS, wow, over the top man. No response needed. LOL
Old December 27, 2011, 06:19 PM   #25
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Lordy, DNS, take a valium, okay? It'll still hurt, but you won't care.
Closed Thread