The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 14, 2006, 10:30 PM   #26
oldbillthundercheif

Thadscott.com did not have a single Anschutz in stock as far as I could tell. I looked all over the website and had no luck at all...

Too bad. I'm in the market for a used Deutsche Wunderbubchen.

I'm glad you like the CM-2 so much but it is not in the same league as any Anschutz. It's not a viable option for competition above an informal level.
Old November 15, 2006, 01:00 PM   #27
P-990

I agree with oldbill; comparing a sub-$500 rifle to an Anshutz is like comparing a Daisy Red Rider to a FWB free-rifle. Actually, a FWB is another good option for a target .22.

I still say that if you can locate a used KK100, you're in good shape. I wish we still had my brother's old one right now. Much easier to practice on a 50-yard smallbore range in the winter, once snow hits.

For certain informal matches you could probably do OK with an accurized 10/22, if it suits your fancy. Just as another option.
Old November 15, 2006, 08:51 PM   #28
Ken O

Another suggestion here.... try McLane Tilton http://www.mtguns.com/ he has over 1500 used Anshutz in stock, also Walther and other higher end match rifles. He doesn't list what he has on the internet, so its best to call him and he can guide you on what model would be best for what you want to do. He does a bore scope on the rifle before he sends it. He also is a distributor for the CM-2 if that is the way you want to go, but talk to him, he will give you the straight scoop.
I recently picked up a 1407 from him, and I got a real hammer (and what a beauty also).
Old November 16, 2006, 12:15 AM   #29
onlybrowning

I shoot a Walther GX1. I have shot a lot of Anschutz, and while I like them, they are not as easy to adjust as Walthers. Also, Walther offers an electronic trigger. Another is Feinwerkbau. I have not shot one though, but some guys in my league do. I will post a pic of mine if someone tells me how.
Old November 20, 2006, 02:57 PM   #30
onlybrowning

Here is the one that I shoot.

It is a Walther GX1 and I bought it used. It has an inexpensive (junk) BSA 6-24x50mm on it and I have the trigger adjusted to a single stage at 1.6 OZ. These can be had used for relatively cheap.

Old November 22, 2006, 09:17 PM   #31
Shrike

^^^^^^^^that is a nice lookin machine there!
Old November 23, 2006, 10:52 PM   #32
Dead-Nuts-Zero

onlybrowning

Interesting!

Do you know what the overall weight is on that unit?
Old November 27, 2006, 01:41 AM   #33
onlybrowning

Without the weights I think about 13 lbs. I use about 3lbs of weights on it for the offhand position. I should post a pic of the targets we shoot if I can find one handy. Pretty slick. I wish I could shoot my handguns like this rifle. Also, thanks for the nice compliments.
Old December 11, 2006, 02:54 PM   #34
drobbin

Anschutz is tops

I recently acquired an Anschutz 2013 sport target rifle. This model is almost like the Super Match though a bit lighter. Shooting this rifle with some good Eley ammo has to be experienced to be believed. I started out shooting standing free rifle position without sling or other accessories at 55 yards. I surprised myself with several hits in the 10 ring and most other rounds in the black 8-9 rings. This is not to say that I'm any sort of great shooter.... just feels good to learn the skill. You won't regret getting an Anschutz... of course your bank account may groan a bit. Dan
Old December 29, 2006, 05:03 PM   #35
Tim R

I decided I needed to do some practice during the winter to keep my high power skills sharp. A friend of mine let me use his little used Win 52C for use in a heated indoor 22 range.

All I can say is I now understand the hype on the 52. The rifle flat shoots using plain ole' CCI standard using a post in the front sight.
Old November 15, 2010, 09:22 AM   #36
shooterer

Just like Tim, I joined a smallbore gallery team as a winter practice for summer Highpower matches. I am only 1 of 2 shooters using iron sights. Wanting to test the waters before I jumped in, I bought a used Kimber 82G for $380 and have been using up the case of Wolf match target that I bought for my CLE .22lr upper.

All I can say is WOW, smallbore is hard (and addicting)

I have been making progress on my scores, but I am still at the 290 range while the winners are shooting 365-380. I do understand that I will never be able to shoot 350+ with the rifle I have, but I needed to start somewhere and work on positions (kneeling sucks).

Being a gun hoarder all my life I have many rifles in the $300 - $700 range sitting in the safe not being used. I have now started the process to cull the heard to fund a Anschutz 1913 supper match in a 1918 stock. My wife thinks I am crazy for wanting a 3k rifle, but as long as I selling to buy she is OK with it.

Hello, my name is Jim and I am now addicted to very accurate rifles.

ps, yes I know this is an old thread.
Old November 15, 2010, 10:26 AM   #37
4runnerman

Wow,Never thought it was so serious,. Kinda make my 10/22 look like junk.I shoot primers out of shot gun shells at 25 yards with ease,but a dot???. That seems very small. 22's are very fun to plink with and cheap.
Old November 15, 2010, 10:50 AM   #38
kraigwy

A lot of good information and opinions,

BUT

You need to decide on what type of competition you are talking about.

If you are serious about NRA or ISU Small bore then you are talking a lot of money. Best starting place I think would be the CMP rifles. For the price they work quite well then move on to the higher quality guns.

If you don't know how far you want to go then I would recommend getting into the CMP Rimfire Sporter Shooting. NRA & ISU is expensive, you are talking about a $1500 for the rifle, another grand or so for the other equipment (two leather coats, one for NRA and one for ISU), kneeling rolls, mats, scope and ammo stands, etc etc. Of course we haven't figured out what type of NRA ISU shooting, do you want a Prone rifle for English Matches, a Free Rifle, Standard Rifle or what.

CMP Rimfire Sporters are a bit different. A lot cheaper to get into. Just about any rifle you find in the gun rack will work.........but:

Yeah another BUT

What is the reason for 22 competitions, practice for hunting, practice for HP or Vintage Military Rifle matches.

I attended the CMP GSM Master Instructor's course with a couple who were really into Instructing CMP Rimfire Sporter Matches. They said pretty much any good 22 bolt gun would work. Its not a big money sport. How ever serious CMP Rimfire Shooters have gone to the CZ 452.

A lot of 22 competitors are into rimfire matches as a training tool for HP or CMP Vintage Rifle Matches. They recommend the CZ 452 Military Trainer. About the cheapest of the CZ line, but the sights are ladder sights like those that that come on surplus military rifles such as the 1903 Springfield, Mauser, and Mosin.

If you just want a starter 22 then Savage, Marlin etc make good ones for not much money.

Winchester 52s are great, but they don't make them any more, used ones are gonna be pricey. The H&R Model 12 or 5200, are good clones, but again they don't make them and the prices are climbing on those also.

CMP rimfire rifles arn't picky about ammo, mainly because the size of the scoring rings are huge compared to the ISU International Targets. Regardless of rifle you use in ISU, ammo is gonna make a difference. After you find the right ammo for your gun, you'll run out and then you'll find out your new ammo is a different lot number and you're gonna have to start all over. Rimfire sporters will let you get by with any good ammo.

I wont recommend a rifle, I would recommend you get into CMP Rimfire Sporter Shooting, and see where you want to go from there. Small bore shooting has many venues, the venue will determine what rifle you need.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071