The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 5, 2009, 06:36 PM   #26
ibdecent

I guess I'd say this thread amounts about the same as "why would anyone ever hunt with an assualt rifle?"

I don't, but if I wanted to, why should anyone care? If I can do it in a safe manner that affects nobody and can make a clean kill, then who are you to tell me what I can and can't hunt with?

just think about it.
Old December 6, 2009, 12:44 AM   #27
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'm rarely interested in passing laws against somebody's notion of how to do things that don't really hurt anything.

My problem with the use of a .50 BMG is that's not particularly a hunting gun. A shooting gun, yeah, but I pretty much figure that shooting what I hunted for is sorta up close and personal. Now, some might think my self-imposed limit for range at around 400 yards is longer than they'd shoot, but to me it's reasonably up close and personal.

Shooting something which is basically farther away than is readily or easily seen with the nekkid eyebone just doesn't sit right with me.

And hunting is supposed to be fun. Toting somewhere around 30 pounds of go-bang doesn't really strike me as fun.

So I wouldn't want to pass a law against it. But the idea strikes me as really silly.
Old December 6, 2009, 01:18 AM   #28
noyes

Interesting Thread

Sounds like military use should be questioned also.......
Old December 6, 2009, 01:20 AM   #29
Mike U.

Yeah, I agree. NO LAWS against it, please.
After thinking about it for awhile, I believe it's really a 'to-each-his-own' kind of issue.

For example, I'd have no problem at all with using one to turn varmints into
RED MIST!

That would actually be fun. Maybe, too much fun.
I KNOW it would be too much money.
Old December 6, 2009, 02:54 AM   #30
sc928porsche

I have always wondered why they never used the 50bmg cartridge for DG in Africa. They do use big bores down there. With the progress that barrett and mc millian have made with the rifles, it seems like a logical choice. Just a thought.
Old December 6, 2009, 03:26 AM   #31
fixxervi6

I thought I saw someplace that due to the burn rate of powder the "limit" of burned propellent shots is something like 5050 fps? I dont' remember the exact number.
Old December 8, 2009, 02:59 PM   #32
banditt007

Quote:
What in the world do you consider fast? Here are some velocities from different bullet weights out of the .50bmg.
I consider using normal bullet weights for the gun that shoot over 3200FPS or so 'fast'. when off the shelf bread and butter 30-06 and .270's shoot right at or very close to 3k FPS, it seems more of a 'normal' velocity than a 'super duper blazing fast magnum' round. Sabots are a whole different story, which of course ups anythings velocity considerably. W/o a doubt the WEIGHT of the bullet that the .50 can shoot at 3k FPS is impressive, but the velocity figure itself is not IMO. Perception differs per person though a round at a mere 2k FPS would seem blazing fast to one who only shoots black powder weaponry....for example...
Old December 8, 2009, 05:32 PM   #33
A_Gamehog

Why not use a Tank?

Funny stuff....why limit yourself to just a ".50" cal

http://onemansthoughts.wordpress.com...keet-shooting/

Skeet shoot with a Tank!!

Last edited by A_Gamehog; December 9, 2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old December 8, 2009, 05:39 PM   #34
zombieman

I actually saw a guy using one to hunt grizzly bear on the outdoor channel the other day. Made a 500 yard shot on one and dropped it where it stood.
Old December 8, 2009, 06:14 PM   #35
LordofWar

I'm 100% the OP's never hunted in the bush (Africa) or for competitive game like Ibex, Himalyian sheep etc.

There comes a time when you're so fatigued even a side arm starts to weigh a 100 kgs.
Old December 8, 2009, 11:53 PM   #36
Madpipe

50 bmg

That just sounds like a waste of a hunt. to heavy to pack in and then to heavy to pack out.
Old December 9, 2009, 12:44 AM   #37
Swampghost

My new hunting setup.

A Barrett .416 (still supersonic @ 2500 yds.), 12" reflecting telescope (spotting), card table, lawn chair and cooler. Oops, minimum wage guy to fetch.

Now I can get from 50 to 100#s of meat for only about $20K!
Old December 10, 2009, 02:04 AM   #38
rottieman33

My brother has a 50 BMG. Like 1 person said he wouldn't want to lug that around. It is a heavy gun and you need almost double ear protection to shoot it. What I read the bullet doesn't start to drop until after 1800'. Plus it one hell of an expensive bullet to shoot, Last time I shot it the rounds were $50 for 10. There is a couple benefits if the deer is behind a oak tree you shoot threw the tree and and if your hungry you could cook the deer meet with the muzzle flash.
Old December 10, 2009, 06:44 AM   #39
CajunBass

I remember reading I believe in Bud Anderson's (WWII Ace) autobiography that Chuck Yeager was the best shot he ever saw. He said that during training, Yeager would kill antelope for fresh meat for the squadron, with a M/G on his fighter rigged to fire single shots. A ground crew followed in jeeps to pick up the kills.

True or not? I have no idea. Also not sure if the A/C had 50 or 30 cal guns, but IIRC it was a Bell P-39 so I'd guess 50.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 7, 2012, 08:00 PM   #40
Squartus

For the past year I have actually started hunting with my barrett 50cal. I thought to myself hmm.. this $10,000 gun "with scope" that I enjoy to shoot more than any rifle I own seems like it would would cause less pain for the animal. So I decided to try it out.

Now I would agree that going for lung/heart shot would totally mangle say a deer of any size. That being said iv always used neck shots, wastes no meat and very very fast kill (not saying its best way, just what I prefer)
Some say its not sporting to hunt with a 50cal etc, sure its a easier kill but when I set out to hunt my goal is to take down the animal with little to no suffering. And of course to feed myself, which my barrett did with perfection.

Most drop to the ground or simply fall over without ever taking a step, no suffering.
But this is just me, not saying its right or wrong way I have avid respect for any hunter that makes a clean kill no matter the weapon used.
Old August 7, 2012, 08:49 PM   #41
Hansam

Idaho has a weight limit on the gun you can use to hunt with? What idiocy! The way I see it if someone wants to hunt with a 40lb gun let them! Its not my back and shoulder that'll be hurting at the end of the day. Heck I'd bet there's some guys out there with AR rifles that weigh close to 20lbs after all the crap they've bolted on lol!

Wisconsin has no limit on the weight of the gun nor the caliber (well you have to hunt deer with a centerfire cartridge larger than .22 but no max). We also don't have an ammunition capacity limit either when it comes to all hunting aside from waterfowl/migratory birds. I believe that restriction is Federal and not state.

If I wanted to go hunting with a 50BMG that holds 100 rounds and weighs almost 100lbs overall it wouldn't be illegal in WI. I might get more than a few strange looks and maybe a rolling laugh from the local warden but its still not illegal.

Personally I won't be hunting with a .50BMG because I simply just don't want to a) pay for the bugger and the ammo to go in it and b) lug that weight around with me in the woods.

Aside from that I highly doubt it'll cause deer to explode or anything like that when hunting medium to large game. What it WILL do though is most likely kill the target effectively and fairly quickly - so effectively the game may not even know it'd been hit before it dies.

Just a note I DO hunt with a fairly heavy gun - 16lbs with scope and ammo. I use a DPMS LR-308 for my deer hunting. My daughter uses an AR frankengun in .223 although this year I'm going to graduate her to a 6.8SPC. I don't consider either rifle an "assault weapon."
Old August 8, 2012, 08:00 AM   #42
CharlieDeltaJuliet

They make hollow points for hunting. I shoot a 50 monthly and there is NO way I would hunt with it. My 660 gr ball ammo averages about $2.25-2.50 a round, the A-Max's are about $6 a shot. I think the hollowpoints are $5-6 a shot too.
Old August 8, 2012, 03:26 PM   #43
robhof

robhof

I know for a fact that the Wart Hog pilots at England AFB used to take hogs and cattle that roamed near the target areas, as I was a medic in one of their units and got to watch their target shooting from the Clayborne tower. Those were 30mm rounds and the remains looked like ground meat with bone slivers, pigs practically disappeared, except for a smear. It used to knock down their score as the wildlife wasn't counted as hits. Of course this was in the good old days; pre-pita.
Old August 9, 2012, 07:59 AM   #44
Rifleman1776

I watched one of those African hunt shows on TV where a guy used a .50 BMG on an elephant. The elephant was just standing about 50 yards, or less, from the shooter. He had to get on the ground in prone position and use a bi-pod to shoot. Of course, the elephant dropped in it's tracks. Everyone congratulated him on being a great hunter (not IMHO ). Then they walked the 25 yards back to the truck while the natives cut up the animal. Shooting a cow in my pasture would have been more adventursome.
Old August 10, 2012, 11:04 PM   #45
bacardisteve

We used one in Texas on Feral hogs just for fun. I would love to take it to prarie dog town and blast em at long range. All the 22 centerfire guys would be envious especially on a windy day.
Old August 11, 2012, 06:43 AM   #46
MikeGunz

Heres a dear hit with a .50 BMG, pretty devastating. Seems like a waste of meat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsD64KkCBFs
Old August 11, 2012, 07:44 AM   #47
Ricklin

When the debate over gun control gets heated, it's guys like the ones in the above video that I despise. Including them as individuals who's rights I am trying to defend is difficult at best.

And of course they post their "exploits" on you tube.
Old August 11, 2012, 09:13 AM   #48
Edward429451

Who needs to hit a deer with 13K FtLbs? Children playing at doing things out of the ordinary because it's "cool".

I have more respect for the guy who takes a 257 Roberts & a 87 gr bullet after Elk than I do for the guy who takes a 50 cal BMG. Going light with surgical precision is more impressive to me.
Old August 11, 2012, 10:11 AM   #49
Mayor Al

Some of you senior citizen may remember the 'cheap' exotic gun ads in all the magazines back in the 60's...One I have never forgotten was for a SKI/Sled-Runner Finnish anti-tank rifle in 20mm. It looked like a cross between a Bren-Gun and a Boyz Bolt Action. The text had a cartoon image of a Bugs Bunny way out in the distance, with the text saying "Kill that Jackrabbit at 2000 yards, with a hit or even a near miss !".
I recall the ammo going for a dollar a round, but don't recall how much the gun sold for (Mail order coupons in the magazines had the sale prices) .. This would have been in the early 1960's (pre-68 ban)
Old August 11, 2012, 07:18 PM   #50
taylorce1

Zombie thread, nothing like resurrecting a nearly three year dead topic.