The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 27, 2006, 06:22 PM   #1
Jseime

Shotgunners, Help a Rifleman!

Ok I must admit I'm a hunter and a shooter but: eek, I don't even own a shotgun. So, naturally I want one, badly. I've got a couple of questions and i hope you guys can fill me in some.

1. What is a used Ithaca M37 featherweight worth? My cousin has one that he wants to sell me.

2. What is the difference between a Remington model 870 Express super magnum and a Model 870 SPS super magnum (for a goose gun)?

3. Are the cheaper pumps such as a Maverick for example just as good (utility wise not looks) as the more expensive pump actions?
Old October 27, 2006, 06:52 PM   #2
skeeter1

For prices, go check the listings on gunbroker.com If your cousin cuts you a good deal, then get the Ithaca 37. That's a premium pump shotgun. Why no one else didn't go with bottom ejection, I dont know (patent laws, maybe?).

I'm partial to SxS doubles, but if I were looking for a pump gun, the Ithaca 37 would be near the top of my list. Old Winchester model 12s would be right up there, too, but expensive (~$1K range).

From a cursory glance, it looks like the Ithaca 37s are going in the $300-$400 range. Nice shotguns.
Old October 27, 2006, 07:03 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

In order:

1: Price depends entirely on WHICH version, WHEN it was made, WHAT options like ribs, chokes etc it has, and the actual condition.
There are MANY versions of the Model 37 Featherweight.
As a "ball park" figure, a more or less "standard" gun made between the war and the 1980's in excellent condition.... "around" $400.00 US.

2. The Remington SPS is a "Special Purpose" gun and has various camouflage finishes.
Here's Remington's web site for the 870"
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...uns/model_870/
As you'll see, the standard Super-Magnum has a blued finish, where the SPS versions are camo-ed and may have a thumb-hole stock.

3. The cheaper guns like the Maverick are "bottom-of-the-line" super-budget guns made to sell at an absolute rock-bottom price.
The Maverick is assembled in Texas from many parts made in Mexico.
They shoot, and most people have good luck with them as far as reliability goes.

Quality and durability is usually not as good as a better quality gun.
As in all things, you get what you pay for.
Old October 27, 2006, 07:10 PM   #4
Ruger4570

I would agree with the above posts, Depending on finish/condition, guage and age most seem to bring between $300 to $400 around here. It might be that the original Ithaca factory was less than 50 miles from "here" We see lots of used Ithaca's. They were very well made, almost hand fitted and all milled parts. Ithaca's did and still sell for more than many other pump guns, but you are getting top shelf quality. That is one reason I have 2 of them.
By the way,, Brownings pumper is a bottom eject gun too
Old October 28, 2006, 04:37 PM   #5
kozak6

I got my Ithica 37 Featherlight for $250, and it's in damn good shape.