The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 16, 2018, 07:52 AM   #26
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446
If you are shooting a "common" round like 9MM or .40 what is the value of fired brass anyways?
The cost of off-brand 9mm at Walmart these days is around 20 cents per round (plus tax). I can reload for about half that. Ammo is a lot more expensive than that if you buy it at the range. That's the value of fired brass -- it allows you to shoot more for the same money.
Old February 16, 2018, 10:12 AM   #27
zeke

Belong to an indoor range where you are allowed to retrieve your brass to rear of firing line, if you do not become a nuisance. If all the lanes are full, retrieving brass is a sfety concern. When I go there, it is not with brass I need/want to keep.

Also belong to an outdoor range, where one board member wants to make it a rule you must police your own brass. When the range is busy, this would be a safety nightmare. Especially the pistol range.
Old February 16, 2018, 11:15 AM   #28
In The Ten Ring

As always, competition is the key.

Open your own indoor gun range, treat customers the way you'd like to be treated, put him out of business. Expand, repeat, franchise.
Old February 16, 2018, 11:55 AM   #29
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I can reload for about half that.
If you don't value your time.
Old February 16, 2018, 04:40 PM   #30
Jim Watson

If you have the choice of Reloading or picking up some paid overtime, you can afford to buy cheap ammo like 9mm.
Any other value of your time is subjective.
Reload or watch millionaire jocks throw a ball around? You choice.
Old February 16, 2018, 05:00 PM   #31
DaleA

I often think of what the 'ideal' range would look like and this thread and some of the folk that contributed have given me another idea.

As goofy as it might appear I am actually warming up to the idea of having the 'butterfly net' brass catchers on each lane.

They'd be adjustable so you could raise and lower and tilt them and they'd catch some or most of your brass. Win for you as you'd get (most) of your own brass back and win for me shooting in the next lane as I wouldn't have your brass raining down on me.

Maybe even a win for the range as people like keeping their own brass and they wouldn't have to put up with folk scrambling around for their brass while others are shooting.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...aspx?rrec=true

Last edited by DaleA; February 16, 2018 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added the Brownells link
Old February 16, 2018, 08:17 PM   #32
FrankenMauser

Quote:
My time is extremely valuable - especially when doing something that I enjoy, like reloading.

You don't charge by the minute while sitting on the toilet, do you?
Or waiting at the drive-thru window?
Or sitting at a traffic light?
Old February 17, 2018, 07:19 AM   #33
Mike Irwin
Staff

"If you don't value your time."

I've always seen this argument fronted for stuff like reloading.

It's ludicrous.

Your time only has a monetary value if you're paid for it.

Are you paid for spending time with your family?

Are you paid for petting your dog?

Shooting and reloading is, for virtually all of us, a hobby.

By definition, hobbies are consumers of money AND of time.

If you want to allocate your time in different ways, that's one thing...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 17, 2018, 10:13 AM   #34
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
reloading is, for virtually all of us, a hobby.
Then I would expect someone to say something like "I can't have as much fun buying 9mm as I can reloading it" instead of "I'm saving money reloading."
You may not get paid, but there is some trade-off. Some people have rigid income sources that aren't flexible. For me it is very easy to switch 3 hours of reloading to three hours of working, so it is taking away from paid time.
Old February 17, 2018, 10:42 AM   #35
t4terrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
The very good local gun shop, (we have one good one, one chain one and one dump), let on that they are looking at building an indoor range in town sometime soon. I thought, yay, high desert summer temps might be able to shoot in AC, yay! Then he told me that all the brass that hit the floor would belong to him, and they would clean and sell it. As a reloader I just smiled and said, "Man I would have loved to try out your new range, but not with that rule."

I guess I'll just be sweating on the outdoor in July.

Angering customers to make a few extra bucks isn’t good business.

Most customers will leave their brass behind, so the range owner will get plenty.

The rule will lose more business than al little brass will bring.
Old February 17, 2018, 04:08 PM   #36
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Angering customers to make a few extra bucks isn’t good business.
Based on what I see at local indoor ranges, the percentage of reloaders (people picking up brass) is pretty small.

Angering a pretty small percentage of your customers might make sense if the dollar return is sufficient to make up for any loss of business.

It's probably close to a wash for someone shooting one of the really common calibers, but if someone comes in and shoots 200-250 rounds of a less common caliber, the value of the brass they leave is likely more than the range fee they paid.

Or, looking at it from another angle, if a reloader comes in and picks up a hundred cases of less common brass from other shooters in the course of their range visit, plus whatever they shot, that almost certainly cost the range more than they grossed from the reloader's range fee.

If you don't want to leave your brass, go to another range.
Old February 17, 2018, 11:25 PM   #37
kmw1954

I have to cross state lines and go into Illinois for the closest indoor range to me, otherwise it's an hour+ drive depending on traffic. There are 2 ranges in that town, one a newer shop that has only been there a couple years and the other is an old range that is in a basement and has been there for decades. I do believe they are just now on their 4th owners since I've can remember.

The new range is all new "state of the art" lanes, air handlers and always busy. Another where you are not going to be able to pickup your brass very easily. Nice but I don't like that hurry up atmosphere, shoot and leave because someone else is waiting.

The old basement range is just that. OLD. It still has crank and cable target set. Easy though that one crank turn is one yard. Lighting isn't the greatest and the air system could use more filtration but I like it and have been going there since I started shooting. Besides the new owners are very friendly and they are making improvements.

Was there last week just after lunch and was the only one there for about 1.25hrs.
Old February 18, 2018, 04:17 AM   #38
armoredman

Quote:

I value my hobby time. If I wasn't casting and reloading, I would be doing something also recreational, like watching Netflix, reading a book, listening to music, cleaning the garage...wait, scratch that last one.
The one thing I wouldn't be doing is driving in to work, not unless I get called in, then I'm on the clock the second I hang up the phone.
Quote:
Open your own indoor gun range, treat customers the way you'd like to be treated, put him out of business. Expand, repeat, franchise.
I checked with my bank balancer- it said not likely.
I'll keep going to the outdoor range. The city maintains it, keeps it locked after hours, cleans it up and services the porta potty, and also puts money into improvements occasionally. It is also unmonitored and free.
I have a good friend who knows I love to load and shoot, and that friend likes coming out to shoot my guns, so they provide some supplies for me so they can shoot with me without inconveniencing my bank balance...or lack thereof. When that friend is feeling generous, I load a box of 9mm for the cost of the electricity to run the lead pot. But I have to have the brass to do it, and leaving it behind isn't something I like to do.
I will say I did have one unpleasant experience with brass rats coming out and snatching up my brass while I was still shooting. These are NOT reloaders, these are the people who snatch anything brass and sell it to the recyclers.
Old February 18, 2018, 10:00 AM   #39
Don P

Quote:
If you are shooting a "common" round like 9MM or .40 what is the value of fired brass anyways?
Don't know about 40 but 9 mm is going for .03 per round if you shop around. Not a great deal od money but add up 10-20 K of rounds shot during the year and the .03 adds up
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 18, 2018, 01:47 PM   #40
SIGSHR

I value my time, however reloading is like cooking, baking, woodworking, home gunsmithing. You acquire skills, learn how to do it, how to set up, see what you need-and you can make things tailored to what to what you want. You find YOUR pet load-a safe one, of course. I do a small amount of woodworking, I make things that are tailored to MY specifications.
Back to the OP. Again, their range, their rules. Either don't patronize them or stick to 22LR and revolvers.