The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2018, 10:02 AM   #1
Big4Freedom

10mm 200gr xtp powder choice??

I’m looking for a good, all-around powder choice for reloading 10mm 200gr xtp. I currently have lots of win 231 but think that 5gr of it might not be best choice, but there is load data there for that.

My use is for target and occasional carry while traipsing thu my timber. I’ll shoot out of both short and standard sized barrels.

Been reading a lot but wondered if someone could give me a good recipe for a standard, accurate load. Long shot and power pistol seem to have good reviews.

Thanks,
Big
Old February 8, 2018, 10:29 AM   #2
Astocks2622

If you're looking for full power (1200+) Accurate #9, IMR 800x, and Blue Dot are the go to powders. If you're looking for middle of the road power, 231 is fine.
What gun are you shooting it out of?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old February 8, 2018, 05:57 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

Quote:
What gun are you shooting it out of?
That was my first question. I know you mentioned "both short and standard sized barrels." A little more specificity would be helpful.

Quote:
If you're looking for middle of the road power, 231 is fine.
I'm gonna take some issue with that. My load style leans toward fast powders more than most. But W231 is awfully spunky for 10mm with a 200 grain bullet. Yes, you can do it and it can yield some mild ammo. But you're treading in a really spooky forest with the W231/200gn combo. I've loaded AA#2 (ever so slightly slower than W231 IMO) under 180's. It was a good running mild round. But even that combo made me a little nervy; with my 30 years loading experience. Going with an even faster propellant, with an even heavier bullet is concerning to me. Just my opinion.

AA#9 is going to be mentioned a lot (already has). And it's a good way to go. Myself, being a little more fast powder centric, and knowing you mentioned a shorter barrel, I'd recommend AA#7. It won't yield quite the velocity as #9, but it'll give you a less flashy round, and with noticeably less recoil. I would consider it to be a more "balanced" round. But it's a matter of personal preference.

You mentioned Power Pistol. Power Pistol is good stuff. But it is a touch fast for this application. It's a little faster than AA#7, so I think it's stepping out of the circle of "ideal" propellants. Now if you were loading 165's, I'd say it would be a dandy choice. Power Pistol's wheelhouse is 9mm & 40 S&W. It's a little spunky for the big 10.

I don't have experience with Longshot.

I'll finish by saying this: if you're loading 200's, might as well load 'em kind of juicy.
Old February 8, 2018, 06:39 PM   #4
Stats Shooter

Just developed a full power load for my 10mm using 200 gr nosler JHP's and Long Shot. 1250 fps from 5.3" barrel. 3" groups at 50 yards.

800x meters terribly
Blue Dot has big muzzle flash
AA#9 is another good choice
Power Pistol will work too
Old February 8, 2018, 08:22 PM   #5
Brutus

For what it's worth a 180gr. XTP with 13.8gr of AA#9 yielded 1250fps. for 633 ft. lbs. and a power factor of 226 out of a 5" Kimber target II.
Old February 8, 2018, 09:04 PM   #6
Stats Shooter

Check out my 10mm load workup thread from a few weeks back

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593015
Old February 8, 2018, 09:55 PM   #7
oldscot3

Blue Dot.
Old February 8, 2018, 10:19 PM   #8
disseminator

LONGSHOT or vvN105 will do.
Old February 8, 2018, 11:29 PM   #9
Astocks2622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C_S View Post
That was my first question. I know you mentioned "both short and standard sized barrels." A little more specificity would be helpful.

I'm gonna take some issue with that. My load style leans toward fast powders more than most. But W231 is awfully spunky for 10mm with a 200 grain bullet. Yes, you can do it and it can yield some mild ammo. But you're treading in a really spooky forest with the W231/200gn combo. I've loaded AA#2 (ever so slightly slower than W231 IMO) under 180's. It was a good running mild round. But even that combo made me a little nervy; with my 30 years loading experience. Going with an even faster propellant, with an even heavier bullet is concerning to me. Just my opinion.

AA#9 is going to be mentioned a lot (already has). And it's a good way to go. Myself, being a little more fast powder centric, and knowing you mentioned a shorter barrel, I'd recommend AA#7. It won't yield quite the velocity as #9, but it'll give you a less flashy round, and with noticeably less recoil. I would consider it to be a more "balanced" round. But it's a matter of personal preference.

You mentioned Power Pistol. Power Pistol is good stuff. But it is a touch fast for this application. It's a little faster than AA#7, so I think it's stepping out of the circle of "ideal" propellants. Now if you were loading 165's, I'd say it would be a dandy choice. Power Pistol's wheelhouse is 9mm & 40 S&W. It's a little spunky for the big 10.

I don't have experience with Longshot.

I'll finish by saying this: if you're loading 200's, might as well load 'em kind of juicy.
You're right. 231 can get spiky with pressures in this application. However, I have had great success with it for super light loads with a 180gr Xtreme. It's a great first time shooter intro load. I'm shooting a Tanfoglio (EAA Witness) Stock 1, and the combo of a heavy gun, with a nice trigger, and light loads (doesn't even make minor power factor) make an extremely light recoiling combo to into someone to handguns.
Accurate #7 would be a great choice for mid range 200's.
For my hot loads I have used #9 and 800x the most with 200gr hardcast or XTP's. I found the #9 to produce the best velocities with the Beartooth 200 hardcast, and the 800X to work best with the XTP's, easily pushing both to 1250fps or better. I use AA#7 with 155 gr Gold Dot's to get 1450 for around town. These are safe in MY GUN! These aren't loads I'll use in any other 10mm without working them up in that individual firearm.
The powder choice really depends on what kind of performance you want, and how much recoil your willing to take to get there.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old February 8, 2018, 11:58 PM   #10
Northof50

800x rules in the 10mm for heavy loads. For moderate rounds, I like Unique [but I'm biased - Unique is my favorite plinking powder for larger bore handguns.].

But, with that written, why are you looking for an "all-around powder" for a specific bullet? Wouldn't you want the best powder for that particular bullet [particularly an XTP]? The Hornady is an expensive bullet, not like a cast or plated. No disrespect, just seems like an odd question.
Old February 9, 2018, 12:56 AM   #11
Big4Freedom

Thanks for the responses! Very helpful.

In answer to Nick’s question, I’ll shoot out of g29 sf, g20, and sig p220. A motley crew of 10’s, but all good guns.

And, Northof50, I’m using those 200gr xtp’s cause I have several thousand I bought seven or so years back when things were scarce and no other 10mm bullets available, so I wanna try em out. I normally just do fmj’s.
Old February 9, 2018, 01:15 AM   #12
Northof50

Love the XTP - I've gotten 1400+ from the 180's out of my Glock with 800x. Yes, the stuff we accumulate when nothing's available. At least yours is good stuff! I've got some garbage over the years of "shortages." I'd settle on a couple of powders if I was you. It's been my experience that those powders that produce good "strong" loads, don't do very well reduced and those that produce good "plinking" rounds don't do too good when you push them.
Old February 9, 2018, 10:32 AM   #13
Big4Freedom

Sounds like a pretty good idea, North. I’ll grab some small amounts of a couple mentioned and see how they run.
Old February 9, 2018, 03:10 PM   #14
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I’ll shoot out of g29 sf, g20, and sig p220.
I have Glocks 20sf, & 29sf.

Quote:
I’m using 200gr xtp’s cause I have several thousand
Nice problem to have
Old February 9, 2018, 08:53 PM   #15
John D

I use Blue Dot with 180g bullets.....like this powder.
Old February 10, 2018, 06:05 PM   #16
gwpercle

Hornady Reloading Manual 8th Edition, Blue Dot would sure seems to be a good place to start.
The only other powder that can match velocity is AA#9 but it takes nearly twice as much powder to do so.

AA#7 and 800X can't quite match Blue Dots velocity but they should be accurate .

I have found AA#5 to be very accurate in the 41 magnum and 357 magnum and in the
10mm Auto load data it is listed right between 800X and Blue Dot...it would not be a bad choice and might be one of those accurate powders.
In the 357 magnum and 41 magnum the accuracy I got with AA#5 and cast bullets was impressive....small one big ragged hole groups kept showing up....I'm going to work with this one some more.

Gary
Old February 11, 2018, 11:24 AM   #17
Big4Freedom

I actually went with power pistol yesterday. Haven’t tried yet but it was listed in every load data reference manual I researched for 200gr, so that can’t be bad. I began changing dies over yesterday to 10mm but am having feed issues with primer magazine on 550b. So now I gotta get new tip for it before moving on. Ugh.

I had settled in to aa#7 or 800-x when I went to lgs, but neither were in stock so power pistol will be cool I’m sure.

It’s funny, I have lots of bullets but realized, after looking around, that I only have 500 empty cases to load so guess I need to shoot a bunch of my 10mm rounds to free up more cases
Old February 11, 2018, 01:18 PM   #18
Stats Shooter

It really depends on what you want to do.

AA#7 is a little too warm for max velocity 10mm. 800x meters terribly.

Longshot
Power Pistol
Blue Dot
AA#9

Are the powders to use if you intend to use a powder thrower and get higher velocities
Old February 11, 2018, 02:03 PM   #19
Big4Freedom

Sounds good, thank you. Anxious to see how they run.