The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 31, 2018, 04:47 PM   #26
stagpanther

If I'm going to launch balls (somehow that doesn't sound quite right) I'd opt for golf ball launcher.
Old January 31, 2018, 05:19 PM   #27
ed308

OK--so my xx308 project is taken care of--but there's still the AR15 lower calling out. What to do...what to do...

45 VRAP. The gel test says all one needs to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k2edmBTzEo
Old February 1, 2018, 09:17 AM   #28
stagpanther

ed--I did take a long look at the 45 raptor ballistics performance etc--impressive but in the end decided it wasn't worth replicating the equivalent of a big banging lever cartridge in a semi-auto.

For the first time ever I decided to splurge on a scope--I have never spent more then a few hundred bucks on a rifle scope but had some extra stash to spoil myself with, so I ordered a Nightforce SHV 5-20x 56mm Side Focus Rifle Scope!
Old February 1, 2018, 10:03 PM   #29
ed308

Nice scope. Buy one quality scope and you're hooked. Kinda like triggers. I've had mostly Nikon and lower quality Leupolds on my rifles. I purchased a Vortex Razor HD for my Savage 10T .308 bolt and got hooked. Then I saw a Vortex Viper PST 5-25x Gen 1 on close-out for $625 and snapped it up. Hard to look through the glass of the lower quality scopes after see what good glass looks like. Still like my Leupolds. But thinking the Nikons need to be upgraded. I've read the Burris XTR is up there with the NF and higher quality Vortex scopes (Viper and Razor) for quality glass. If I see one of those sale at close-out, I won't hesitate to buy.
Old February 2, 2018, 02:24 AM   #30
stagpanther

My old eyes are deteriorating pretty fast--so better scopes are pretty much going to be a necessity here on out.
Old February 2, 2018, 09:58 PM   #31
ed308

Same here. Your eyes will appreciate the added power and the 56mm size. But if like my Vortex Razor HD, you'll build up muscles in your arms. My Razor is a 35mm tube and weight 35+ ozs. Heavy. But only use it on the bench.