The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 15, 2018, 01:07 AM   #1
marine6680

Trijicon ACOG 1.5x16s TA44 with ACSS Reticle Review

I can't wax lyrical about this optic like others have done. Not that it is bad per se, but it has limitations. Knowing the strengths and weaknesses is key to any optic.

I got this scope because red dot style sights are a bit blurry to me because of a slight astigmatism in both eyes. For that use, it does work. The reticle is clear without artifacts or blurring... Now on to the meat of this subject...

For one... Don't expect a large reticle. The center chevron is 2moa wide. Not very large. This small size is fine on a dot, but being that small, it is hard to make out the shape of the chevron. It mostly just looks like a slightly oblong dot. With good contrast and no reticle illumination bloom, I can just make out the chevron shape. I still can't really make out the point well. With excellent contrast... Basically covering the fiber optic and looking at black on white, the chevron was easiest to see, and fairly clear... Its still small though.

There is a gradient for how well you can see the proper shape of the center chevron... Being a mix of contrast, and reticle illumination bloom.

The small nature of the reticle makes using it as intended a bit difficult. Its hard to zero to the tip of a chevron that looks more like a dot than a point.

I did bias the center of the target near the top of the "dot" and I was able to zero fairly effectively. So using it at 200yds should be workable... But I am not sure that using the bottom of the chevron at 300yds will be effective, as it is harder to make out that part of the aiming point with any definition.

This isn't to say that the reticle is useless, the bullet drop feature is handy, but it does have limitations as outlined above.

If you have difficulty making out the chevron, treating it like a dot will work pretty well. The BDC will be different, but still functional. I calculated, using 55gr 5.56 out of a 16in barrel... That zeroed at 50yds, treating the center aiming point as a simple dot... The first BDC dot would be 350yds and the second would be 450yds. The tip of the chevron would be 100yds, and the bottom 250yds, But those are not likely a concern if you see the chevron as a dot.

If you have perfect vision, then maybe it would be easier to make out the shape of the center chevron. I wear contacts, and unlike when I was younger, they no longer correct to 20/15... So what was said above may not apply to everyone... But I do believe most do not have perfect vision, and may experience some of what I mentioned.

None of this is a negative outright, just good info to know.

This isn't a precision optic... It is designed for quick shooting up close, and still be useful at extended ranges as well. The ACSS reticle in the TA44 is trying to combine a circle dot reticle with a chevron reticle... In an attempt to be more useful than a simple circle dot reticle would be.

A chevron is an attempt to give you a red dot like aiming point up close, but a somewhat fine aiming point for extended ranges. Generally I would think a chevron should be a bit larger, like 6MOA or so. Should make the point easier to see... But that would not work well in this ACSS reticle. Therein lies the limitation... The smaller center aiming point. They leaned closer to a circle dot style than a chevron style with the reticle.

If you want precision get a crosshair reticle... As those allow you to center up on a target more precisely... But if you are getting a 1.5x scope... Precision is not the primary goal. Try a standard chevron/triangle aiming point optic if you really want a fine aiming point in a low power optic.

I don't find the small field of view an issue. Close range with both eyes open is not difficult to do, and at extended ranges, you can see enough. You can still scan with both eyes open at extended ranges, and just close one eye when you want to concentrate on a shot.

Some further points... The glass clarity is excellent. The reticle is sharp and clear, despite the small size and limits mentioned above. ACOG toughness. Small and lightweight. It mounts easily with a QD mount like the ADM mount I am using. Unlike other ACOG models, the eye relief is pretty good at 2.5in. Its also very forgiving, being dead on with your eye at 2.5in is not required. It is still usable with your eye very close, and even several inches back, with not much tunnel vision. The eyebox is also pretty forgiving, especially when you are lined up at the correct 2.5in eye relief point.

Really... going into it knowing the pros and cons, if this optic fits your needs, then go for it.

I also found that the fiber optic reflex sights like the Meprolight M21 and the ones from Trijicon, are nice and clear even with astigmatism... So if having a BDC is not a concern, or you want a true 1x sight... They are great options as well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACOG.jpg (238.2 KB, 8553 views)