The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 13, 2018, 08:40 PM   #1
ReloadKy

Tikka T3X Compact

Does anyone have any firsthand experience of the Tikka T3X Compact model. If so, is it as accurate as other “full size” Tikkas? Any other input is welcome. I am considering one in 308 just fishing for some info if anyone has some. Thanks.
Old March 13, 2018, 08:56 PM   #2
std7mag

Ask Wendyj.
She loves her Tikka's.
Old March 14, 2018, 11:51 AM   #3
T. O'Heir

Accuracy has nothing to do with size. The only issue with a T3X Compact that might matter is the 12.5" LOP. Mind you, it does come with a 30mm(tick more than an inch) spacer.
Old March 14, 2018, 02:15 PM   #4
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
Accuracy has nothing to do with size. The only issue with a T3X Compact that might matter is the 12.5" LOP. Mind you, it does come with a 30mm(tick more than an inch) spacer.
Wouldn't you say sometimes the shorter barrels on compact size rifles compromise the optimal ballistics/accuracy (of certain calibers, perhaps) a little? Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing with your statement, it's just something I've wondered.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old March 14, 2018, 02:31 PM   #5
jmr40

If anything a shorter barrel is more accurate. At least in theory. The stiffer barrel is more accurate. If they are the same diameter, shorter is stiffer. In reality there isn't going to be any measurable difference.

You do give up a tiny bit of velocity. Most bullets remain stable as long as they are supersonic. When they slow and pass through the sound barrier they begin to become unstable. My 18" barreled 308 shoots the same ammo 50 fps slower than my 22" 308's. That means the 22" barrel will remain supersonic out to about 1000 yards, the 18" barrel 20-25 yards less.

Winston Churchill
Old March 14, 2018, 02:35 PM   #6
jmr40

To add:

When shooting with iron sights, the greater the distance between the front and rear sights makes it easier to aim more precisely. The rifles aren't any more accurate, but most shooters will shoot them more accurately. This is one reason why longish barrels were far more common prior to optics.

Winston Churchill
Old March 14, 2018, 05:12 PM   #7
Ricklin

Great point

We tend to think about sight plane only with handguns.

It applies to long guns as well. Optics are all the rage tho, thus the focus on handguns now with regard to sighting plane.
Old March 14, 2018, 07:55 PM   #8
ReloadKy

I guess the reason that I asked about accuracy is because the full size T3X are tagged as being 1 MOA rifles and the compact versions are not.
Old March 17, 2018, 06:06 PM   #9
Wendyj

I wouldn't worry about it being compact. The same barrels on the Sako and Tikkas all roll out of the same place not knowing if they are going on a Sako, Tikka or a compact. The higher end rifles have a few more luxuries to choose from but my Husbands Sako won't outshoot my Tikkas. As Std mag said I'm bias I guess. I've got four Tikkas and they are great rifles. I don't think you will be disappointed at all.