The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 16, 2018, 09:06 PM   #1
wmg1299

Do You Buy Innovative Handguns?

I have made several trips to the LGS to check out new handguns, and have always been interested in new designs and features. However, my last few gun purchases have all been older model or bucket list guns. It seems that even if I go to see the newest generation polymer wonder nine, I am more likely to leave with a 1911 variant or even a revolver. I can't tell if I am just getting older and am less compelled to buy the newest design, or if this is fairly normal buying behavior. Do many of you adopt new firearm technologies immediately?
Old January 16, 2018, 09:12 PM   #2

Well...............I have pretty much all the bases covered with 1911s and revolvers after buying guns for the past 35 years or so.

So, if I am buying something, it very well may be the latest thing out (or something relatively new). It would be something different than what I have been playing with for decades.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old January 16, 2018, 09:27 PM   #3
JERRYS.

I can't afford to be a beta tester.
Old January 16, 2018, 10:15 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Somehow, I can't seem to work up a lot of interest in the latest "wonder nines". For one thing, there is very little real innovation (a differently shaped safety lever is not innovation, IMHO). In some 70 years of gun ownership, I have seen a lot that was billed as new; it rarely was. In that time, the only really innovative and successful handguns were the Ruger and the Glock; today almost everything is nothing more than a variation on the Glock theme, or a slight modification of an old theme (how can makers keep turning out versions of the 1911 and claim they are somehow "new"?).

Jim
Old January 16, 2018, 11:17 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I have Auto Mags, Desert Eagles and a Wildey, which were pretty innovative, but not all successful.

I have zero interest in Glocks or anything like them. They may be innovative, but its not in a direction that interests me.
Old January 16, 2018, 11:32 PM   #6
shootniron

Nope!
Old January 16, 2018, 11:48 PM   #7
ballardw

When funds are available and interested. I have gone so far as to contact out-of-country to see if import was available (once).

Now if I can get a 7.62x25 load to work in a Tokarev barrel on the .22 TCM frame ...
Old January 16, 2018, 11:56 PM   #8
Water-Man

Yes. That's why I own a Sig P320.
Old January 17, 2018, 12:01 AM   #9
shootniron

Quote:
Yes. That's why I own a Sig P320.
Might want to get a Taurus Spectrum to go along with it. IDK
Old January 17, 2018, 12:16 AM   #10
tony pasley

My latest acquired gun is 1884 Hopkins & Allen
Old January 17, 2018, 12:32 AM   #11
BigJimP

No, I don't ...there just isn't much of anything in poly or alloy frame or a new design that I find interesting.

I was interested in Wilson Combats new EDC models...and got to shoot a couple versions of them on their "roadshow" when they came thru my area several moths ago ....but I just didn't like the feel / compared to my traditional 5" Wilsons....so I passed on that too.

I guess I'm of an age finally where I have figured out what I like best....and I stay with them ( I am an unashamed fan of Wilsons 5" guns in 9mm & .45acp / and S&W revolvers in .357 mag, .44 mag & .22 lr ....in K, L & N frames...but I really like the N frames )....so I did buy a pair of S&W 627 perf center revolvers ( N frames, 8 shot ) a few yrs ago.....one in 2 5/8" and one in 5"...and while I do like them...I love my older 27-2 4" Nickel a heck of a lot more !

My Wilson 5" 1911, all stainless, in 9mm ...is my primary training and carry gun / in fact I ran 150 rds thru it this afternoon in tactical drills. If I ever find something I like better than that gun...I may buy something to replace it..../ or not ...because its hard to imagine anything better ...
Old January 17, 2018, 12:51 AM   #12
TruthTellers

No, because not much is being innovated. The Sig P320 may be, but I like muh Glocks more. I find it hilarious, yet sad that I can buy different sized used Glocks for less or the same as those kits for the Sig P320. Actually, I can't find those kits anyway, but I have a pick of the litter among used .40 caliber Glocks.

And they're all guns, so I always have them ready for action, but a bunch of barrels and plastic frames for different occasions... nah.

Ruger coming out with their carbine all but killed any interest in me with the Mechtech uppers. Why spend money on something that requires a lower when the Ruger is a full gun that costs about the same?

That Bond Arms bullpup that was bought from Boberg? I don't trust it. The manufacturing and machining and engineering I have the utmost respect and appreciation for because I've been in that spot before where you're given prints for parts and are told, "make this."

But, the way it functions by pulling cartridges out of the magazine and not pushing them out and up a feed ramp to me screams novelty gun and not to be used for anything serious.

If you ask me, everything Bond makes is a novelty gun, but I digress.

The barrel being a half an inch longer does NOTHING to increase velocities to a significant extent to make it more powerful or effective. Most modern defense ammunition is built to expand and hit its intended velocities out of 3 inch barrels. Going from 3 to 4 inches typically equals an extra 30 fps, but that longer, bigger gun doesn't make it more effective. Maybe a bit easier to hit with because of sight radius, but the Bond Arms Bullpup doesn't add any sight radius either.

The Chiappa Rhino is an interesting design, but it's not an innovative one. What would make me buy one is if it were available in 10mm or .45 Colt. Those in a 2 inch snub with the lower recoil would make excellent carry revolvers. I don't have to worry about reliability or working in the heat of the moment because the revolver design is simple. What keeps me from buying them is they don't exist and if they did, they'd cost 1000 bucks.

Sorry, the Charter Bulldog On Duty is $375 and comes with the best customer service in the biz.

The most innovative gun I would buy would be something multi-caliber, like the M47 Medusa that could fire something like 30 different cartridges. At most all I'd want is .357 Mag, 9mm, .380, and .38 Super.
Old January 17, 2018, 02:05 AM   #13
Water-Man

"Might want to get a Taurus Spectrum to go along with it. IDK"

You're correct. You don't know.
Old January 17, 2018, 04:23 AM   #14
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballardw View Post

Now if I can get a 7.62x25 load to work in a Tokarev barrel on the .22 TCM frame ...
No problem. Just load short to fit the magazine.
Old January 17, 2018, 04:55 AM   #15
mete

My HK P7 was innovative and is the best I have !!
Old January 17, 2018, 05:47 AM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

Nope. Like Jerrys said, "I can't afford to be a beta tester."
Old January 17, 2018, 07:43 AM   #17
Lohman446

No. 2018 is a year I attempt to embrace minimalism by asking myself "do I need this" before making a purchase and also applying it to things I already own (though very slowly). I want to own less things at the end of the year not more. This curbs my desire to purchase the latest and greatest...

For me handguns are a defensive tool. They need to have reasonable accuracy and be reliable. Frankly I am not certain what is going to be gained, for me, by the latest and greatest vs what I already have.
Old January 17, 2018, 08:56 AM   #18
9ballbilly

Not anymore, I went through my "newfangled" phase decades ago and even pretty well finished up my bucket list. Spent the last couple years slowly working my way down to the ones I can't live without. As of now that's two six series .357 Rugers and a Para elite commander 1911 .45acp.

Probably would have kept the Hi-power, but limited finances forced me to sell and trade my way to what I have now.
Old January 17, 2018, 10:26 AM   #19
Charlie98

No. I like military-style weapons, those are usually far from innovative. I like lever-guns... the most innovative of these is my Savage 99 with the rotary mag. I guess the most innovative handgun I have is my Kahrs... and there is really nothing earth-shattering there. In fact, I don't really even load for a 'new and improved' cartridge for myself; I do load 6.5CM for a friend of mine, but my bolt gun is .308.

I did, finally, put a red-dot sight on one of my AR's, though.... OOoooooo!

Come to think of it... I have a Dan Wesson, but by the time I got it, it was a proven design. Like someone else mentioned... I don't like to be a guinea pig.

The only pistol that I've ever wanted, that was considered innovative when it came out, was the aforementioned HK P7. I thought that thing was bad arse in spades when I saw it on the cover of G&A back in the day; since then I've been close to buying one about 5 times, but I've never 'pulled the trigger.'

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old January 17, 2018, 12:02 PM   #20
GarandTd

Not yet, not to say I won't. I think most of the innovations in contemporary firearms lie in the manufacturing process as opposed the firearms themselves. Biggest innovation in my handguns is ambi controls and an integrated accessory rail.
Old January 17, 2018, 12:47 PM   #21
gwpercle

No...I tend to gravitate to tried and true .
Colt 1911 in 45 acp, Ruger Blackhawk - 357 magnum, S&W model 58 - 41 magnum, Walther P38 - 9mm, Winchester model 94. - 30-30 ..

Gee I didn't realize how old school I am...
Gary
Old January 17, 2018, 01:05 PM   #22
Cheapshooter

Quote:
but I like my Glocks more.
Quote:
No, I don't ...there just isn't much of anything in poly or alloy frame or a new design that I find interesting.
So you do like innovative guns. Glock being one of the most innovative.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 17, 2018, 01:17 PM   #23
RickB

Other than changes in manufacturing processes and materials, what real innovations have there been since the 1920s?

I think the double-stack, high-capacity magazine may be the most recent handgun innovation that really has had any impact on the handgun's usefulness as a weapon?
Old January 17, 2018, 01:42 PM   #24
TheGunGeek

Some firearms I consider innovative are:
1. Beretta ARX-100
2. FN PS 90
3. FN Five-Seven
4. Desert Tech MDR
5. Desert Tech SRS
6. FN FS-2000

In the handgun space, other than the Five-Seven I don't really consider the others innovative. Polymer is just a different material. I do like exceptional engineering, have 1 & 2 and plan on adding 5.
Old January 17, 2018, 01:46 PM   #25
Cheapshooter

TheGunGeek, you missed Glock on your list. Not just because of the innovative use of modern materials, but innovative simplicity in design as well.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!