The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 24, 2012, 12:58 AM   #26
jimbob86

Is Vermont an Open Carry state? If so, would you be hassled by LE if you did?

Nebraska has no laws against hunting with suppressors ...... yet you can't have a loaded gun on a snowmobile .... go figure!
Old February 24, 2012, 01:05 AM   #27
hoytinak

There's two things about Texas laws that I don't really like:

1) that we can't use our suppressors for hunting game animals (but we are working on it)
2) the no open carry thing doesn't bother me as I wouldn't personally, but I still thing we should have the right to choose how we want to carry

Last edited by hoytinak; February 24, 2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spellin'
Old February 24, 2012, 08:40 AM   #28
youngunz4life

good points about the silencers, especially the hearing protection & recoil points. Maybe I'll start calling them suppressors for now on.
Old February 24, 2012, 11:44 PM   #29
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I hate to issue a global statement without knowing for a fact...unless I am stating a known fact like CZs are better than Glocks.
Oh, now we're off to the races

Georgia is actually fairly decent. It was certainly a breath of fresh air after leaving Maryland!

We still have bans on carrying in churches, though that might be changed soon in the legislature. Suppressors are banned for hunting, but there's a good chance of getting that changed in the next couple of years as well.

FWIW, "Silencer" was a trademark of Hiram Maxim. I've generally been told it's good form to use the term "suppressor" for that reason, as well as the fact that the device doesn't "silence" the report. That said, I've heard very knowledgeable folks refer to them as silencers, and there's even a manufacturer called Silencerco. So, I guess...go with what works.
Old February 25, 2012, 11:26 AM   #30
m&p45acp10+1

In Texas we prety much have everything except open carry, and no permit carry. It is a bit spendy for the first CHL class, and aplication fee (roughly $200 including class, and aplication fee).

Though no permit required to carry in the car, you can carry in a store that sells alcohol, and in resteraunts. (Provided that they do not have signage stating otherwise.)

I like it here. Now if there was no CHL required to carry concealed I would be in heaven. No more renewal fees, or the price of the class.
Old February 26, 2012, 04:43 PM   #31
armoredman

Thought you'd like that, Tom.

Our mag capacity bill, which removes the restriction on capacity while hunting, just went from the House to the Senate. Be nice to use my vz-58 for pig and such - no 5 round mags down here.
The suppressors while hunting bill made it out House committees and caucus reports, heading to Committee of the whole and then up/down vote before going to the Senate.
One bill makes it that anyone who is lawfully carrying a firearm meets the requirements of the federal 1000 foot rule. That one also has made to the House floor with an expected yes vote. Then our Constitutional Carry will be very much meaningful, no worries about inadvertently violating US Code.
Many more good bills working their way through, including the state guard, renamed to Arizona Special Missions Unit...why? Gah.
Old February 28, 2012, 10:08 AM   #32
WyMark

I'll have to go with Wyoming over Vermont. OC is permitted, no CCW required but shall issue, and my CCW is valid in 36 other states, vs only two for a Vermont resident.

The ONLY thing I don't like about my Wyoming CCW is that the embossed image on the card is of a Glock. Wish they had several other options and let you pick the one you want. Maybe when I renew in 5 years.
Old February 28, 2012, 10:11 AM   #33
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyMark View Post
I'll have to go with Wyoming over Vermont. OC is permitted, no CCW required but shall issue, and my CCW is valid in 36 other states, vs only two for a Vermont resident.

The ONLY thing I don't like about my Wyoming CCW is that the embossed image on the card is of a Glock. Wish they had several other options and let you pick the one you want. Maybe when I renew in 5 years.
I have the slightly older one. I think I have a Smith 5906

Wyoming is very very gun friendly. I went to a pizza hut buffet the other day and there were 3 OCers. No one batted an eye. I was concealing as well. That was a well defended pizza hut.