The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 17, 2011, 12:12 AM   #26
(*_*)

Jimbobs right:
Cost of Living Comparison:
Missoula, Montana - Boston, Massachusetts
www.bestplaces.net
A salary of $50,000 in Missoula, Montana should increase to $67,469 in Boston, Massachusetts

Cost of Living Indexes Missoula Boston
Overall 114 154
Food 109 121
Housing 141 218
Utilities 103 149
Transportation 99 109
Health 106 125
Miscellaneous 103 137
Old December 17, 2011, 12:23 AM   #27
Alaska444

I looked up the MA State Police and applications for out of state carry must take place in person. Shucks, I couldn't even bring the weapon to the state without that, and there is NO guarantee of approval whatsoever. Even shotguns and long guns can get you a visit to the local slammer. Man, that is even worse than CA, my legal state of residence. I wasn't aware of that fact. Quite sad to see the state that gave birth to most of our constitutional rights so far gone. That just flabbergasts me to no end. I thought CA was bad. Boy, was I wrong. NY is even worse!!

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/...pplication.pdf
Old December 17, 2011, 09:18 AM   #28
AH.74

Not only do you have to do it in person, and not only do you have to pay $100 per year, but then you will only likely be given a permit for target/range use only, not for carry purposes.

I have heard that people who have had non-res permits for carry for years have been getting downgraded to non-carry upon renewal. That is just BS.

But at least with that permit you would be good to bring one into the state and have it at a private home.

I will not play into that game. If I ever do go back to visit friends/family it will be unarmed, against my will.
Old December 17, 2011, 09:58 AM   #29
MLeake

I tend to see my relatives from MA and NJ when they come south... Which is too bad, as I like the scenery up there.

Once in a blue moon, I'll head up that way. I leave the guns at home...
Old December 17, 2011, 01:48 PM   #30
Alaska444

Quote:
Today, 06:58 AM #29
MLeake

I tend to see my relatives from MA and NJ when they come south... Which is too bad, as I like the scenery up there.

Once in a blue moon, I'll head up that way. I leave the guns at home...
Looks like that will have to be my choice the next time I go to my mom's house. However, If I drive cross country, there is NO WAY I would go without my side arms, especially since I am legal to CC in most of the states from here to there with ID, UT, NV CCW permits. Getting across NJ and NY state is not a big deal under FOPA. (Just don't STOP) But then going to MA, I am guilty of a felony just for crossing into that state and staying at my mom's house. Good grief!!
Old December 19, 2011, 11:27 PM   #31
Wyoredman

Alaska, not just any felony, one with mandatory sentancing! Don't go there! STAY AWAY FROM MASSACHUSETTS! I HATE THAT STATE!

And I blame the people who live there. They should vote these laws down. It is not anyones' fault but the people who live in the Peoples' Republic of Massachusetts!
Old December 19, 2011, 11:41 PM   #32
Alaska444

Quote:
Today, 08:27 PM #31
Wyoredman

Alaska, not just any felony, one with mandatory sentancing! Don't go there! STAY AWAY FROM MASSACHUSETTS! I HATE THAT STATE!

And I blame the people who live there. They should vote these laws down. It is not anyones' fault but the people who live in the Peoples' Republic of Massachusetts!
Good advice, but it is where my family house is located. Makes for hard choices. Still trying to get my mom to come out to Idaho, but at 80, she does pretty much whatever she wants to do. She loves the Cape and that is the only place she wants to be especially in the summer time.

I must confess that my family is ultra-liberal and is one of the group that keeps propagating the anti-gun atmosphere in that state. They don't understand at all why I own the guns I do nor have any comprehension why anyone would actually carry a gun daily. Sadly, I have had little impact changing their mindset. Since getting my CCW permit in 2009, I don't really feel comfortable going without it anywhere. It is my hope to never need that type of security, but here in CA where I am denied that right outside of my house, it is ironic that it is the place I need it the most.

Looking at MA laws, I would not even be able to keep the gun in my Mom's house or on her property which I can at least do here in CA. I though CA laws were terrible. I had no idea that MA was another step above that. Incredibly, MA was one of the most involved states in giving us our freedoms in the first place. Paul Revere and his comrades must be turning over in their graves over the state of affairs in MA at present.
Old January 4, 2012, 04:48 PM   #33
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Looks like that will have to be my choice the next time I go to my mom's house. However, If I drive cross country, there is NO WAY I would go without my side arms, especially since I am legal to CC in most of the states from here to there with ID, UT, NV CCW permits. Getting across NJ and NY state is not a big deal under FOPA. (Just don't STOP) But then going to MA, I am guilty of a felony just for crossing into that state and staying at my mom's house. Good grief!!
Fortunately, Massachusetts is bordered on the south by Connecticut and on the north by Vermont and New Hampshire. You can get a non-resident carry permit in CT that actually allows you to carry, and the permit is not needed to possess a handgun in a residence (but it is necessary to transport in a vehicle). Vermont, of course, doesn't require any permit to carry, and I read just yesterday that New Hampshire may be the fourth state to go that route.

So you could hunker down just across the border and reunite with family in somewhat more gun-friendly environs.

What I find inexplicable is that the Massachusetts state constitution is one of the very few that specifically ties the RKBA to the defense of the state. No individual RKBA in the birthplace of the American Revolution. Now, if MA will just get the memo about Heller and McDonald, maybe things will get better.
Old January 8, 2012, 12:01 PM   #34
mpd61

Residence

If you take up residence in Mass, you can bring that Model 19-3 in with you as your property. As a resident, you then apply for a Mass LTC fireams...

This is where you may get all gummed up. If the town you move to is gun-friendly, you'll be OK. If you move to Boston or a town like Newton, you'll probably not get the licence...Then you're screwed...

Easiest thing to do if you must move to Mass is leave guns in MT and then IF you get the licence, bring it on in as your legal property.
Old January 8, 2012, 03:48 PM   #35
hermannr

IMHO, the best thing is: just don't go to MA, MD, NY, NJ or CA for any reason at all. That said, my inlaws all live in NYS, and I realize that family concerns can make things difficult.
Old January 8, 2012, 09:18 PM   #36
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
That's very easy to say for someone who doesn't live there.
Old January 8, 2012, 11:38 PM   #37
MLeake

I still have family there, Tom Servo. A mix of military and LE among them. They are in the political minority, but RKBA types do exist in MA.

But my relatives can come visit me in MO, as I generally avoid MA, and NJ, where I also have family...
Old February 5, 2012, 04:14 PM   #38
Dirtylion27

I have somewhat of a similar question regarding mass laws. I am a Colorado resident and own a browning shotgun which I plan to bring out over the summer. I think that I am allowed to do this because I am the legal owner of the gun but I was just wondering if I would run into any complications while transporting in my vehicle or any other times.
Old February 5, 2012, 04:25 PM   #39
Salmoneye

I live in VT and will NOT cross the deep water line to New York with a weapon, and I will not go to MA at all...
Old February 5, 2012, 04:42 PM   #40
Sparks1957

It's Kennedy family territory, and they'll never forget that JFK and RFK were both shot to death.

Reading Handgunlaw.US, I would never move there. I went to college in Boston for 5 years and had my fill of the place.

After you've lived in VT with its sensible gun laws, both MA and NY (and Canada too) seem like places to avoid.

Last edited by Sparks1957; February 5, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old February 5, 2012, 06:01 PM   #41
m&p45acp10+1

After reading all of the post here I have one thing to say

God Bless Texas

I doubt I would move from here for any reason. Though my family has lived in this state since the early 1800's. I have family in other states, though none in the crazy gun law states. Oh yea it is becasue they would not live in any of them.

For those that are unfortuanate enough to be stuck with moving to one of those places, or worse yet that live there and for any number of reasons are unable to leave. I keep voting against those that are in favor of keeping, or passing laws that infrige on the rights of the lawful majority, as punishment for the acts of those that do not care about the law at all.
Old February 6, 2012, 08:55 AM   #42
AH.74

Quote:
I have somewhat of a similar question regarding mass laws. I am a Colorado resident and own a browning shotgun which I plan to bring out over the summer. I think that I am allowed to do this because I am the legal owner of the gun but I was just wondering if I would run into any complications while transporting in my vehicle or any other times.
Go to handgunlaw.us and read the MA file very carefully.

It would seem that without a MA license you cannot possess at all in your vehicle.

Look at the CO file also to see that there are some states along the way that will not honor a CO license, if you have one.

Read the files for all the states you will be going through, to make sure you are in compliance with their laws.

This is a serious matter- you must know for sure, not just "think" you know. A mistake could land you in jail and cause problems for the rest of your life.
Old February 6, 2012, 09:02 AM   #43
Sparks1957

Quote:
It would seem that without a MA license you cannot possess at all in your vehicle.
That's my understanding of it; I don't think it is safe to drive through MA on your way to anywhere else with a firearm in your car unless you have a permit.
Old February 6, 2012, 12:48 PM   #44
Chris_B

Quote:
Sir, I take offense to that.

What you are saying is that as an individual, it is my duty to take repsonsibility for how others vote.

My vote counts as one vote. Just as yours does. I will not be held responsible for the actions of others. That's not how things work.

My advice to you is to remember that the first rule in getting along with others is to afford them a small amount of courtesy. Have a nice day.
Old February 6, 2012, 01:31 PM   #45
Wyoredman

-DELETED-

Last edited by Wyoredman; February 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old February 6, 2012, 05:40 PM   #46
AH.74

Quote:
And what courtesy is afforded those from other states that are sent to prison in MA for having a firearm? None! Courtesy is as Courtesy does.
What on earth is your point?

If someone from another state is going to be so irresponsible as to not know the MA laws and bring firearms there, and then get arrested for doing so, who's fault is it but their own?

You HAVE heard of the recent cases in NY of people doing this exact thing, haven't you?
Old February 6, 2012, 06:42 PM   #47
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
And what courtesy is afforded those from other states that are sent to prison in MA for having a firearm? None! Courtesy is as Courtesy does.
As Chris eloquently pointed out, as did I in my warning several posts up, it is unfair to broadly criticize the citizens of a state for laws that existed before they were around to stop them, and for which there isn't enough clout for repeal at the moment.

Yes, their laws are unfair and (likely) unconstitutional. That doesn't make it the fault of every man, woman, and child that lives there.
Old February 6, 2012, 09:51 PM   #48
Wyoredman

As has been pointed out to me in no uncertain terms, I have errored by broadly criticizing the citizens of MA for the current anti-fireamrs climate of that state.

First and foremost, we are ALL Americans and I respect and understand that the individual is NOT in a position to exact change by themselves.

I have let my personal experience cloud my better judgement in my previous post. I would offer my apologies to those that my blanket staments have offended.

Once again, I do apologize.
Old February 6, 2012, 10:22 PM   #49
greeniron

I live in MA, so I know what its like, it sucks. There are actually 2 rosters in the state and the firearm has to be on both, not just one in order to possess. And unless I am mistaken if the gun in question is on the roster(s) the only way it can be brought in State is if it was built and registered in MA before the 98 MA AW gun ban went into effect. I am not 100%, but you can look on the website http://www.fsguns.com, Its a great little gun shop and the website has a very good list of MA compliant guns as well as info on the MA laws.
Old February 13, 2012, 01:37 AM   #50
got ammo?

I'd take greenirons advice on that one. Four seasons guns staff are some helpful folks, and that bane to my existance, the Massachusetts AG's "aprroved list" is on their website.

I too am in the more rural western side of the state, and agree with what some posters say here; It really is about the individual town's police dept. I happen to live in a town with a pretty easy going but tiny police force. But also, like many others say, the gun laws are so convoluted here even some LEOs cannot give a straight answer on what is or isn't legal.