The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 21, 2010, 06:05 AM   #1
publius42

Brian Aitken in New Jersey prison for legal firearms

This story raises more questions than it answers, but here goes. What is going on here?

how-can-new-jersey-imprison-a-gun-owner-who-broke-no-laws

Judge Napolitano weighs in.

Seems pretty outrageous, if true, but there is little discussion of this case anywhere. Anyone know more?
Old October 21, 2010, 07:30 AM   #2
geetarman

Very disturbing to say the least.

Geetarman
Old October 21, 2010, 07:54 AM   #3
JWT

I would think his 'conviction' would be overturned in appeal assuming the facts in the article are correct. Unfortunately it will cost him money to pursue his innocence.
Old October 21, 2010, 09:30 AM   #4
A/C Guy

Another reason to not live in a state that restricts your rights and freedoms.

Not only will I never live in such a state, abuses like this by the state is a major deciding factor when I purchase stuff. Vote with your dollars. Don't vacation in those states, don't buy stuff manufactured in those states. And most importantly, don't live there.
Old October 21, 2010, 04:07 PM   #5
markj

When someones mom calls 911 and says she thinks her son may commit suicide and has a trunk full of guns........ What would you do if an LEO? it just kept getting worse for this guy. I hope it ends well for him but I doubt it will.
Old October 21, 2010, 06:48 PM   #6
publius42

I'd think an LEO would want to stabilize the situation, in general. Specifically, that would mean verifying the legality of the firearms, especially in a place like New Jersey. So I can see why the LEOs would ask where they were and ask him to open the trunk so they could look at them.

There is little and conflicting evidence of what really happened beyond that, which is one reason I posted this thread.

He says he was moving, had asked how to bring his guns into the state, and was in the process of doing so legally, meanwhile storing them in a legal manner in the trunk. At least that is what I think he says.

The state apparently says he had illegal unregistered guns and has to go to jail for 7 years. The judge apparently would not let the jury hear about an exemption that would cover him. The jury apparently knew enough about that exemption to beg to hear it. He refused, in an apparent outrageous abuse of power, basically sentencing a man to 7 years for legally possessed guns.

Apparently. What the heck really happened here?
Old October 21, 2010, 08:13 PM   #7
silentargus

This being NJ we're talking about, nothing would surprise me. This judge refused to allow the jury to see the whole picture, effectively convicting a man based on his own opinion. It's a particularly egregious example of antis in positions of power abusing that power to enforce their opinions... it's not unheard of for some police departments to refuse to issue FPID cards or handgun purchase permits as a matter of department policy. The NJ state police have an unwritten but well-known "confiscate first, ask questions never" policy regarding guns in cars, even when they're legally owned and transported (common wisdom around here is to bring all paperwork everywhere whenever transporting guns or ammo).

If the guns in question weren't registered in NJ (which is not a legal requirement if they were owned before you move to the state), it would hardly surprise me if the cops who made the arrest and confiscation just didn't know any better- the powers that be have never gone out of their way to discourage the belief that a gun must be illegal unless it's got NJ paperwork. That, I'm assuming, is the exemption in question.

What's surprising is that the case and conviction weren't tossed the moment it came to light that there was judicial misconduct... especially since the judge was later canned for misconduct in a different trial. I would hope that the case is at least under review and will be dismissed eventually, but this being the DPRNJ... it's entirely possible that those responsible for looking into the matter might be intentionally dragging their heels.

Truly, it is not easy to own guns in this state. We may have a 2A-friendly governor now, but the legislature, judiciary, and many of our PDs and local officials (though thankfully not our boys in blue!) are still heavily anti.
Old October 22, 2010, 04:24 AM   #8
IZZY

Is the NRA offering assistance???

I dont see it here:
http://www.nradefensefund.org/litigation.aspx#Jersey
Old October 22, 2010, 04:50 AM   #9
MLeake

So, don't just talk about it here....

NJ members, write your congressfolk, AG, and governor.

NRA members, write the NRA.

Copy of the email I just sent to the NRA (subject was Brian Aitken case in New Jersey):

Quote:
Dear NRA legal crew,

As a Life member, I'd like to know why this case isn't on the NRA's current litigation list for New Jersey. It appears to have been an egregious abuse of power by the trial judge, denying the defense the right to have exemptions that pertained in the case read to the jury. Now a man is facing seven years in prison, although based on those exemptions he had committed no crime.

This seems like exactly the sort of case the NRA should not only be taking up, but trumpeting to the heavens.

Regards,
Old October 22, 2010, 05:09 AM   #10
Mr Lucky

There may be more to this. It would be interesting to see the court documents.

Nice jury though, a real stand up bunch.

They are not a jury of his peers.

His lawyer must have been some clown he found in the yellow pages or an anti gun public defender.

— Abraham Lincoln
Old October 22, 2010, 06:16 AM   #11
publius42

Thanks for your suggestion, MLeake.

This guy needs to get a pardon from the governor, but that's not going to happen based on the vague story we know so far.

When we know the whole story, some of us may think it does not need to happen at all.
Old October 22, 2010, 06:39 AM   #12
MLeake

publius42...

... your pessimism may be well-founded. There may be more to it.

But even if there is, the judge's instructions to the jury probably merit a re-trial.
Old October 22, 2010, 08:55 AM   #13
MLeake

Response from NRA already...

.. as follows:

Quote:
The NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund provided a grant of $7,500 to a criminal case involving a Brian D. Aitken in New Jersey.
They didn't provide any more detail than that, so I don't know when they made the grant, nor if they are doing anything else.

But it's a start.
Old October 22, 2010, 11:57 AM   #14
leadcounsel

I haven't read it yet, but it seems outrageous to imprison someone for a felony for merely possessing an object that is perfectly legal to possess in most other places in the country.
Old October 22, 2010, 12:10 PM   #15
Wildalaska

Since no one here has even mentioned whether this matter was terminated by entry of a plea of guilty or after trial, since no one here has apparently studied the actual proceedings, isnt it sort of silly to get all worked up about this situation?

Question to Jersyites screeching about corruption...did ya'll get worked up about Hurricane Carter?

NB: If this guy is so innocent and the whole proceedings such a farce, why hasnt he been released on bail pending appeal? Or is the entire Jersey judicial system corrupt

WildjustanothercriminalwhinerAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old October 22, 2010, 12:33 PM   #16
publius42

Wild, if you read the various reports, it seems there WAS a trial, the jury three times asked the judge to tell them the law exempting people who are moving into Jersey from registration, and he refused, so they voted guilty, not knowing much about jury nullification, it seems.

Apparently. It seems. I'd really like to see some evidence of what really happened.
Old October 22, 2010, 12:42 PM   #17
leadcounsel

Skimmed it. Seems it was a jury trial. Judge refused to answer juries 3 requests for mitigating/lawful ownership/transportation law question. Jury followed the (incomplete) law they had and found him guilty.

Does amaze me that a jury would follow, in good conscience, a bad law (despite being ordered to do so). Seems at least ONE person would refuse.
Old October 22, 2010, 12:54 PM   #18
publius42

I'm thinking we might need to carpet-bomb NJ courthouses with pamphlets from http://www.fija.org
Old October 22, 2010, 01:22 PM   #19
Wildalaska

Ok so now we have some facts we can assume from. So time for your morning lesson in gneral trial procedure. Jury trial. Defense asks for a charge (instruction) on the law to the jury, that charge being how the defense sees the case. The prosecution asks for their charge, how they see the case. The judge charges (instructs) based on those requests, in this case leaving out the defense requests. I doubt that the jury asked for something outside the charge given by the Court (their function is to apply the law as given), rather they would ask for clarification of the law, the defense again could have been rebuffed in its attempt to get their specific language in.

That by the way is how you build a record on appeal which in criminal defense terms means you throw EVERYTHING, justified, or not in there.

Why did the Court not charge the way the defense asked? Ignorance, idiocy or corruption?...or that there was no factual basis for the requested charge! All are possible, and we havent seen the trial transcript.

So now the guy is in jail and Im sure that he is raising on appeal the error in denying the defense charge.

But now I ask, if it was such an error, why isnt out on bail pending appeal?

WildistheremoreherethatnweseeAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old October 22, 2010, 02:41 PM   #20
DogoDon

I was able to find this document on the web, purportedly coming from Mr. Aitken's defense attorney. Can't vouch for its validity, folks, but here it is:

http://briandaitken.com/content/2010...aryofFacts.pdf
Old October 22, 2010, 03:04 PM   #21
publius42

Wow, did a 5 year old scan that for him? This guy is in the tech/marketing world?

His attorney makes the judge sound unreasonable, but that is his job.
Old October 22, 2010, 06:50 PM   #22
Mr Lucky

Brian Aitken

Not much more here. Since it appears his case is being appealed, the court transcripts might not be available although they do show up in several pay record search databases.

http://www.the-912-project.com/2009/...ars-in-prison/

http://www.the-912-project.com/2009/...v-brian-aitken

http://briandaitken.com/

— Abraham Lincoln
Old October 22, 2010, 08:23 PM   #23
wally626

Read the PDF listed by DogoDan, most of the defense for possession seemed to be based on lawful transportation issues. However, the listed defense for the hi-cap magazines was that the police never tested the guns to see if the magazines could actually fire 15-rounds, not just hold them. This part seems pretty weak.
Old October 22, 2010, 09:24 PM   #24
Gary L. Griffiths

There well may be more than meets the eye in this case. It appears that Aitken stopped to visit his parents at their home while enroute from his old house to his new one. The FOPA requires the trip be made directly with only such stops as are reasonably necessary.

If that is the case, then the FOPA requirements weren't met, and the judge would have been right in refusing to allow the defense to put up an FOPA defense.

Mind you, I don't agree with NJ's prosecuting Mr. Aitken (or much else that NJ does), but this may not have been so outrageous.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old October 23, 2010, 01:41 AM   #25
publius42

Wally, I don't buy that either. I suspect that for most of us, the various gun bits we have around the house work together like you would think they would. Yes, that silly 30 round mag will fit in my Glock and feed about 25 rounds before it jams because the spring is old.

Gary, that's getting pretty picky and anti-family in the interpretation of the FOPA, don't you think? I think the idea of the law is that you can't move from Florida to Louisiana with a detour through Maine. In any case, the defense claim is that New Jersey law also has a transportation exemption that covers Mr. Aitken.