The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 14, 2009, 03:44 PM   #1
mac266

Bullet Casters: Need help finding load data

I'm in the beginning stages of reloading for my M1 Garand, and I bought the new Hornady manual because of its special M1 Garand data. However, as a fairly new bullet caster I'd like to try casting and loading a few of my own for the ol' M1. Everything in the Hornady book is jacketed.

I found a 130 grain spitzer bullet mould (gas check of course, I don't think you could ever shoot a .30-06 with a lead bullet that wasn't, even in the comparatively light M1 loads). I think the lighter bullet will be easy on the operating rod; at least that's what CMP says (they recommend 150 grain or less). However, I'm having difficulty finding load data.

Can anyone tell me where to find 30-06 load data for cast bullets?

Last edited by mac266; October 14, 2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old October 14, 2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Rusty W

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
These guys know their stuff. A lot of information there in casting. I have no experiance with the M1 myself. Good luck.
Old October 17, 2009, 01:40 AM   #3
blu97

Casting for M1

Have been using a LEE TL mold with wheel weights that weigh 165 grn .311 sized to .309 using a gas check with 35grns IMR 4895, it cycles the action and doesn't lead the barrel.
Old October 18, 2009, 12:01 PM   #4
MADISON

Help find loads

These 2 items may help:
Lee has a SHOOTER Program out for about $15 that allows you to down load
calibers, using your original powder.
LYMAN has a Cast Book out.
Old October 19, 2009, 10:34 AM   #5
AlaskaMike

Cast bullets in the M1 require a completely different mindset than jacketed bullets. Many load requirements for jacketed bullets in the M1 are out the window when you use cast.

Normally, with jacketed bullets you never want to use bullets heavier than about 180 grains, but with cast bullets heavier is actually better. Also, with jacketed you generally want to stick to powders with burn rates close to 4895--certainly nothing as slow as 4350 or 4831. However, with cast and associated slower velocities, 4350 and 4831 work extremely well.

The key to understanding how all this works is that the reason slow powders and heavy bullets can damage the M1 is because they both tend to raise pressures at the gas port. Gas port pressure is a totally different thing from chamber pressure. Cast lead bullets pass through the bore with much less friction than jacketed bullets, and they seem to be at their best when velocity is kept to less than about 2000 - 2200 fps (although there are certainly exceptions to this). For both these reasons we don't need as much chamber pressure to achieve our velocity goal, so we drop the powder charge. Now with a powder like 4895 the gas port pressure is too low to operate the action. To raise the port pressure we go with heavier bullets and slower powders.

You want to start with a load that will almost operate the action but not quite, and slowly increase the charge to where it operates the action reliably. With H4350 in my M1 (and note that your rifle may act slightly different), this starting charge that almost operates the action is about 35 grains with a 180 grain bullet (Lyman 311332 is what I use). Fillers such as kapok, dacron, or tissue paper may be helpful here, although I've never personally used them.

The Cast Boolit site that Rusty mentioned in his post is absolute gold. In the "CB Loads / Military Rifles" forum you'll find a bunch of great stuff on this topic. Specifically, look for posts from BobS and BruceB.

Good luck,
Mike