The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 11, 2018, 12:10 AM   #1
Prothe2nd

Scoping my K98

I'm trying to scope my 1944 K98 Mauser. Now let me explain my problem. It had holes drilled prior to my owning it. One set of holes is right above the chamber. But the second set of holes (nearest to the bolt handle) weren't drilled facing up. They were drilled on the right side just ahead of the bolt handle. So does a Mauser scope mount/rail system exist that attaches in the way I described, or am I going to have to have a gunsmith make something costume, or just have another two holes drilled facing up where they should be? And secondary question: what would be a good quality scope for a K98 in a $200 range?
Old March 11, 2018, 12:36 AM   #2
RC20

Someone had a peep sight on it at a guess.

You can try and see what SKS has for a non intrusive scope mount (they sit a bit high but bench shoot ok)

Under $200 - get a Cabellas, you can keep taking it back if it breaks.

Solid scope would be a Redfield Revolution (US made) heavy cross hairs, more hunting than target but solid. Around $200, on sale sometimes.

Anything else is a crap shoot for quality as well as longevity.
Old March 11, 2018, 06:10 AM   #3
hooligan1

It's easier to pick up an Instamount from SnK, and remove rear sight and mount this base there.
It will require a scout type long eye relief, and decent ones can be had under 300.00. The mount itself requires no further Gunsmithing and cost under 80.00.
Old March 11, 2018, 07:54 AM   #4
Road_Clam

I went a different route. Keep in mind the biggest problem will be bolt handle clearance when you open. I welded 2 Leupold mounts stacked, then drilled and tapped the receiver for the mount. The Mauser actions are through hardened so you will need carbide tooling to drill and tap. You can do it with high speed steel tooling BUT be warned it's a major PIA. You will definitely need a cheek pad with this setup.

When I bought my Yugo K98 used it had this ATI clamp on mount :

https://www.atioutdoors.com/mauser-m98-scope-mount

I didn't like the design, plus the fact if you use this type mount you will need to remove material from the wood stock for clearance.
Old March 11, 2018, 12:06 PM   #5
stolivar

That looks a ,ot like my setup

Steve