The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 30, 2001, 03:07 PM   #1
RHC

So you guys helped me figure out how to disassemble my Springfield, which is my first 1911. Next step: where do I lube it? Normally I try to lube just where metal meets metal, like the rails. How much and where?
Old May 30, 2001, 09:03 PM   #2
Jim V

1911 lube

I put a couple drops of oil on the rails, wipe some oil on the barrel, a drop down each side of the hammer and one drop around the disconnector. I prefer to use grease on the rails however.
Old May 30, 2001, 11:02 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Don't forget to lube the barrel lug as well.

Functionally, you probably can't over lube a gun, but it can produce some nasty stains on your clothing, face (when firing sometimes) and such.

As for how much, really you don't need much at all, usually no more than a drop at each location and a bead down each rail should be sufficient. When you re-assemble the gun, work the slide several times, wipe any excess, and you should be good to go.

Keep in mind that for summer carry, you probably need to relube your gun once a week if you are outside very much. Many of the lighter oils dissapate with the heat. In winter time, you may want to avoid grease as grease can become thicker with colder temps and adversely affect the functioning of your gun.

One advantage of grease for summer carry is that you won't see any lube draining out the end of your gun and staining your holster like you will with oil if you get too much on it.

I have become a fan of lithium-based grease because it lubes well and I have not had problems with the gun running dry even after carrying the gun for an entire week and shooting 500 rounds. I have not been that lucky with oils.
Old May 31, 2001, 06:54 PM   #4
drcohen

lube

Try a PTFE based grease, try the best , TW-25B.