The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 2, 2016, 10:48 AM   #1
bspillman

Quaility difference in a Savage vs Charles daly

Trying to decide between these two. The only difference is that the CD will shoot 3 1/2 inch shells. These will be used for all types of sport shooting and hunting. I have other shotguns. So I'm just interested in these two. Thanks.
Old January 2, 2016, 02:27 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The use of 3 1/2 shells is important only if you want to shoot those shells. If you do, you have made the choice.

You don't say what kind of gun. I do not have a lot of good things to say about the Savage double guns. They were made to a price and often give trouble. But when they do work, they are reliable and rugged. In other words, there is little in-between; they work OK or they don't work.

The problem with Charles Daly is that it is not a manufacturer, it is a trade mark, and CD guns have been made by many makers, mostly foreign, over the years, so the guns can range from quite decent to near-junk. Worse, the importer at any given time might or might not offer support or honor warranties on guns imported by previous companies.

Jim
Old January 2, 2016, 03:42 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

I'm pretty sure Savage didn't make the double guns either. I think they were made in Turkey. You are correct about one thing though, they aren't very well made. I'd pass on both Charles Daly and Savage on a double gun. They are both just plain poor quality firearms. Spend the money on a good used "brand name" gun actually made by the manufacturer selling the gun.
Old January 4, 2016, 04:38 PM   #4
glenncal1

The Charles Daly's made in Japan are good guns, Go to shotgunworld.com for lots of info/opinions

Many K and N Frames
Old January 4, 2016, 05:02 PM   #5
Ricklin

B4 Japan was even better!

Back in the day Charles Daly meant high quality. That day is long gone. Charles Daly was not a manufacturer, they were an importer as near as I can tell.

The name goes back many many years. It's only in the last twenty or so years that Charles Daly became a purveyor of low end inexpensive guns.

It's just a name, but back in the day it was a good one. Today......not so much. My last CD gun came to me with a lifetime warranty. Note a lifetime warranty is the lifetime of the company, not yours. That iteration of the Charles Daly company (KBI) actually went away (along with my warranty) while my gun was being shipped to my dealer. I chose to keep the gun, and it gave no issues.

I did sell it after a couple of years and did not take a hit.
Old January 4, 2016, 05:30 PM   #6
bspillman

My CD was made in Turkey. Im assumeing by Akkar. It seems to be well made but I have no experience with them. It functions extremely smooth and the trigger is surprisingly good.
Old January 4, 2016, 06:41 PM   #7
FITASC

Quote:
The name goes back many many years. It's only in the last twenty or so years that Charles Daly became a purveyor of low end inexpensive guns.
Put "Weatherby" in for CD and the result is the same.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 4, 2016, 08:36 PM   #8
243winxb

charles daly made by miroku in Japan became Browning Citori years ago. Fixed chokes, so they don't bring a lot of money http://www.browning.com/library/info...ail.asp?id=511

Last edited by 243winxb; January 4, 2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old January 4, 2016, 09:46 PM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
poised to lead the world in the new concepts of innovation and total quality management lead by the teachings of the legendary W. Edward Deming. By the 1960s Deming was already considered something of a hero in Japan and his influence upon the success of all Japanese manufacturing has been proven by history.
And to think US manufacturers thought Deming was a nut when in fact it was because of his teachings, Japanese things went from being called "Jap Crap" to things of the highest quality.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 4, 2016, 11:19 PM   #10
bspillman

Yea mine was made by Akkar. It's the Maxi Mag Field model in 12 gauge. Pump not semi auto. I put a few shells through it today and it shot fine. Hopefully it hangs in there. It's a really smooth gun.