The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 3, 2021, 08:35 PM   #1
Gulfcowboy

What kind of gun do you carry while on horse back.

I've been doing a fair bit of horse back riding lately, and Ive been considering doing some long trail riding. Being that alot of horse trails are in remote areas id probably want to take a firearm. I was wondering if anyone here carrys while horse back riding. If so, what do you carry. I'd probably end up carry my marlin 336 in 30-30, or maybe a handgun. Some handgun options I had in mind are s&w 686 4in, cimmeron frontier 45colt 4in, or a comander 1911.The horse im riding is gun broke. Thought I'd mention that as well.Thanks for any input given.
Old February 3, 2021, 09:59 PM   #2
Hawg

It's been a long time since I owned horses but most of the times I carried a gun it was a 30-30 Winchester. As far as handguns goes it was whatever I felt like carrying that I had a cross draw holster for.
Old February 4, 2021, 02:22 PM   #3
Pistoler0

On my steel horse (Suzuki) I carry my Glock, concealed shoulder carry. Too uncomfortable for appendix (although I've carried in a belly band while riding a bicycle).

But shoulder carry would work for concealing that 1911 on horse-back, no? (provided you want to hide it).

I shudder at the thought of AIWB on horse back!

Last edited by Pistoler0; February 4, 2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old February 4, 2021, 02:54 PM   #4
rc

686 in a good holster sounds like a good choice unless you want to hunt. Then go with the rifle.
Old February 4, 2021, 07:29 PM   #5
44 Dave

Use to carry '73 Winchester in my scabbard 7 1/2" colt in cross draw flap holster. Some times we squirrel hunted with sxs shot guns, the horses didn't mind the b.p. muzzle loading shot guns.
Old February 4, 2021, 09:37 PM   #6
STORM2

I wish I needed to make that decision. I’m envious but glad I don’t have the critter cost. Remember if it flys, floats, or ...well you know, rent it.
Old February 7, 2021, 08:46 PM   #7
mulespurs

My choice

I like my ruger blackhawk flattop 45 convertible in 45 acp.

Safe for me and effective, and it looks traditional.
Old February 8, 2021, 07:50 AM   #8
eastbank

A GOOD SHOULDER HOLESTER, with a four inch 624 in 44 spl in it.
Old February 9, 2021, 02:40 AM   #9
5whiskey

NMA in a cross draw. Or a ‘51 navy. These are fine horse pistols.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old February 9, 2021, 06:49 AM   #10
eflyguy

No reply in a week, so thinking more trolling, but...

What threat are you looking to defend against? As you're in South Texas, I'm thinking drug or human trafficking? In that case, I'd probably choose a 5.56 or similar semi-auto with a bright reflex sight.

If wildlife, I don't think you get bear down there? You won't see a cat until it's almost on you, so a hefty pistol at chest height would be my choice. A pretty 1911 if you like showing it off at the barn, or a more practical, larger capacity, modern version if you're into function.
Old February 10, 2021, 11:21 AM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Shoulder holster. Easier on the hip and when you have to squat, you're piece is in the same place.

BTW, I don't have a horse. Chasseur a pied here.
Old February 10, 2021, 02:20 PM   #12
reinert

I would imagine if you're only talking about riding in Texas, a 30-30 might be all you'd need for a rifle. (?) And maybe a .357 mag. revolver if you'd want to pack both? Do you reload ammunition? You could come up with with a good, more than adequate loading for both of those guns. What's the biggest threat you'd deal with where you like riding? Hogs? Cats? Awful people? Just a wonderment as a suggestion here.

I live in Wyoming, and 30 years ago my wife and I had our own horses and spent a lot of mountain time and miles trail riding with a great group of friends. I always had my Ruger NMB .41 R.M. with me on those trips, too, to "Have it and not need it..." But the sobering reason I also had a handgun with me, was in case I had to shoot a horse. Thank God I never had to do that. Most everyone in the group had some sort of firearm with them, too. Never worried about being under-gunned on those rides...

My wife and I still spend time camping and hiking in the big bear country of our state, and what I have with me on those trips is my old Ruger pistol, and also a M94 Marlin carbine in that same .41 mag caliber. I have what I consider a stout, adequate handload to deal with a "situation" in bear country. If used, and hope to God I'll never need to, the shot (s?) would no doubt be a moving target at around 10-15 feet, maybe less. Other than that "many times imagined" scenario, neither of my .41s would need be used on those outings. And since I'm not a' horseback anymore, it'd be a very rare thing indeed if I packed both those guns at the same time. They're on hand for a situation, generally, as separate applications.

Good luck on the trail, Gulfcowboy.
Old February 11, 2021, 02:51 AM   #13
Pathfinder45

The 30-30 or the Cimmaron. Forget about the others.