The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 13, 2021, 08:41 PM   #1
Deltadart

Remington new model Army hammer problem.

I have a Remington NMA which has a problem with the hammer and nipples. The nipples are being damaged by the hammer as it has too much travel. These are very short nipples so there is not an option of just chaning them out. Also the hammer shows impact damage. This pistol has been completely defarbed, and someone spent a great deal of money to have it done. Steel frame, blue is a deep and dark color with a mirror polish. Cylinder lock up excellent, and trigger is very smooth with just a minor amount of creep. Accuracy is at least as good as my either of my Uberti Remingtons. I know it is not of Uberti manufacture, also not Pietta. I do think it is an ASM and the only reason I have to belive that is the s/n numbers appear the same as other ASM revolvers. My thought is to measure from the forward end of the frame to the back of the hammer when down and cylinder in place. Then remove the cylinder and repeat. The difference should give me the excess forward travel. I can then file the hammer a little at a time to get this number within a couple thousands. Does this sound like a correct procedure to fix the problem.
Old January 13, 2021, 09:45 PM   #2
44 Dave

Yes take the hammer face down. I use punch outs of card stock over the nipple to see how the hammer strikes.
Old January 14, 2021, 07:26 PM   #3
Hellgate

Just as a side comment on the mystery maker: Don't forget to look under the barrel where it screws into the frame (where the cylinder pin inserts) for a manufacturer's mark. Sometimes they are secreted there. The Ubertis tend to have a fairly shallow ledge from the top of the frame to the barrel. Other makes have a steeper step down to the barrel.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old January 14, 2021, 11:27 PM   #4
Deltadart

Yup looked there the only thing is the number 4. Possiblly an F in front of that. The work was very good on the defarbing.
Old January 15, 2021, 11:21 PM   #5
Deltadart

As long as I am working on this, does anyone know the proper thread for the nipples on the older Armi San Marco older revolvers.
Old January 16, 2021, 06:57 PM   #6
Hellgate

My older Colt style 1993-4 "Navy"44s & Hartford 1860 Army are 12X28 just like the Ruger old Army.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old January 16, 2021, 08:03 PM   #7
Deltadart

Agreed. I took the nipples out of my Uberti early 70s, Remington .36 and .44. They fit right into the Remington New Model Army in this thread. After very close inspection I think the problem with this revolver is the wrong nipples were used. The thread is correct, but I think they used a cone length of .300 and it should have been the .284
Old January 17, 2021, 06:52 PM   #8
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadart View Post
As long as I am working on this, does anyone know the proper thread for the nipples on the older Armi San Marco older revolvers.
Thread journal length: 0.195" Diameter of base: 0.307" Nipple, 1/4-28 thread, for 1847 Walker & Dragoon revolvers by most mfg. including Armi San Marco, Tucker, Sherrod & Company Dragoon by A. Uberti, for #11 CCI cap, hardened steel Cone length: 0.400"
Old January 18, 2021, 09:05 AM   #9
Deltadart

Good information on the Dragoon & Walker revolvers, do you happen to have the specifications for the Remington New Model Army revolvers?