The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 23, 2020, 01:37 AM   #1
Gulfcowboy

Loading 45 colt for cimmeron frontier

I have a beautiful cimmeron frontier in 45 colt. I practice fast draw with it, and spinning with it. I love the pistol. I've grown very accustomed to the balance of the pistol. I hand load 45 colt, and I want to load some good standard pressure 45colt rounds for it. Does anyone know what kind of pressure it can withstand. I know most loads for 45colt are loaded down. Thanks for any input given.
Old October 23, 2020, 07:51 AM   #2
Bowdog

I use Trail Boss. If you load to the higher end of the chart you will get about 800 fps with 200 gr. RNL.
Old October 23, 2020, 09:38 AM   #3
Jim Watson

My Cimarron is a .44-40 and I just use a "factory equivalent" load right out of the book.
I've used Trail Boss, W231, and 700X that I recall. They all go BANG and I do not see differences for anything less that very careful long range target shooting.
Old October 31, 2020, 06:15 PM   #4
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

All Italian made revolvers are subjected to slightly higher proof standards than American SAAMI standards. SAAMI Max pressure for 45 Colt is 14,000 psi. You can use any standard 45 Colt ammunition in it, you don't have to stick to the 'loaded down' Cowboy ammunition. You must not use any Ruger Only loads in it. If you are going to try any of the Buffalo Bore ammunition, read the website very carefully. Some of their ammo is fine for standard pressures, some is not and must be avoided. Go to their website and you can read exactly what guns various loads are safe in.

I usually load 45 Colt with Black Powder, but my standard Smokeless load is 7.5 grains of Unique under a 250 grain lead bullet. It has been a long time since I ran any over a chronometer, but my loading notebook says this load averaged about 800 fps out of a Colt with a 7 1/2" barrel.

I am going to suggest you stop playing around with your revolver, particularly spinning it. Really easy to drop a revolver when doing that. I also hope you are not playing around with it or practicing fast draw when it is loaded. I don't know if you have one of the newer Ubertis with a floating firing pin, or an older version, but with the older version if you drop the revolver and it lands on its hammer, there is a very good chance it will discharge. I ALWAYS only load a traditional single action revolver with five rounds, with an empty chamber under the hammer.
Old November 7, 2020, 12:47 PM   #5
rclark

Quote:
You can use any standard { SAAMI } 45 Colt ammunition in it, you don't have to stick to the 'loaded down' Cowboy ammunition.
Agree. Shoot .45 Colt to your hearts content (Just no Ruger Only Loads). My general purpose smokeless load is 7.0g Green Dot under 250g RNFP.

As for spinning, that is up to you. Border shifts, The Road Agent Spin, etc. Knowing me ... I practice over a bed so when it drops it plops. And it happens.

Quote:
I ALWAYS only load a traditional single action revolver with five rounds, with an empty chamber under the hammer.
Ditto! I've also started to get in the habit of even loading my Rugers that way even though I know it isn't necessary.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old November 16, 2020, 08:58 AM   #6
smee78

I agree with Driftwood "7.5 grains of Unique under a 250 grain lead bullet." That's what I use in my Rugers, S&W and Marlin chambered in 45C. What does your load book tell ya?
Old November 16, 2020, 06:08 PM   #7
Pathfinder45

The aforementioned load of 7.5 grains of Unique is a mild, easy-shooting load that will not strain your gun. I have probably burned up more Unique than any other powder in 45 Colt because it is excellent for the caliber. 7.5 grains works well and is not a red-line maximum load, so you can shoot a lot of it without worries. Yes, I run more than 7.5 grains in mine, but it's a different gun, so there's that.... All else being equal, (250-255 grain cast lead bullets), I have experimented with this powder from 6.0 grains to, well, more grains and found excellent accuracy at all levels. But for the gun in question here, I would not go above 8.5 grains at the maximum. Since the Cimarron is of similar strength as a Colt, you should not try to make a magnum out of it. To get the most velocity without hurting the gun, there is one powder that is outstanding: Genuine fffG Black Powder; with a maximum charge, it can deliver 1,000fps, but it loads differently than smokeless.... There are a few smokeless powders that can get you close to that, but none better. Heck, just stick with 7.5 grains Unique and be happy.
Now if we were talkin' Ruger Blackhawk....but we ain't.
Old December 30, 2020, 07:22 PM   #8
test drive

I use 7grn of universal and hand cast 230grn truncated rounds. Nice medium load. Easy to clean
Old December 30, 2020, 11:18 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I know most loads for 45colt are loaded down.
The only ammo "loaded down" is for Cowboy Action shooting. It's loaded "light' to give an advantage playing that game.

My SA's are all Ruger new model Blackhawks and a go a bit beyond 7.5gr Unique as my standard load. 7.5gr is a good load in a Colt equivalent, with a little room to go heavier if needed.
Old December 31, 2020, 08:13 AM   #10
Centurion

7.5 grns of Unique should give about 750 fps with a 250 grns bullet, according to the last Lyman manual. Almost a cowboy load...