The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 21, 2018, 05:20 PM   #1
kymasabe

Recommendation for good yet affordable AR muzzle brake ??

I'm thinking of building an AR upper. Actually, I'm thinking of deconstructing an existing upper and rebuilding it differently, and upgrading my barrel to a Ballistic Advantage barrel. I was thinking I'd rather have a muzzle brake than a flash hider. I looked at the prices of the VG6 brakes, and they in the $60/$70 range, and saw a Radical Firearms "Nada" Zero Impulse brake at Primary Arms (on one day super sale for $15 !!) but didn't buy either. VG6 is more than I wanted to spend and the Zero Impulse reviews said lots of blowback into the shooters face, and extremely loud. I know NOTHING about brakes as every AR I've had has the flash hider so can someone recommend a decent middle of the road, works pretty well, doesn't cost a fortune muzzle brake ?
Old July 21, 2018, 05:25 PM   #2
ed308

The VG6 is an excellent muzzle brake. I've used them on .308, 6.5 Creedmoor, 270AR and a TAC6 (6mm wildcat. They are loud but very effective. Hearing protection is a must. $60-70 for a proven brake is a good price. Brakes can easily run north of $200 or more for competition brakes.
Old July 21, 2018, 05:46 PM   #3
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed308 View Post
They are loud but very effective. Hearing protection is a must.
Is "loud" something I should expect from every brake ?
Old July 21, 2018, 05:55 PM   #4
BillM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed308 View Post
They are loud but very effective. Hearing protection is a must.

Is "loud" something I should expect from every brake ?
If the brake re-directs gas to the sides/rear they will be LOUD to anybody standing near.
If the brake only has top ports such as some competition brakes, they will still be loud,
but not quite as bad.
If the brake directs gas forward---Vang Linear comp and similar-----they can
actually be quieter than no brake, but they are not as effective.
Flash suppressors such as the Krinkov or Noveske Flaming Pig and knockoffs also
reduce the level of noise to the shooter, but have no or very little effect on muzzle
rise.

A few years ago one of the competition magazines did a fairly scientific
study of the 5.56 compensators available at the time. The Miculek Comp
did as well as comps costing several times as much. I've currently got three of them---and would probably buy another if I wanted to do a low budget build. Side ports and a few small top ports---not quiet---but under $40

Last edited by BillM; July 21, 2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old July 21, 2018, 06:36 PM   #5
craddleshooter

Before you blow this off, I tried a Stag 3G comp when they first came out. It was 40 bucks and looked interesting. I use battle comps exclusivly. This 3G pushes the barrel down so you come back up onto your target. Just something to look into. I had ADCO in Ohio permanently mount it for me. I don't find it too loud either.
Old July 21, 2018, 08:36 PM   #6
hodaka

I like the Miculek comps.
Old July 21, 2018, 08:37 PM   #7
Targa

I think they are a waste of money on a 5.56/.223, just my opinion. With that said, I have a VG6 Gamma 556 and a cage device to mitigate some of the side blast from the Gamma. I guess it does what it is suppose to over the standard flash hider but I couldn’t say definitively because the rifle had such low muzzle rise to begin with.
Well why the heck did you get it you ask? I had a $100 credit with Aeroprecision just burning a hole in my pocket....
Old July 21, 2018, 09:50 PM   #8
rman43

I like the Kaw Valley Precision linear comps.

https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/K...omps-s/100.htm
Old July 21, 2018, 10:01 PM   #9
marine6680

Just because the AR has low recoil... Does not mean you can't reduce it further...

Most breaks do create blast. It is a necessary byproduct.

Any cage or diverter device over the break will reduce or eliminate the effectiveness of that break.

There are many effective breaks. Some are reasonable in price, others are fairly expensive.

The VG6 is said to be very effective without over driving the muzzle downward. It's also said to not be as bad as some other breaks for blast... But it is still louder at the shooters ear than a flash hider..

If you want to avoid blast... A hybrid device may be the answer.

The balance between break and flash hider will determine how much blast you get and how much muzzle control you get.

VG6 has a hybrid device, it trends toward the break side of the equation.

Personally, I like the BCM Gunfighter Comp.

It is a hybrid device... There is noticeable increase in muzzle control when using it, but it doesn't have much extra blast to the shooters ear, or even to the side, though there is more blast to the side.

My direct experience using the BCM... As the shooter, I don't notice a difference in blast vs an A2 flash hider. When to the side there is more blast, but not obnoxiously so.

The muzzle control gain isn't hige, but it is there and noticeable to me. To me, the balance is where I want it.

There is a test out there for muzzle devices, and I believe the BCM was middle of the pack for effectiveness in controlling recoil.
Old July 22, 2018, 12:27 AM   #10
Armed_Chicagoan

I have a VG6 Epsilon and can confirm it is LOUD to anyone to your left or right side. But very effective and not that loud from behind. But those on either side will feel the concussion!
Old July 22, 2018, 12:45 AM   #11
lordmorgul

I love my VG6 Gamma brakes (I have 3), but I also have this $30 Yankee Hill brake and it is sufficient for a low budget compromise.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...-15-parkerized

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / USCCA member
Old July 23, 2018, 04:56 AM   #12
Mobuck

I don't like muzzle brakes. Muzzle brake to reduce recoil? On a .223, why?
I/we use a "blast forwarder" to reduce the noise at the shooter's ear. Maybe it increases the recoil but again IT'S A .223 so there really isn't much recoil to increase.
Old July 23, 2018, 04:11 PM   #13
TrueBlue711

Watch this video. It's a great comparison between multiple AR muzzle brakes. Be warned: it's testing around 44 brakes and is about an hour long. But good data regarding recoil reduction (not muzzle rise though).

Last edited by TrueBlue711; July 23, 2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old July 23, 2018, 04:50 PM   #14
MarkCO

The Miculek is a good affordable, albeit a little louder than most, comp.

There are a few comps that work well without increasing concussion to the shooter, but they also tend to be a bit more money than the others. Seekins, Gas Hog and Dynamic Resistance (which I hesitate to mention since they are not currently in production).

I will assume that the OP understands the reasons why they want a muzzle break even if some others don't.
Old July 23, 2018, 08:56 PM   #15
wild cat mccane

There is a test of many muzzle brakes. The best one (might be an overstatement) happened to be the cheapest. It's the generic $20 one listed on ebay.

I own it myself.
Old July 24, 2018, 05:45 AM   #16
Mobuck

"I will assume that the OP understands the reasons why they want a muzzle break even if some others don't.""

Please elaborate for the education of others. I certainly don't understand the desire to "break" one's muzzle.
Old July 24, 2018, 06:39 AM   #17
Road_Clam

Me personally think muzzle widgets are a total waste of money on 223/5.56. IMO smarter money would be spent towards a trigger upgrade. But as always it's your money and want's, not mine.
Old July 24, 2018, 08:24 AM   #18
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
Me personally think muzzle widgets are a total waste of money on 223/5.56. IMO smarter money would be spent towards a trigger upgrade. But as always it's your money and want's, not mine.
I'm content with my Hiperfire EDT triggers, and as I stated in my opening post, I really know nothing about brakes as all I've ever had were flash hiders. Having read some of the advice here, it seems like a brake on a .223 is unnecessary and I might as well save my money and stick with a flash hider. I'll revisit the brake idea if/when I build an AR10, or 6.5 creedmore, or .450 bushmaster. Thank you all for your input and advice.
Old July 24, 2018, 10:34 AM   #19
MarkCO

Kynasabe, there are a few reasons to put a compensator on an AR15. 1. To minimize muzzle movement when shooting at very high speed, thereby increasing scores. When we run the V-drill sub 4 seconds (18 As at 5-7 yards) it helps, to the tune of about 3/4 of a second. 2. At low speed and stabilized, to see impacts and or bullet trace. Seeing impacts on small targets helps to make wind corrections on subsequent targets. Seeing trace really helps make corrections.

For 1, most comps will help a little, some more than others. For 2, you really need a good comp along with good glass.

For most ARs, and the people who are shooting them, there really is no need for them. Most of my ARs are set up to go as fast as possible, or for precision, so I do use comps, but different ones depending on the gun set-up, tune and purpose.
Old July 24, 2018, 12:00 PM   #20
Road_Clam

For high power competitions we add lead wedges inside the A2's buttstock. Zero muzzle flip for rapid strings of fire, however the downside is added weight.
Old July 24, 2018, 12:02 PM   #21
marine6680

Shooting at speed... A break helps control the recoil and muzzle.

Makes staying on target in rapid fire easier.

Most don't need such a thing, sitting on a static range or on a hunt. Doesn't mean you can't want one anyway...

Recoil and muzzle control on a precision setup allows you to stay on target and have a good view through the glass, even during the shot. There are many reasons this is desirable for a precision shooter.
Old July 24, 2018, 12:37 PM   #22
wild cat mccane

If you are wearing hearing protection (which you always are), I think brakes more sense as stock attachments than a flash hider.
Old July 24, 2018, 01:01 PM   #23
marine6680

Unless you are next to one... Even with hearing protection, the concussive blast is annoying on its own.
Old July 24, 2018, 01:22 PM   #24
kymasabe

My AR is just a basic do-all rifle. Range use, home protection, occasional hog hunt. No optics, I use Daniel Defense fixed sights. So my interest in a brake would be if it enhanced/improved my shooting experience.
Old July 24, 2018, 04:58 PM   #25
ShaulWolf

A brake isn't really recommended for a rifle that will fill a home defense role. While shooting indoors sucks in general, you'll get more of the concussive blast reflected back towards you. It wasn't near as pleasant for me, as the shooter, using one indoors for close quarters drills. It was worse for my teammates. YMMV.