The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 31, 2018, 04:36 PM   #1
MarkA

Omega 300 on a Ruger SR556

So, ATF cashed my checks yesterday; 11 days after mailing off the Form 4's, so this is getting more real. In the mean time, I've read/watched some stuff as relates to gas on AR's; charging handles and the sealing thereof, buffers, etc.

Generally speaking, what should I be proactively looking at for the SR556 with can, if anything? It's a piston upper as opposed to a DI, so I think that'd probably count for something. Then there are the various settings on the gas block. This and a sparrow will be my first suppressors.

Be gentle.
Old April 1, 2018, 07:52 AM   #2
Mobuck

"So, ATF cashed my checks yesterday; 11 days after mailing off the Form 4's, so this is getting more real. "

So, you'll maybe have your toys by Christmas.

You can spend whatever you want but you won't know what is really needed until you put the muffler on and test fire. Setting the gas proportioning valve to the lowest setting that functions with the muffler is my recommendation. My Adams Arms piston only has 4 settings and allows a "good enough" adjustment. A gas buster CH isn't really a requirement with a piston drive.
Old April 2, 2018, 08:12 AM   #3
MarkA

Quote:
So, you'll MAYBE have your toys by Christmas.
Emphasis on 'maybe'.
Old April 2, 2018, 08:45 AM   #4
TrueBlue711

Go to this website to get a pretty accurate estimate on when you'll get it. I just got my suppressors on Friday and the graph on the site was pretty spot on.

And Mobuck is right, you don't know what you'll really need until you have the can on the gun. I tried prepping my AR a bunch myself prior to getting it, but when I took it out on Saturday with the can attached, I had to readjust my adjustable gas block a lot. Now, it's dialed in just the way I like it.

I bought the SN-ATCH charging handle from Griffin Armament, which is meant to help port gas away from your face. It seemed to work good. I didn't get much gas in my face, but I haven't tested it out using a standard charging handle to see the difference. There are other methods to keep gas out of your face that you can do at home. I posted another thread about charging handles meant for suppressors and people brought those other methods up. Look into doing that if you like.

Piston helps a little bit, but the guts still get dirty. I learned quickly that shooting suppressed is a dirty job. I put my can on my SCAR-H and my FS2000 (both short stroke piston) and gas was still spewing out of the action. It gets everywhere.
Old April 3, 2018, 08:11 PM   #5
Mobuck

"Piston helps a little bit, but the guts still get dirty. I learned quickly that shooting suppressed is a dirty job."
This off the OP but here's what I discovered: I got an Adams Arms retro-fit piston kit and installed it on the DI upper I'd been using the Harvestor on last year. I was surprised at the amount of crud blown into various places on the DI upper even though I'd cut the gas back with an adjustable block. I got it cleaned and the kit installed and then looked at the AA upper I'd been shooting this winter. Huge diff in the actual crud built up. I still get a noticeable amount of fouling in the magazine but fairly insignificant amount inside the upper.
Old April 5, 2018, 05:45 AM   #6
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck
I learned quickly that shooting suppressed is a dirty job.
Amen to this. My 300 BLK shooting 220 gr Leatherhead cast subsonic supressed is a filthy endeavor.

I also ended up removing the Vortex Viper red dot optic from my FNX45T also suppressed from the fact the optic glass would become very dirty after only one mag.
Old April 5, 2018, 07:24 AM   #7
Mobuck

Suppressed AND cast bullets??
Not for me.
Old April 6, 2018, 10:17 AM   #8
jclayto

The leatherhead 220's are have a polymer coating applied over the lead. I have been shooting them for a while on a 8.5" .300 with a Rugged Surge. So far, no signs of leading.