The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 11, 2016, 09:07 PM   #1
sawdustdad

Square Deal Video Powder Monitor

One of the complaints about the Square Deal B reloading press is the difficulty in seeing small powder charges in tall cases. I load a lot of .38 special with small (less than 3g) of powder and there is no way to see the powder level in the case due to press geometry and the small charge in a tall case. You just can't see down into the case to visually verify a powder drop.

Now, I've never, in probably 50,000 rounds loaded, had a failure of any of my three SDB presses to drop a charge. But it has always bothered me that there is just no practical way to monitor the powder drop on this press with some loads. (9mm works fine, you can see the powder charge easily as it nearly fills a short case. .45 ACP, .45 Colt and large charges in .357 Mag, .44Magnum are also easy to see. It's the very small charge in a tall case that is impossible to see.

Until now.

I found an inexpensive borescope on ebay (like $10) that fits in a hole I drilled in my press. It hurt a little to drill that hole, but I don't believe it compromises the press in any real way.

With the borescope inserted and looking down at the top of the case you can see charges at the bottom of the case. In these pictures I am loading 2.7g of 700x in a .38 spl case.

The last two pictures are an empty case and a loaded case.

To be honest, it didn't give me as clear a view as I'd have liked, but it does work. The borescope can be hooked via USB to an android or a computer.

Here are some pictures showing what I did.

Of course, after doing this, I thought maybe I should have just drilled into the bullet seating die...and looked straight down the case. Might try that next.

hole drilled in press, tool head trimmed at an angle. (could have drilled through that, but it would be very close to the edge).

Borescope beside the bullet seating die with the LEDs on

LEDs turned up to max brightness

About the best you can see down a case visually

Borescope view of an empty case

Borescope view of charged case.

Old July 12, 2016, 03:25 PM   #2
alexcue

I'm intrigued with the idea of a camera to view them. Sometimes using Titegroup powder for instance, it's really hard to see down a .357 case!

I just don't think I'd drill my press though!