The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 6, 2018, 07:47 AM   #26
TXAZ

Think about all the tolerances and number of moving parts.
With everything else being equal (and it seldom is) fewer moving parts and tighter tolerances = greater accuracy.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 6, 2018, 08:27 AM   #27
pete2

Based on my experience, my M88 Winchester lever gun out shot all but one of the 6 bolt guns I've owned. The AR will out shoot bolts and the lever gun. I think the bolts out shoot the others theme is left over from the days of the 30-30 and the early semi autos. Taint so today.
Old September 6, 2018, 08:47 AM   #28
Sure Shot Mc Gee

For many years I lusted for a BAR 300 Win Mag. You older fellows know those beautiful engraved belgium made riles racked up in the isle at Sears, Roebuck & Company. Once a week I'd go and stare and lightly touch the one that caught my eye in prior visits.
Never came to fruition. It got sold. Anywho.

Accuracy comes with practice as does repetitiveness in use create speed. I've witnessed a few fellows here and there in my life lever & throw their bolts so quick all the while holding on target. Their shots made? Anyone~~would think such rifles were semi auto.

How good or not a rifles accuracy and quickness to use depends on the feller shouldering and his overall physical condition. As my Father would say: Accuracy is built into all firearm. How to see it? Depends on the guys ability shooting it.
Old September 6, 2018, 09:05 AM   #29
Ben Dover

I have a Browning BAR ll semi auto in .338 WinMag. It holds one MOA with factory ammo.

The main advantage of a semi-auto is felt recoil reduction.

My BAR, with 250 grain loads "feels" like shooting my Winchester Model 70 .30-06 with 150s.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 7, 2018, 09:22 AM   #30
Picher

Being an old target-shooter/handloader/varmint hunter/gunsmithing/deer hunter kind of a guy, I tend to only use rifles that shoot tight groups, whether a rifle having that accuracy is needed or not.

Practically-speaking, a deer rifle that shoots 3" at 100 yards with whatever sighting device may be employed is totally adequate for any deer hunter who shoots deer within 200 yards, since most eastern whitetails are shot at under 100 yards. The worst shot under those conditions with either a scope or red-dot is only about 1 1/2" away from the aiming point and about 2/3rds are less than 1" away.

Regardless of the rifle, open sights are the reason for most shots missing deer under 100 yards away, as people tend to look way over the rear sight.