The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 16, 2017, 03:46 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Lyman Great Plains Pistol barrel change

A while back on this forum somebody had said to me if I wanted a single barrel smothbore pistol with a large bore, reaming out a .54 Lyman GPP barrel would do the trick.

I thought about that and it is something I would be willing to do and have kept my eyes out for a used .54 GPP, but the issue is that .54 calibers are not as common as the .50 calibers are and often, the .50 caliber pistols sell for less.

But I just had a thought: What if I bought a .50 cal and a used or new .54 barrel, could I swap out the .50 barrel and just drop in a .54 barrel?
Old November 16, 2017, 06:04 PM   #2
Model12Win

Probably. I know you can on the Great Plains Rifles.
Old November 16, 2017, 08:15 PM   #3
Hawg

If they're the same across the flats. Most .50's are 15/16 and most .54's are an inch.
Old November 16, 2017, 09:48 PM   #4
rodwhaincamo

This is precisely something I've considered as well. However, if you were intending on using shot, most people claim it isn't useful past 10-15 yds at best.

According to Lyman a drop-in barrel (rifled) can be had, although it doesn't show up in their drop down menu:

https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/..._pistol_p2.pdf

I figured I would buy a .50 cal and have it reamed to a 28 ga.
Old November 16, 2017, 11:34 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

While a spare barrel would be the ideal way to go -figure up the cost of the complete spare barrel as opposed to finding a section of barrel the same size across the flats, reaming it and fitting with a Lyman breech plug. Track of the Wolf may have spare breech plugs - they are pricey but still, a comparison with a complete spare barrel would show if it was the way to go or not. Or, if you could find a rifle barrel the correct size and a spare breech plug, the rifle barrel could be cut in to probably at least three barrels that would give you the option of reaming to smoothbore in different sizes. Just a thought.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 17, 2017, 04:26 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I think so. Commonality of parts makes for easier parts inventory.
Old November 17, 2017, 05:10 PM   #7
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary View Post
I think so. Commonality of parts makes for easier parts inventory.
That's what I was thinking. I saw Hickok recently did some videos on the Pedersoli double barrel shotguns and he took the long barrel off of one and put the Howdah barrel on and it worked.

So Pedersoli does it, I don't see why Lyman wouldn't.

Also, it would be pretty cool to have a 20 gauge smoothbore and a .50 caliber rifled pistol.
Old November 18, 2017, 02:07 AM   #8
rodwhaincamo

24 ga is about as big as one can get with a 15/16" barrel. It's as far as Bobby Hoyt has taken one, though many have said they felt it was unsafe and no one would do such. I've asked...