The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 19, 2012, 11:52 AM   #1
dgludwig

Shotgun for the Car

I'd like to keep a relatively cheap, reliable, weather-resistant, short oal shotgun permanently stored in each of my vehicles (an SUV and a pickup truck). I like the idea of a shotgun because it can be carried legally across most state lines. I plan on carrying it unloaded with the action open (in the case of a double-barrel or single-shot, maybe even broke down).
The shotgun that I think might best fit my needs would be a short, double barrel, the metal made entirely of s/s (or some other rust-resistant finish) and having a synthetic stock. I'd prefer it configured with internal hammers, having double triggers and chambered in twelve gauge.
Anybody know of a shotgun that comes close to these criterias? Thanks for all inputs, opinions and advice.
Old July 19, 2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Don H

Have you, by chance, run across a device to secure the shotgun and help prevent its theft? I know there are some devices for home securement but am curious about automotive applications.
Old July 19, 2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Creeper

Defense SXS? OK, I'll play along. How about the Stoeger "Double Defense"?

Cheers,
C
Old July 19, 2012, 12:43 PM   #4
SamNavy

Just curious what you're going to use this gun for?

If you weren't set on a double-barrel, Mossberg has exactly what you're looking for. They make a "kit" using the Mossberg 500 called the "JUST-IN-CASE" Series.

The "Mariner" model would be your ideal first choice, but I can't seem to find them in stock anywhere. It's got a special coating on it for "marine environements", which fits your needs.

The standard blue'd cruiser can be had in it's own watertight canister or in a nylon carry-bag... and they sell a desert camo version which also seems to have the same marine-proof finish as the Mariner (although in desert camo color).

In any case, they all come in a sealed plastic bag for extra "proofing".

All but the Mariner are in stock at Buds:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/a...s=mossberg+jic

Mossberg website:
http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28
Old July 19, 2012, 04:05 PM   #5
dgludwig

To get a rust-resistant finish, I may well have to settle for a cheap pump. I just thought (hoped) that someone might know of an option that I've never heard of.

Quote:
Just curious what you're going to use this gun for?
I travel long distances in my vehicles on a regular basis, sometimes through areas where you're wise to keep the windows up and the doors locked. Though I have a CCW license and carry a concealed handgun in my own state most of the time, there are times and areas when and where I'm not sure what the local laws and ordinances provide for and I thought having access to a shotgun if I had a vehicle break-down or whatever, might add to my level of security. And I'd like to keep the gun out of sight in the vehicle all year long.
As mentioned in my first post, a shotgun is one weapon that might cause the least raised eyebrows and police angst in the various states and localities I travel in. This is not a huge issue for me. I'm just giving the matter some preliminary thought and I appreciate the advice offered. Creeper's suggestion (the Stoeger "Double Defense" double barrel) is an interesting one as is the Mossberg "Just N Case" idea.
Old July 19, 2012, 11:22 PM   #6
TheKlawMan

What is the good of having a shotgun for defense if it is broken down? All you are doing is giving a car thief something to steal.
Old July 20, 2012, 02:13 AM   #7
Bill from Boomhower,

Kick that ole 12 ga. back under the truck seat!

How about the Norinco 982 Pardner Protector? I've heard they have such high carbon steel that they tend to rust a bit easier than most name brand guns would. However. they are Parkerized which of course is great, and one of the guys posted earlier that you can take off the stocks/forearm, and bake it @ 250 degrees f for an hour, after a vasoline rubdown. After 'seasoning the skilet" wipe off the excess, re-assemble the forearm/stock,and they claim it enhances the finish as well as protects. The guy said that Parkerized finishes really need this, and shouldn't be dry. Makes sense to me, and Iwant one of these guns myself. They're less than 200.00, check 'em out. They're feature packed, just Chinese clones of 870s.
Old July 20, 2012, 02:32 AM   #8
Bill from Boomhower,

P. S.

You can still case or wrap them in a toe-sack or blanket if you prefer, but avoid anything plastic, or that's not too pourus, so as to breathe, but at the cost of these guns, you should be able to "Kick that ole shotgun back up under the truck seat!", without cringing about it. It's not a '68 Wingmaster or something too nice to push down on a barbed wire fence when crossing it, you know, but check out the features it comes with for that price. And, check out the positive feedback from everyone on this gun, and over quite a long time too. The only negative I read about was very consistant. The rear aperture rifle sight needs lock-tite, or better screws, or something, cause recoil will loosen it. That's it. That's all that goes wrong on these guns.
Old July 20, 2012, 04:10 AM   #9
1911Alaska

Is there a reason why your carrying with one not in the chamber? Doesn't make sence to me to not have her ready to go. Unless its a local law issue? Or maybe kids?
Old July 20, 2012, 07:12 AM   #10
Virginian

I would avoid the Stoeger Double Defense. The standard Stoegers with double triggers and extractors have a pretty good track record, but the single trigger models have a bad history. When going cheap, go simple. I would mount a lockable metal box with carriage bolts with the heads to the outside, line it with closed cell foam, and seal it with a small desiccant packet inside. Size to fit your gun, whatever you get.
Old July 20, 2012, 05:05 PM   #11
dgludwig

Quote:
What is the good of having a shotgun for defense if it is broken down? All you are doing is giving a car thief something to steal.
And if it's not broken down the thief wouldn't steal it? As mentioned earlier, I don't envision this idea as a quick response-only giving me a certain level of security in the event my vehicle should break-down or whatever. Most of the time I carry a handgun concealed.
I'm now giving serious thought to putting a Mossberg Model 590A1 six-shot "Mariner", 12 gauge, pump shotgun with an 18.5" long barrel into each vehicle (concealed) and be done with it. Thanks to everybody for their well-considered responses.
Old July 21, 2012, 02:09 AM   #12
TheKlawMan

Quote:
And if it's not broken down the thief wouldn't steal it?
Of course the thief will still it assembled or not, but it offers litte protection if unassembled. As for carrying one in the chamber, I think that is a bad idea unless you want to risk an inadvetent discharge. It only takes a second to rack one.
Old July 21, 2012, 05:05 AM   #13
1911Alaska

Code:
As for carrying one in the chamber, I think that is a bad idea unless you want to risk an inadvetent discharge. It only takes a second to rack one.
Going to have to disagree with you on that. Guns don't shoot themselves so aslong as you are aware of where your gun is and where your trigger is then you will be fine.

What happens if someone runs on you and you don't have time to put one in the chamber? I carry all my guns with one in the chamber, but if you don't feel comfortable with it that is completely understandable.
Old July 21, 2012, 02:27 PM   #14
TheKlawMan

Quote:
What happens if someone runs on you and you don't have time to put one in the chamber? I carry all my guns with one in the chamber, but if you don't feel comfortable with it that is completely understandable.
That is a matter of personal choice and I can't fault yours. Everyone should balance the risks of an accidental discharge agaist the risk of being caught without time to chamber a round. In reaching that decision, I consider how likely it is that someone else will access my gun; if somone might accidentally drop it or in some other way release the sear; and the possibility that I will encounter an uninvited mid night guest.

In the OP's situation, I would think the chances of jarring it in a car is much more likely than in my bedroom, but it turns out he isn't talking about travelling with it even assembled. He would assemble only if stranded with a break down who knows where. He sounds pretty familiar with firearms (probably more than me) and I suspect he would know when the present threat level warranted chambering his shotgun. From what I read it will supplement his concealed carry.

As for shotguns shooting themselves, that is the subject of other threads but it does happen. Two weeks ago an idiot almost shot himself in the face at the range when he set his gun's but down too hard on the concrete. (It looked like all it took was for the gun to slip off of the toe of his boot and strike the concrete) Sears on worn or cruddy actions cansears can fail without jarring.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; July 21, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old July 21, 2012, 03:16 PM   #15
dgludwig

Quote:
In the OP's situation, I would think the chances of jarring it in a car is much more likely than in my bedroom, but it turns out he isn't talking about travelling with it even assembled. He would assemble only if stranded with a break down who knows where. He sounds pretty familiar with firearms (probably more than me) and I suspect he would know when the present threat level warranted chambering his shotgun. From what I read it will supplement his concealed carry.
You condensed it perfectly, TheKlawMan, though the disassembled idea applied only (and maybe) to if the gun was a double or single-shot. If I go with a short-barreled, corrosion-resistant finished pump (which seems more and more likely at this juncture), it will probably be kept in a case, hidden from casual view with the action open.

Again, thanks to everyone for their inputs and ideas.
Old July 22, 2012, 07:13 PM   #16
WV_gunner

For those saying to keep it loaded, what state are you in? Here, only handguns can be loaded in a vehicle on public land and that's only with a conceal carry permit. Otherwise, on public land, all guns have to be unloaded in a vehicle.
Old July 22, 2012, 07:46 PM   #17
FrosSsT

The words "cheap" and "weather resistant" do not go very well together in the world of firearms.
Old July 23, 2012, 12:39 AM   #18
olddrum1

In some states the ammo has to be in a different locked compartment. Gun in front, shells in trunk or locked glove box.
Old July 23, 2012, 11:23 PM   #19
scottd913

Unloaded guns in a car?...may as well carrie a baseball bat!!! In Texas it is legal, your car is consider an extension of you home. No special license required !!!!
Old July 24, 2012, 06:35 AM   #20
WV_gunner

Man, that must be awesome. I'd for sure keep a cheap shotgun under the seat.
Old August 17, 2012, 02:04 PM   #21
Bill from Boomhower,

Yeah,I would too, but I do think I understood him to mean having it and like a box of shells, and a roll of Quikclot tucked away, like a bumper jack. It's there as a spare, since he's conceal carrying anyway, throw in a colapsable rod & reel with small tackle bag, and you might be amazed how often your vehicle breaks down.........right next to the gov. shotgun only hunting areas with creeks/lakes on them. Maybe you should think about carrying MREs and an inflatable raft. Uhh sorry, didn't mean to presume, but it sounds like something I'd do, but then I've got a CB radio with big antenna on my riding mower.
Old August 17, 2012, 04:04 PM   #22
TheKlawMan

Quote:
I've got a CB radio with big antenna on my riding mower.
Now that is living, but does it have small fridge on the back just large enough for a 6 pack?
Old August 17, 2012, 06:21 PM   #23
BigJimP

Wow ....you guys need to get your tin-foil hats loosened up a little ....

A scenario where you have a handgun concealed legally ( probably with at least 17 rds in the gun / maybe a pair of mags holding 34 more rounds ) ...riding in a vehicle...but its such a bad area / you might need more protection ...so you want a long gun ( maybe broken down -- or maybe not / ...maybe loaded - maybe not loaded ...)...so you can fight your way thru the aforementioned bad area if you have to ( if you have time to get it out from where you stored it ...or have time to maybe put it together ..and load it .../ .... or maybe if you break down, you can fight your way back out ....

are you guys serious .. !!!
What the heck have you been watching on late nite TV ....!!! ( re-runs of Star Trek ) ....

I see bleeding Zombie targets at my range for sale ....but I don't think they're Real !!! .......

You should certainly do whatever you want ...it doesn't infringe on my rights....but step back and take a deep breath at least ....stay well !!
Old August 17, 2012, 09:36 PM   #24
scottd913

i agree with interlock.... as far as having my shotgun broke down hiding in my trunk with my spare tire .....WRONG...let me get this str8 in TEXAS it is LEGAL to carry a LOADED SHOTGUN in your car. it was legal before they changed the law that considers your car an extension of your HOME and you now can carry a concealed hand gun LOADED in your car as well. so i do not carry my shotgun in my car any more because i can carry my handgun.
Old August 20, 2012, 04:56 AM   #25
bamaranger

unsafe

I cannot in good faith recommend to anybody to carry a unsecured long gun loaded with a round in the chamber, in a vehicle, and certainly not loose in a vehicle, short of LE or military on a mission where they expaect fire at any moment. Stuff happens, and I would not want a fully loaded 12 gauge clattering around in my veh with the muzzle pointed who knows where, and the safety in what position, while the dogs, the pal or who knows what, bumps, handles or does whatever to the thing. Stuff happens.

LE typically operates in what is known as "cruiser carry", with shotguns, which is a loaded magazine but the chamber empty. Making ready simply requires cycling the action. Same for patrol carbines.

There is a huge difference between a loaded handgun secured in a holster on your person, and a loaded long gun loose in the passenger compartment.

One might make an arguement for a handgun, such as a DA revolver in a storeage compartment in a vehicle, but my objection there is that the darn things get left in the vehicle to be stolen, or are in the vehicle when bad things happen and you are out on foot. MOre than one handgun loose in a vehicle has been lost in when an incident went bad and the gun "got away" in the shuffle. (like the FBI Miami episode)