The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 10, 2017, 08:56 AM   #1
ligonierbill

Barnes XPB

I have tried a lot of Barnes bullets. In a number of my rifles, their TTSX give outstanding groups, and their 80 grain TTSX is my go to in .243. The TAC-XP, on the other hand, is not my favorite in defensive pistols. Too slow. Maybe it's me.

In any case, I have only loaded one of the revolver XPBs, the .357 140 gr in my GP-100. It does very well, matching the velocity of conventional 158 JHP with good accuracy. I am about to try my second XPB, the .475 275 gr in my Super Redhawk (.480 Ruger). Barnes gets 1,500 fps from the same 7 1/2" barrel.

What is your experience with the XPB? Any caliber - I know there are not a lot of .480 shooters out there.
Old November 11, 2017, 02:53 AM   #2
DaleA

Uh, maybe not as many as you thought.

I'd be interested in a range report of how your Barnes .480 Ruger rounds perform once you get the info.
Old November 11, 2017, 01:08 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

All I can tell you is that my loads with the .475" 275 gr XPB went bang and had the same POI at 25 yards as the 325 gr WFNs that I tested along side. I didn't take the chronograph that day.
I don't have the data available right now, but I was probably using 2400 or H110 for powder.

My only complaint about the XPBs that I've tested (.44 and .475) are that they don't play nicely with some rifles ... not that they were designed for such.
Old November 12, 2017, 05:30 PM   #4
disseminator

I shoot the 275 XPB in my 460 S&W. I'm gonna (try to) shoot a Deer with one this week. They are very good at the range as are most Barnes Bullets.

I'll report back if I'm able to shoot one.
Old November 17, 2017, 03:56 PM   #5
ligonierbill

OK, I got the Barnes copper wonders to the range. They look pretty good. Interesting that Barnes did not test (or publish if they did) any H110 loads. They did print a AA#9 workup, and I have a good supply of that. So, a half grain below the Barnes max (25) I got 1,567 avg/5.8 Std with the 275 XPB. That's faster than they measured (same length bbl), but all cases, even at max, dropped right out of my Super Redhawk. I did not shoot from a rest; need to do that. But the group looked good. Might be me getting used to the pistol, but I will try some more of these.

I am liking the round and the SRH. Not at all unpleasant to shoot. One might ask why, when a .44 Mag or several other rounds will serve for North American hunting. Can't answer that. Right now, I'm just havin' fun.
Old November 17, 2017, 06:26 PM   #6
DaleA

Quote:
Can't answer that. Right now, I'm just havin' fun.
Thanks for coming back and posting. I've never used any Barnes bullets but you are another person that has chimed in with results that show Barnes velocity numbers are good numbers. Maybe next time I buy I'll try some.

P.S. I am an admitted Ruger fan and a Redhawk or Super Redhawk is definitely on my bucket list.
Old November 18, 2017, 01:00 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

I had the same experience with my 7.5" SRH (first-run 6-round version).
Surprisingly pleasant to shoot. Even better than what could be called 'equivalent' loads in either of my .44 Mags -- 6.5" S&W 29, and 7.5" SBH.

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Right now what I'm running through the .480 are some 425 gr WFNs sitting on top of 17.0 gr 2400. I don't know if that's published as a safe load and don't currently have access to my manuals. As such, I included the forum's standard disclaimer. That being said...
When you touch one off, you know you just launched a serious chunk of lead with enough velocity to ruin anything's day, but it's not really offensive at all; and it's much more pleasant than a hot 350 gr bullet out of either of the .44s (or even a .44 Mag SRH that one of my uncles only ran 350s in).