The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 30, 2017, 04:12 PM   #1
MTT TL

What Security Measures Do You Take at a Public Range?

I don't go to the range often. But if I want to shoot over 100 yards I sometimes do. The only range near me is open (mostly) to the public and free so it gets a lot of use.

The last time I was there, there were some shady looking characters trying to figure out how to shoot an AK pistol. Other than being worried about them flagging the line and possibly killing someone I was also worried about leaving my guns on the table when I went down to check targets. 100 yards away while checking the targets they could easily toss them in their car and made off with them, had I given them the opportunity.

Was wondering what other people do?

If you just want to check in to say "I don't shoot at public ranges they are yucky" that's fine but not so helpful.
Old October 30, 2017, 04:53 PM   #2
Rangerrich99

A few times a year I shoot in the desert near my town, which is essentially a very large, free, but uncontrolled shooting range. As it's free and nearby, it gets a lot of use.

The only things I do security-wise are to always go with a buddy, so that one of us is always 'guarding' the guns, or if I am by myself, only have one gun out at a time, or I'll disassemble my gun and put the slide in my pocket. If it's a rifle, I'll put the bolt in my pocket.

For what it's worth, I've never had anyone even try to steal one of my guns while shooting in the desert. Had one of my rubber targets stolen once.

My best suggestion to you is to bring someone with you though. Also it's a lot more fun to shoot with a couple other buddies.
Old October 30, 2017, 05:23 PM   #3
JWT

The public range I use is run by the county and is manned when open. There are alway two range officers on duty and they watch things like hawks. No security issues at all there.
Old October 30, 2017, 06:05 PM   #4
Metal god

This is a good topic for me to come across because I plan to go shoot at an unsupervised free range in the near future . My first thought was to never go alone , always keep a holstered loaded firearm on you ( open carry as a deterrent ) and only one of you goes down range .

Although there is multiple ranges where I'm going . The reason I'm going is to shoot at there 1000yd range . Obviously 1k is a long way to go down range so clearly someone would need to stay behind at the line to let anyone arriving know there are people down range .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; October 31, 2017 at 02:55 AM.
Old October 30, 2017, 06:16 PM   #5
TXAZ

My biggest fear is having the .50 BMG stolen and used in something tragic.
I prefer to go to a paid range with a range officer.
Not only do they collect ID’s but the clientele seems to be a little less shady and knowledgeable of the rules.
When in AZ, we would go to free places but some of the other shooters were questionable.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 30, 2017, 06:34 PM   #6
Bayou

My range has good numbers of range offices on duty - at least 2 on the pistol side and 4 on the shotgun/rifle side. Supervision is very close and tight. It is a public range with low admission fee run by a non-profit company.

Absent this level of supervision at your range, concur with buddying up for your range trips...

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"
Old October 30, 2017, 10:48 PM   #7
tony pasley

Always use the buddy system for safety and security. Plus they can help carry extra ammo and drinks and snacks.
Old October 31, 2017, 01:12 AM   #8
globemaster3

I use large, homemade target stands that can hold 6-8 of the 10" Dirty Bird or Shoot-N-C targets and I use a spotting scope from the bench.

This way, I can shoot a lot without having to go downrange and check my targets or run out of space on the target stand to shoot.

All of this, and I normally have at least 1 of the kiddos with me when I go, so someone is always next to our gear.

I also park with the back of my truck up against my spot on the firing line. If I need to go downrange and retrieve my stands at the end of shooting, the guns are packed up and locked up in the truck first.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old October 31, 2017, 05:01 AM   #9
JT-AR-MG42

I'll second globemasters thoughts because going with a buddy
is not always feasible.

I take three shooting stands that give me 20 targets on two of them with the third set up for sighters/sight adjustment.

Quality scope on a tripod is also a 'don't forget' item.

If I am shooting in the sticks by myself, I always choose spots that allow me to hear (electronic muffs) and/or see a rig before they see me.
Not feeling paranoid, I just don't like being surprised.

FWIW, you were probably correct to go with your first instincts around folks that made you
feel uncomfortable.
I have left a shooting area early because of a latecomers' unsafe activities.
It's part of my 'You're nuts, you win' philosophy.

JT
Old October 31, 2017, 10:03 AM   #10
reynolds357

Quote:
I don't go to the range often. But if I want to shoot over 100 yards I sometimes do. The only range near me is open (mostly) to the public and free so it gets a lot of use.

The last time I was there, there were some shady looking characters trying to figure out how to shoot an AK pistol. Other than being worried about them flagging the line and possibly killing someone I was also worried about leaving my guns on the table when I went down to check targets. 100 yards away while checking the targets they could easily toss them in their car and made off with them, had I given them the opportunity.

If you just want to check in to say "I don't shoot at public ranges they are yucky" that's fine but not so helpful.
I don't worry about it. Never had anything stolen at the shooting range. I probably fit into the category of "shady looking" so you probably would think I was stealing your stuff.
Old October 31, 2017, 10:38 AM   #11
zincwarrior

I had not considered the need for security at a public range. This has been disconcertingly enlightening.
Old October 31, 2017, 10:44 AM   #12
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT TL View Post

I have used a range that is open to the public and which is used periodically by the local police department in a somewhat rural area. People come and go and it is pretty common where there is only one person, at least for a short time. I'm probably paranoid for thinking this but there is nothing to stop anyone from swinging by the range, find there is only one person, walk up or shoot at a distance with a gun to take their firearms, money, etc. Guns and gunfire are obviously common at the range and wouldn't attract any attention.
Old October 31, 2017, 10:55 AM   #13
zincwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATN082268 View Post
I have used a range that is open to the public and which is used periodically by the local police department in a somewhat rural area. People come and go and it is pretty common where there is only one person, at least for a short time. I'm probably paranoid for thinking this but there is nothing to stop anyone from swinging by the range, find there is only one person, walk up or shoot at a distance with a gun to take their firearms, money, etc. Guns and gunfire are obviously common at the range and wouldn't attract any attention.
IIRC but thats how the bank robbers that shot up the FBI guys obtained some of their firearms this way. EDIT: they stole his car.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout
Old October 31, 2017, 03:13 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

I can never find a link to an article, since it wasn't a national story and was in the infancy of internet-based local news; but there was an incident at a range outside Salt Lake City in the late '90s.
Two career criminals passing through Utah on I-80 noticed a gun range.
They stopped and waited for the right moment; then threw a bunch of guns into a duffel bag and backpack when most of the shooters were down-range. Shots were fired. A few people were injured. I can no longer remember if anyone died.
A quick little hop down the hill, and they were back on I-80.
They were later caught after a chase and multiple car-jackings.

----

Personally...
The only range I use is at the end of a dirt road, hidden in a little valley, behind a locked gate, and next to the police range.
I go early in the morning on weekdays, which means I am almost always alone. Rarely - very, very rarely - does another person show up before 10 or 11 am ... especially in the winter, which is my primary season for range visitation.

The location (you have to know it's there), locked gate, and proximity to the police range which is nearly always in use seem to keep people away that aren't there to shoot.

The layout and location of the range, wash-boarded road, and gravel parking lot also mean that using electronic muffs will let a person hear any vehicle approaching, or any person walking around. It is very easy to keep tabs on vehicles and/or people coming, going.

Even so... I never go without my daily carry or something carried openly.
I almost never have more than one firearm on the bench at a time.
I try not to get tunnel vision and keep tabs on what's going on around me - whether while shooting, or while down range checking the target.
Old October 31, 2017, 03:14 PM   #15
stephen426

I would also prefer to go with a buddy. Either that, or avoid "public ranges" that don't have range officers keeping an eye on everything. Even with a buddy, they can easily rob you guys and possibly kill you if there are more of them.
Old October 31, 2017, 05:22 PM   #16
Mike38

I no longer go to "free" public ranges. The last one that I did go to, was owned / ran by the state dept of Conservation. It was on an unusually busy day. I walked down range to change my target, and when I turned to come back, at least 5 of the 20+ people behind the line were handling guns. Anything from a M1911 to an AR15 to a .30 caliber bolt rifle. I proceeded to politely but sternly remind everyone that there should be no handling of firearms while the range is cold and people are down range changing targets. They all looked at me as if I was speaking a foreign language. Also, there was a couple "shady" looking guys looking closely at my $3k custom rifle. Made me nervous. Never again. I'll pay to shoot at a range that has a range officer.
Old October 31, 2017, 06:45 PM   #17
FireForged

I use the same security measure I apply to any other activity in public.

I pay attention
I am armed
I remove myself from circumstance that I am not comfortable with

If I am alone at the range, I do not leave weapon on the bench for someone to take. I don't usually go alone.. I would use too much ammo.

I have left the range when people behave oddly, recklessly, suspiciously. Although I can count those occasion on one hand, they can occur at any time. One thing I will not do is act as some sort of self imposed range official. I am not going to scold anyone, give instructions, warnings, advise or any of that jaz. I simply wont be that guy. If I do not like what is happening, I will leave. Its not worth it to me to try and talk sense into someone who clearly is already lacking in that department.

Last edited by FireForged; October 31, 2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old October 31, 2017, 08:28 PM   #18
hdwhit

Quote:
What Security Measures Do You Take at a Public Range?
On the whole, I don't go to public ranges where I can avoid it. I see too many people who don't know what they're doing to really feel safe. In fact, I've been at ranges before where I was firmly convinced that the safest place would have been to stand 100 yards downrange with the targets since all the dilettantes talking about how they had to have this gun or that gun because it was capable of shooting "sub-MOA" were barely getting on paper, much less putting a string or rounds in a group you could cover with a silver dollar.
Old November 1, 2017, 06:47 PM   #19
Kevin Rohrer

Since the range I belong to is anti-handgun, there is no holster-carry allowed. I just have to hope for the best.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old November 2, 2017, 01:42 AM   #20
jugornot

I can think of many more opportune places for thieves to haunt. Wouldn't think robbing a gun store would be healthy either. I have no personal knowledge of any robberies happening. The range I belong to is only open to the public on Fri, Sat and Sun. I avoid those days, but have not had any problems when there and the range is open. Being in North Carolina I have more problems with talkative people who want to discuss everything under the sun, and I want to shoot.

Last edited by jugornot; November 2, 2017 at 01:48 AM.
Old November 2, 2017, 02:36 AM   #21
Metal god

I'm a member of a large range that has 6 separate ranges . 3 of them have 30 lanes each and on the weekends there is often a waiting list in the mornings . Mostly because the weekends are also the days many of the ranges have competitions going on so you often only have half the lanes available until about noon .

Anyways , there has been 2 guns stolen in the 5 years I've been a member while the range was open and there are RSO on every range. With the main 300yd range having at least 3 ( often 4 or 5 ) with any other having no less then two . The RSO can't watch your stuff because they don't know who has what . These are all out doors ranges with gun racks behind the line that are quite full on busy days . You'd have to have some big ones but I figure it would not be hard to steal a gun from the range . The best place to keep your guns ( other then your car ) when down range checking targets . Is on the shooting bench . Although when the range is cold you are not to handle ANY firearms . The shooting line is completely off limits so if someone grabs a gun off a bench , IT IS NOTICED . While if you grabbed one off the rack and put it in a case real fast . You'd get a few stink eyes and maybe someone says something but your chances would be much better off a rack .

I was shooting one day with my dad there and a few friends . My friends wanted to go shoot some pistol and so did I . So I left most of my stuff down at the main range ( 2 AR's , 308 target rifle ) and my range bag , rest etc with my dad at the bench next to his . That very well may have been the dumbest thing I've done at the range next to shooing a bee away with a loaded 1911 . Nothing was stolen or anything but all I could think about when shooting pistol was the firearms I left down the road about 250yds away . Not likely to happen again .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 2, 2017, 02:36 AM   #22
MTT TL

Gun stores get robbed fairly often. More likely they will get burgled though.
Old November 2, 2017, 02:42 AM   #23
Metal god

Quote:
Gun stores get robbed fairly often.
We had a guy use a fake ID at a indoor range here in San Diego that rented a FN Scar . He went in to shoot for awhile then put the Scar in one of his cases and walked right out the door with it . I don't believe they ever caught the guy either and they had good security video of the guy .

I just found this . Turns out the guy was robbing/stealing from a few stores and the owner of one recognized him and called the police while he was still in his store
http://fox5sandiego.com/2015/12/20/g...ted-gun-thief/

Last edited by Metal god; November 2, 2017 at 02:48 AM.
Old November 2, 2017, 12:14 PM   #24
JJ45

The range I use is secluded and although the access gate has a lock, the range can be accessed in other ways if someone plans a dirty deed there.

I read a Massad Ayoob book about very dangerous criminals and famous shootouts. It had a chapter about two guys, ex special forces boys, that caught a shooter unawares at a secluded range, surprised him, shot him and took his guns! They then went on a murderous shooting spree.

Ever since I read this, when at the range, I am always "looking over my shoulder" it's called SITUATIONAL AWARENESS!

When shooting a long arm, I am always armed with a concealed handgun and always sling my rifle on my shoulder when checking, setting up, or arranging targets down range.

When it gets close to hunting season and the once a year guys frequent the range to check zeros, etc. I am nowhere to be found near that range as the breaking of safety rules are unreal and I'm thankful and not a little surprised that there hasn't been a tragic "accident" up there during this time.