The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 27, 2017, 02:38 PM   #1
coyotewsm

Has anyone had experience dealing with new England firearms?

I bought a 20ga youth model pump about 5 years ago. It has been shot very little. Yesterday I went out to patern the gun in preparation for a dove trip next weekend. After shooting I discovered the gun is shooting low and to the left and upon further inspection it appears the barrel is bent my assumption is that it was like that from the factory. Is there any chance New England would correct the problem?
Old August 27, 2017, 03:48 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

New Engand Arms, formerly a branch of Remington, is no more, closed down, and sold off. Highly unlikely that a bent barrel is a factory defect, but no matter as no service is available. A competent gunsmith can take the bend out. I could, have done several rifles and shotguns, but I closed down a while back. GW
Old August 27, 2017, 05:53 PM   #3
FITASC

You have that option or try to find a used one for the parts.

You sure the barrel is bent and it isn't just due to the gun not fitting you?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 27, 2017, 09:55 PM   #4
dreaming

Could it be that the barrel isn't bent but you have a bad choke?
Old August 28, 2017, 12:22 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

New England Firearms, aka NEF, has been gone for years. First sold to H&R then H&R was sold to Marlin who were sold to Remington(actually Freedom Group in 2007.). Then closed altogether in 2015.
Dunno if current Pardner barrels will fit, but I'm guessing(a very wild and hairy guess) they will. Takes a phone call to find out. Try this number. Phone: (866) 776-9292.
Or this. Fax: 336-548-7801
Gunparts is sold out of Pardner barrels. Although they say 'out of stock'. Might be worth a phone call.
"...appears the barrel is bent..." Put a straight edge on it or roll it across a glass table top to be sure.
It'd likely cost as much as a new Maverick 88 to have the barrel straightened, but any decent shotgun smithy can do it. There's an NEF 20 gauge pump with changeable chokes on Gunbroker for $100 with no bids.
Old August 29, 2017, 07:06 AM   #6
old fart

i bought a new england pardner pump a few years ago, it was the home defense model and shot deer with it and it did great. a friend wanted it and offered me more than a new one as he said he wanted one already tested, i sold it and what a mistake. i bought another just like it, took it hunting aimed at the deer lung area and shot the top of her head off. it shot with slugs or shot high and right. i thought it would have shot the same so i didn't practice. i have since went with the maverick 88 and have never had trouble, even with the stevens 320 down to $140 new i still prefer the 88 at $190. after market support means a lot when you need it to me.
Old August 29, 2017, 03:23 PM   #7
dreaming

IIRC to get another barrel for a NEF Pardner you had to send the gun to the factory. You couldn't just order a barrel. Why I don't know, but I assume it had to be fitted to the receiver.