The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 30, 2014, 05:41 PM   #1
nathanl

frog lube questions

I recently switched all of my firearms over to froglube due to suggestions from my brother and a few others as well as my wife not liking the smell of most solvents. So I have a couple questions if anyone know a bit more about this stuff then i do. the first one is iv read a few places that you need to go through the whole process of the initial application witch I have done and then to take the gun and put some rounds through it then take it apart and basically start the process over except the getting old solvents off part as in using a hair dryer to heat up the parts and cover with frog lube let sit for a hour or two them wipe off all excess. Is it necessary to do the heating and applying a second time? And if it is my second question is is it necessary to fire the gun between the first application and the second or can I just repeat the process a second time before firing and still have it work the same. Thank you for any and all help.
Old November 30, 2014, 07:15 PM   #2
AK103K

I dont believe that they say you need to heat the gun anymore, at least the last number of bottles I had, no longer had that in the instructions on the label.

I do believe they recommended you do it for long term storage, on their web site. (They go into more depth on things there.)

I heated the gun with a hair dryer initially, the first couple of times, and then didnt bother as time went on.

They say that the FL isnt comparable with other stuff, may be, I dont know. I used to just degrease the gun with Gun Scrubber as best I could the first time, and then just cleaned it with FL as usual. Never had any troubles.

I used the "paste" as grease, for the most part, but it also works well on your brushes. The liquid tends to go fast, in normal cleanings.

I also tried their "solvent". I woundnt waste your money on it. I dont think it did much of anything. I think the CLP does a better job..
Old November 30, 2014, 07:44 PM   #3
nathanl

Thanks for the info ak103k. It wasn't frog lubes website I read that on. I read it in a couple things online doing somesome reading on best way to use frog lube but I did also read a few that say what you say about a second time isn't necessary just figured I'd ask around about it. What do you use for getting copper fouling out of the barrel?
Old November 30, 2014, 07:51 PM   #4
AK103K

Copper removal was always a worry/complaint of mine with the FL. That, the price, and one issue with some rust in one of my revolvers, drove me back to Hoppes, and a few of the older things I used to use.

FL does smell good, and leave your hands silky smooth though.

Tags
clean , froglube , lubes , solvents