The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 18, 2008, 07:25 PM   #1
Celicabob

Winchester Model 1904 Disassembly

Hello,
This is my first posting to the forum & I need some help!
Does anyone know how to take down an old 22 cal rifle, Winchester Model 1904, 22 short / 22 long? The gun is in pretty good shape for it's age.
It belonged to my girlfriend's grandfather and I wanted to clean it up for her.
Thank you for any help,
Bob
Old August 20, 2008, 10:25 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Model 1904 is an inexpensive, single shot, bolt action boy's rifle distinguished mainly by the rear trigger guard extension curved to form a sort of pistol grip.

IIRC, takedown is simple. Make sure the rifle is unloaded. Then, to remove the bolt, open it and pull back while pulling the trigger. To remove the barrelled action from the stock, unscrew the large head takedown screw in the bottom of the stock. With the action out of the stock, all the parts are exposed for inspection, cleaning and lubrication.

I don't recommend disassembling the bolt; if it is gummed up, soak it in Kroil or another good penetrant, then put on some light oil.

In regard to shooting, it is an old gun and never top of the line, but some shooting shouldn't hurt it. Since it is chambered for .22 Short and .22 Long, a .22LR might not seat due to the different bullet shape. It might be better to stick to shorts. I suspect the barrel is in poor shape (due to the corrosive priming of that era); whether it can be cleaned up I don't know.

Jim
Old August 21, 2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Celicabob

Thank you

Thank you Jim for the info on disassembly. I'll give it a try the next time I'm at her house.
Bob